2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

I didn’t pick up any of these when they first came out, but this one made it to me through a trade. I need one of the Maher & Grosh versions next.
44U1Uh7.jpg

Getting one of the american whittlers 29 SFO is a great find. It's funny because when they first previewed the 29s I had no interest in them and was happy my wallet was safe. After seeing seeing them on the dealer sites long enough I eventually talked myself into picking one up to get into whittling and to have as a beater knife. Now the 29 is one of my favorite patterns. The ergonomics on the knife are great. Ended up picking up the a smooth appaloosa bone maher and grosh and now that is one of my favorite knives. Interesting how getting one of these knives in hand can completely change your opinion of the pattern.

I didn’t pick up any of these when they first came out, but this one made it to me through a trade. I need one of the Maher & Grosh versions next.
44U1Uh7.jpg
Well that is certainly a great one to start with. It’s such a great pattern.

44U1Uh7.jpg

WOW!
That was a heck of a trade. Beautiful knife, congratulations.

44U1Uh7.jpg
I like the non-NF bolsters on that one. I also prefer the spey blade on my ebony M&G to the standard punch. The M&G's have excellent f&f and are exquisite examples from this run. You won't be sorry if you grab one. ;)

I am so glad this thread popped up. I missed this pattern entirely and I love it. I am a sucker for a punch. This is my favorite 3 combo. Very cool in a humpback.

All I can find in stock acrylic...not my favorite. The orange Osage and stag Awesome.

I am so glad this thread popped up. I missed this pattern entirely and I love it. I am a sucker for a punch. This is my favorite 3 combo. Very cool in a humpback.

All I can find in stock acrylic...not my favorite. The orange Osage and stag Awesome.
New River Knife Works lists an Osage Orange on their website. Don't know if its current or not. Might be worth a call. They are a supporting dealer so that's good.

Getting one of the american whittlers 29 SFO is a great find. It's funny because when they first previewed the 29s I had no interest in them and was happy my wallet was safe. After seeing seeing them on the dealer sites long enough I eventually talked myself into picking one up to get into whittling and to have as a beater knife. Now the 29 is one of my favorite patterns. The ergonomics on the knife are great. Ended up picking up the a smooth appaloosa bone maher and grosh and now that is one of my favorite knives. Interesting how getting one of these knives in hand can completely change your opinion of the pattern.
That is true! I had no desire to try the 29's... didn't interest me at all. I ended up with one during a trade, and I have changed my opinion of them, as well. They DO feel very good in hand.. I have had no need to use the punch... yet. I'm surprised at how sharp the edge of it is. I saw a video of a guy using a punch to drill a hole in a piece of wood, in a "bushcraft" kind of setting. For some reason, I always pictured them being used exclusively on leather... mine is an osage...

You can count me among those with no initial interest in the pattern as well. I got the bug and managed to grab a nice snakewood model. It's a nice knife, and I really should give it more pocket time. I have managed to find a use here and there for the punch mainly as a scraper, but the clip is really sweet, and the sheep is a razor!
Mv8chZr.jpg

You can count me among those with no initial interest in the pattern as well. I got the bug and managed to grab a nice snakewood model. It's a nice knife, and I really should give it more pocket time. I have managed to find a use here and there for the punch mainly as a scraper, but the clip is really sweet, and the sheep is a razor!
Mv8chZr.jpg
Yea at first I had no interest. Then last week I cought myself scrolling and watching YouTube videos....:mad: LOL. It does have the most useful blade shapes, and a punch or awl is always handy.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the spey blade on the M&G SFO to the punch. The fact it also has primo ebony, a cool shield and the best pulls and action of any I've handled is also a huge bonus!
20200411_162658.jpg

20200411_162645.jpg

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the spey blade on the M&G SFO to the punch. The fact it also has primo ebony, a cool shield and the best pulls and action of any I've handled is also a huge bonus!
View attachment 1320073

View attachment 1320072
Sweet knife! I would probably prefer the spey to the punch. My preference would be to delete the third altogether and just have the clip and sheep!

Back