2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

I've been looking forward to checking my mailbox all day! My postman is usually a bit later on Mondays so it made my anticipation all that more poignant.

The moment arrived, I quickly retrieved the parcel, and I opened it up as quickly as possible. This is the one 86 (other than Charlie's and the Forum knife) that I had been greatly looking forward to and it certainly does not disappoint.

This is the first GEC knife I've acquired in Bloodwood and I've heard complaints in the past over it being rather boring, especially when compared to woods like Ironwood and Cocobolo. Well, I will have to say that whatever misgivings I might have had over a lackluster showing were rapidly put to rest as soon as this beautiful beast dropped from its tube. Charlie mentioned chatoyance and this knife has it in spades, what a glorious example! Different lighting turns it into a completely different knife! It was a bit tricky getting some good shots of it...

Some additional thoughts:
  • Action/W&T --- I have difficulties assigning values to such things but if I were to compare its pull and snap to something recent, I would say it is quite similar to my 93 Lambsfoot knives. Nice, substantial pull, but not overly so, with a hearty snap into all positions. Very satisfactory, in my opinion.
  • Centering/Backspring --- Perfect centering on both blades. This is likely the first knife that I have acquired from GEC where the backspring is flush with the liners in the halfstop position. I can catch a nail on the secondary but overall, it is rather flush. It isn't something that matters a whole lot to me in the grand scheme of things but in this case, it was notable enough for me to comment on it. I think it a testament to how well made this knife is.
  • Overall F&F --- This is a finely made knife with excellent fit and finish. No gaps present, very smooth transitions, and no rough edges or corners. Despite domed pins, they aren't deep and I don't anticipate them being a collector of crud and such in the foreseeable future.
Overall, I am immensely pleased with this knife, it is a magnificent chunk of beautiful cutlery and I applaud Barry and GEC for seeing this wonderful SFO to fruition. It is going to get quite of bit of use from me, I can't wait!

Yuwa5Si.jpg

yjWUJof.jpg

VjCvL9r.jpg

dNbbYQf.jpg

boIxyko.jpg
Great pics. The wood grain on your's looks like the parting of feathers that I've seen in charcoal artwork over the years. Very pretty.

I've been looking forward to checking my mailbox all day! My postman is usually a bit later on Mondays so it made my anticipation all that more poignant.

The moment arrived, I quickly retrieved the parcel, and I opened it up as quickly as possible. This is the one 86 (other than Charlie's and the Forum knife) that I had been greatly looking forward to and it certainly does not disappoint.

This is the first GEC knife I've acquired in Bloodwood and I've heard complaints in the past over it being rather boring, especially when compared to woods like Ironwood and Cocobolo. Well, I will have to say that whatever misgivings I might have had over a lackluster showing were rapidly put to rest as soon as this beautiful beast dropped from its tube. Charlie mentioned chatoyance and this knife has it in spades, what a glorious example! Different lighting turns it into a completely different knife! It was a bit tricky getting some good shots of it...

Some additional thoughts:
  • Action/W&T --- I have difficulties assigning values to such things but if I were to compare its pull and snap to something recent, I would say it is quite similar to my 93 Lambsfoot knives. Nice, substantial pull, but not overly so, with a hearty snap into all positions. Very satisfactory, in my opinion.
  • Centering/Backspring --- Perfect centering on both blades. This is likely the first knife that I have acquired from GEC where the backspring is flush with the liners in the halfstop position. I can catch a nail on the secondary but overall, it is rather flush. It isn't something that matters a whole lot to me in the grand scheme of things but in this case, it was notable enough for me to comment on it. I think it a testament to how well made this knife is.
  • Overall F&F --- This is a finely made knife with excellent fit and finish. No gaps present, very smooth transitions, and no rough edges or corners. Despite domed pins, they aren't deep and I don't anticipate them being a collector of crud and such in the foreseeable future.
Overall, I am immensely pleased with this knife, it is a magnificent chunk of beautiful cutlery and I applaud Barry and GEC for seeing this wonderful SFO to fruition. It is going to get quite of bit of use from me, I can't wait!

Yuwa5Si.jpg

yjWUJof.jpg

VjCvL9r.jpg

dNbbYQf.jpg

boIxyko.jpg
Beautiful knife indeed. And, on the porch with a cigar and whiskey, those were the days. Enjoy!

Back