2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Anybody notice the tinest of Blade Rap near the tip of their Clip blade after closing? I do the finger nail test after sharpening to see if I missed any part of the edge or consistency of sharpening and noticed on both my Stag and GBM developed just a very minute area where the blade raps against the back spring. Sure enough after skating off the nail I looked and there's a very small blunt area 1/4" back from the tip of the Clip on both knives.

This is not a big deal for me as continued sharpening will cure the problem most times (worked on a couple of my 85's) but on both of my 29's I wasn't eliminating this (very minor) issue. I did graduate up to a round/flat cutting wheel on my dremel to lightly work a very small channel in the back spring and Viola!!! all good:thumbsup: Now this may cause discern among some members here but I've done it before with a 66 and there too it corrected what sharpening wouldn't.

This is NOT a complaint against GEC because MANY brands have this issue in certain knives. Not sure if there's a bigger GEC fan than me and because I can rectify the issue there is no need to send back for something I can do:thumbsup: I also know you can walk the blade closed but I don't do thato_O;):)

I didn't notice any blade rap on any of my examples but I'm glad that you brought this up.

On all three of mine the tip of the main is slightly protuberant when closed. You can easily slice open a fingertip when passing it over this area of the knife. So, I was contemplating filing the kick to make the tip set lower. Based on your experience, this effort would likely induce blade rap where none exists now.

On all three of mine the tip of the main is slightly protuberant when closed. You can easily slice open a fingertip when passing it over this area of the knife.

It's not so much that it's protrudes, it's definitely no higher than the tops of the bolsters. It's that the little "well" of the bolsters and the bottom of the center spring that wraps around is large enough for the pad of my finger to easily settle in and catch the tip of the main blade.

I don't own any other multi-blade traditional folders, but this is a pretty terrible design for something I might be fidgeting with in my pocket.

Arrived Friday. Great little hunks of stag on it but I don't know if I'll keep it. Just can't see using it over my Osage; too pretty maybe. Decisions, decisions.

Dg5cS2L.jpg

My #29 Grits w/ Butter & Molasses Acrylic doesn't have the backwards "PPP", just normal. I'm sure the ones with it backwards will become collectible amongst a small group.

Anybody notice the tinest of Blade Rap near the tip of their Clip blade after closing? I do the finger nail test after sharpening to see if I missed any part of the edge or consistency of sharpening and noticed on both my Stag and GBM developed just a very minute area where the blade raps against the back spring. Sure enough after skating off the nail I looked and there's a very small blunt area 1/4" back from the tip of the Clip on both knives.

This is not a big deal for me as continued sharpening will cure the problem most times (worked on a couple of my 85's) but on both of my 29's I wasn't eliminating this (very minor) issue. I did graduate up to a round/flat cutting wheel on my dremel to lightly work a very small channel in the back spring and Viola!!! all good:thumbsup: Now this may cause discern among some members here but I've done it before with a 66 and there too it corrected what sharpening wouldn't.

This is NOT a complaint against GEC because MANY brands have this issue in certain knives. Not sure if there's a bigger GEC fan than me and because I can rectify the issue there is no need to send back for something I can do:thumbsup: I also know you can walk the blade closed but I don't do thato_O;):)

I didn't notice any blade rap on any of my examples but I'm glad that you brought this up.

On all three of mine the tip of the main is slightly protuberant when closed. You can easily slice open a fingertip when passing it over this area of the knife. So, I was contemplating filing the kick to make the tip set lower. Based on your experience, this effort would likely induce blade rap where none exists now.

My acrylic's clip point tip was the same way. The tip would have been too close to proud for my liking even if it was a single blade, but with the wide blade well and the tip protruding past the tangs of the two other blades it was quite easy to catch a finger on the tip. So much so that I think it was beyond a matter of aesthetic preference and actually would have caused issues in use (when using one of the secondary blades).

I decided to drop the kick on the clip point some. I didn't really drop it much, it was still close to proud in my humble and picky opinion. But it developed a bunch of blade rap at the belly. I ended up having to sharpen it A BUNCH to remove the blade rap, so much so that the tip has also receded to being a millimeter or two from being equal with the tangs of the two secondaries.

So really my fault, but yes I had some blade rap but removed it and made the tip not a safety issue anymore.

Psst, there’s an online shop with some stag and bloodwood in-stock as of today. The prettiest stag is coming my way, but there’s still a few left to choose. Wasn’t planning on getting one of these...you know how that goes.

I just received my bloodwood today and wow what a knife

nOelazn.jpg

I have been concerned about GEC’s quality control but this knife is wonderful. Everything is super refined and so well put together. The pull on the main is weak, about a 4, but very smooth. The secondaries are about a 5 and also super smooth and precise. All blades also have a flush spring at half stop - a very nice touch. Definitely a keeper

I just now received my blood red jigged bone #29 after a non-essential USPS excursion through a neighboring state. The fall colors aren't even out yet, I don't know why it had to go sight-seeing! But man-o-man, what a knife! Easily the best walk and talk of any of my Stockyard Whittlers, with a crisp, solid and snappy action of 5-6 on all three blades. The bone color is deeply saturated and just the right shade for blood. It's interesting how light makes a difference, but look at these two pics. The one on the redwood railing of our deck was with the sun out, and the gray background was just a minute's difference, but with a cloud overhead. The way it looks indoors is somewhere in between, and all look great to me! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: GEC.

BwL9lvE.jpg

5m3xPS7.jpg

I just now received my blood red jigged bone #29 after a non-essential USPS excursion through a neighboring state. The fall colors aren't even out yet, I don't know why it had to go sight-seeing! But man-o-man, what a knife! Easily the best walk and talk of any of my Stockyard Whittlers, with a crisp, solid and snappy action of 5-6 on all three blades. The bone color is deeply saturated and just the right shade for blood. It's interesting how light makes a difference, but look at these two pics. The one on the redwood railing of our deck was with the sun out, and the gray background was just a minute's difference, but with a cloud overhead. The way it looks indoors is somewhere in between, and all look great to me! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: GEC.

BwL9lvE.jpg

5m3xPS7.jpg
Yep,it is a great knife. It is the only GEC pattern that I ever wanted two of. That's why I have a Blood Red on the way too.

I've been carrying mine on and off for the past couple of weeks and like it a lot. Its a winner. I was initially a little disappointed that I missed the maple ones, but the blood red bone is really good looking and the jigging is excellent :thumbsup:

So disappointed I missed this one !!

One of 12...
"Great Eastern really surprised me with these. The etching on the blade is really nice and has American Whittler spelled out. Only a dozen of these knives were made, yet they created a custom label for the tubes. They even made a commemorative button. These knives are truly unique offerings resulting from the run of the model 29’s"

Back