2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Thank you for your condolences.
A 29 has been in my pocket everyday since I got my first one. It gets paired with other random daily carries but a 29 is always the foundation.

Went back home for my sisters funeral and spent some time with my best friend afterwards. He was admiring my blood red jigged 29 that I had so I gave it to him. I had carried the GBM 29 occasionally and started tuning up the edge today and decided to put my edge on all of them (except the snakewood as it's the prototype) including my spare blood red. If the snakewood wasn't the prototype I'd have one for every day. Oh well I'll tote the stag on weekends.
vf2x2mr.jpg
Sorry to hear about your sister, that's a tough loss. Best wishes to you and your family.

What do you mean about the snakewood being a prototype? I thought the snakewood was supposed to be a whole batch, but was split to be half bloodwood due to some issues. Sorry if I'm remembering that wrong, it's been a while since those came out. I only ask because I also have a snakewood that I picked up during that drop, and I've put it to good use! Nice collection of 29s, by the way, it's a great pattern.

Sorry to hear about your sister, that's a tough loss. Best wishes to you and your family.

What do you mean about the snakewood being a prototype? I thought the snakewood was supposed to be a whole batch, but was split to be half bloodwood due to some issues. Sorry if I'm remembering that wrong, it's been a while since those came out. I only ask because I also have a snakewood that I picked up during that drop, and I've put it to good use! Nice collection of 29s, by the way, it's a great pattern.

Thank you for the condolences.

Your correct the run was split roughly 50/50 between snakewood and bloodwood. The one I picked up is the prototype snakewood, I don't have a picture of the etch handy but will try to add one tomorrow. Life was busy when the snakewoods dropped and I was lucky to get the prototype at one of the dealers. If I'm wrong someone correct me please but I am under the impression that GEC makes only one prototype of each of the different handle types.

Thank you for the condolences.

Your correct the run was split roughly 50/50 between snakewood and bloodwood. The one I picked up is the prototype snakewood, I don't have a picture of the etch handy but will try to add one tomorrow. Life was busy when the snakewoods dropped and I was lucky to get the prototype at one of the dealers. If I'm wrong someone correct me please but I am under the impression that GEC makes only one prototype of each of the different handle types.
Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware there was a prototype of each one. Which is not surprising, I'm not aware of a lot of things! :D That's cool that you picked that one up. I felt pretty lucky to grab one of the snakes, they turned out great. I probably should have grabbed one of the bloodwoods as well.

Went back home for my sisters funeral and spent some time with my best friend afterwards. He was admiring my blood red jigged 29 that I had so I gave it to him. I had carried the GBM 29 occasionally and started tuning up the edge today and decided to put my edge on all of them (except the snakewood as it's the prototype) including my spare blood red. If the snakewood wasn't the prototype I'd have one for every day. Oh well I'll tote the stag on weekends.
vf2x2mr.jpg

Sorry to hear about your loss. It must be tough to lose a sibling, so thoughts and prayers with your family.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It must be tough to lose a sibling, so thoughts and prayers with your family.

Thank you for your condolences. I don't think it has hit yet as after it happened I had to help our mom not to fall into terminal grief. Mom's doing much much better now but my brother and I were extremely worried grief would take her, she didn't eat for 16 days and at 83 years old that could have turned out a lot worse.

This is still my favourite release from 2019. Here is my Burnt Sienna.
Was there a Copperhead Jigged bone version of the Stockyard that I missed? I see it's coming up on a dealer's site.
GyYfegz.jpg
The 29 stockyard whittlers have all been produced. No more are coming. Sometimes GEC changes the color options of upcoming bone or even during production if the dying process for the bone doesn’t yield the color they wanted.

GEC should have a pic of each 29 produced on their site with the name of the color.

The 29 stockyard whittlers have all been produced. No more are coming. Sometimes GEC changes the color options of upcoming bone or even during production if the dying process for the bone doesn’t yield the color they wanted.

GEC should have a pic of each 29 produced on their site with the name of the color.
They should, but they don't. Try and find a picture for the Blood Red Jigged Bone one there on their site, and it was one of the more common cover choices. I've seen them make up knives from left over materials they have kicking around, and I see that a Copperhead Bone is listed as coming up on a site. I thought maybe someone here had some inside information on what it was all about.

They were originally going to be Copperhead and that changed to Blood Red for some reason. They never did do Copperhead jigged bone for the #29.

Probably in the top 3 for my favorite patterns.
Y4aAvwN.jpg

Check out the Texas Ranger. Thanks for the perfect trade, @Tigerden!!!
Agree. Didn’t get into traditionals before the GEC version sold out but I did manage to score a jigged bone Texas Ranger before they sold out. That one is my second favorite after my oily creek bone 93.

Wonder how a 4" version would go over with the community?
For the most part, wouldn’t that be an Oil Field Jack (86) minus the awl? Little shorter than 4” but not by much.

Back