2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

For the most part, wouldn’t that be an Oil Field Jack (86) minus the awl? Little shorter than 4” but not by much.

While it would be similar in size I think that the blade arrangement and three backspring construction would be very interesting. Maybe put in a spear main blade.

Mr Howard if you're reading this :) the pattern number should be 41.

Last edited:
Glad to see this post come back to the front page! The only #29 I was able to grab was one of the M&G models, and I carry it often. A tremendous amount of knife in a very small package. I wish I'd been able to snag one of those coffee acrylic SFOs, such a beautiful knife in the pictures I've seen of those.

An outstanding knife for its size. I carry the Osage & Stag quite a bit.

JxjgksH.jpg

vrgyTir.jpg

Yes, these are a pretty outstanding effort by GEC. This blade combo is not one often produced by GEC (or any cutlery company, for that matter), so when it came up, I probably erred on the side of buying too many. But I'm glad I did. I think we will look back on these in 5 years as one of the greats.

qvIn5BC.jpg

YqwhNj0.jpg

Yes, these are a pretty outstanding effort by GEC. This blade combo is not one often produced by GEC (or any cutlery company, for that matter), so when it came up, I probably erred on the side of buying too many. But I'm glad I did. I think we will look back on these in 5 years as one of the greats.

During these covid times, spending to much time alone, pointedly pretending politics don't exist (since I already agree with me), my mind tends to wander in unproductive ways o_O During those times when it turns to knives (;)) and I play the hypothetical, "which knives would you keep if you decided to only keep 5 (or 10)", the 29 always makes the list thumb.gif

qvIn5BC.jpg

YqwhNj0.jpg
The blood wood covered knives are amazing!
During these covid times, spending to much time alone, pointedly pretending politics don't exist (since I already agree with me), my mind tends to wander in unproductive ways o_O During those times when it turns to knives (;)) and I play the hypothetical, "which knives would you keep if you decided to only keep 5 (or 10)", the 29 always makes the list View attachment 1490046
Yep, I would keep a #29.

Here you can see the differences between a GEC #29 @ 3.60" closed and a Schrade #8041 @ 3.84" closed. Very similar, but not exact frame shapes.

sOI1fa2.jpg

ZMET4hX.jpg

It's interesting to me that the GEC has a shorter clip main with a longer coping, and the Schrade goes for a longer clip with the shorter coping (my preference).
A 4" version of either one would just be more of a good thing, IMO.

Bump for the #29 thread. Love this knife, been in my pocket 7 days now. Its a store model but as much as I've looked it over, cant find a single flaw, other than maybe it's because the spring pin isnt perfectly round. 20210619_075418_copy_816x612.jpgEven had some help chicken eyeing20210613_144120_copy_612x816.jpg

Back