2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Wanting a Bloodwood really bad right now. Was trying to hold off until the Stags are released, but the Bloodwood is really looking great. After the forum knife, I have to wait a bit for the next purchase, but one of these 86 2-blades is in my future.

Thanks to everyone for your positive comments on the 86 Bloodwood, and a big 'tip-of-the-hat' to Bill Howard and the crew at Great Eastern Cutlery for the fine workmanship and attention to detail!

Lovin' my "S" model:

W9O3kWK.jpg

I've had two "S" models and never found anything amiss, either. Fit, finish, action, everything just fine.

Like many, my bloodwood arrived last night. I was pretty excited about this run, as I've been craving some of Barry's bloodwood ever since he did that run of Beer Scouts back in 2015. Low and behold, this run even has the same shield as the Beer Scout run. Somebody feel free to post an epic pic of the two knives together!!!!! They would make an incredible set.

My thoughts on the knife:

• GEC did an exceptional job with both fit and finish. This is possibly as close to perfection as I've seen from GEC. The walk and talk is perfect for this size of knife. I'd guess the pull to be around a 6 or 6.5. No wobble. No spring gaps. Everything is flush. No blade rap.
  • The bloodwood is absolutely gorgeous. This may be my new favorite wood. The grain has so much depth to it, and it constantly changes with small shifts in lighting. It could stare at it all day long. It's positively mesmerizing.
  • This is my favorite shield, so woohoo!!!!!! Very similar to my WW2 engineer knife shield. So classic. Perfectly sized for this frame.
  • I totally dig Barry's nifty pin, which was included in the tube.
  • I love the clip/coping combination. One of my favorite combos.
  • GEC still gets no forgiveness from me for forcing SFO's to have blade etches. I hate them. At this point, I have to be reasonably sure that I'll actually use a knife enough to cover up the etch, if I'm even going to consider a purchase. I guess that a vendor could spend a bunch of money to have a talented artist come up with a seriously good blade etch, but until small vendors like Barry can manage to afford such art, I'll continue to complain about the ugliness. This knife serves better. No slight to Barry though. I place full blame on GEC.
  • As is normal for me, I wish the steel was stainless. I'm not so stuck in the past that I can't live without rust and pitting on my blades.
  • The knife is an interesting size and weight. I have a feeling that the #86 is a tad too big and heavy for my ideal EDC, but it's not too bad. I think that 3 3/4" is my ideal frame size, and this isn't too far off the mark. I'm glad it's slightly larger, as opposed to slightly smaller. I could definitely see people being bothered by the weight. This knife is a bit of an anvil. I wonderful if we could have shaved off some weight by going barehead on this run.
  • The grip is absurdly good, with both blades. Very secure. Some corners will need a bit of rounding though, as is common with GEC knives, to be truly comfortable in the hand.
  • The cant of the blades is bang on. Enough slant to make cuts both comfortable and efficient, but not so much that you lose versatility. But GEC ordinarily does a fantastic job in this regard, so no surprises here.
  • I'm not exactly thrilled with the shape of the clip blade. I honestly prefer a clip with a bit more tip, and a tad less upsweep. But hunters should like the shape very much.
  • The secondary coping blade is just a bit longer than I normally prefer. I like my secondary blades to be short enough for detail work, and this blade's length falls slightly out of that range. But I'm being picky. It's a good blade. As far as shape goes, GEC nailed it.
  • Both of my blades are ground wonderfully thin. They measure in around .017 to .019" behind the edge. GEC usually does a good job with their grinds. In this case, they did exceedingly well.
So there it is. My bloodwood #86 is a tremendous knife. From a functional perspective, this is pretty close to ideal for the outdoorsman. The size is right. The blades are right. The grinds are right. I'd personally go stainless for outdoor work, but opinion varies.

For an average EDC, this knife is maybe not so perfect. It's a tad large and heavy. The clip blade could be shaped differently for everyday work, and the coping could be a hair shorter. But still it's pretty good, if you don't mind the weight.

For the collector........ The wood is so nice. The shield is perfection. The fit and finish is outstanding. But the etch just ruins it for me. GEC needs to start marketing an etch remover for their own products.

Well done, Barry. THIS IS GREAT SFO. Other than the etch that was forced upon you, this is one of the finest SFO's to come from GEC.

cgM5pQTh.jpg

Great pictures Pàdruig Pàdruig !

Great pics. The wood grain on your's looks like the parting of feathers that I've seen in charcoal artwork over the years. Very pretty.

Beautiful knife indeed. And, on the porch with a cigar and whiskey, those were the days. Enjoy!

Thank you, fellas, much appreciated! Barry produced a terrific SFO, I'm still pretty tickled by it.

Like many, my bloodwood arrived last night. I was pretty excited about this run, as I've been craving some of Barry's bloodwood ever since he did that run of Beer Scouts back in 2015. Low and behold, this run even has the same shield as the Beer Scout run. Somebody feel free to post an epic pic of the two knives together!!!!! They would make an incredible set.

My thoughts on the knife:

• GEC did an exceptional job with both fit and finish. This is possibly as close to perfection as I've seen from GEC. The walk and talk is perfect for this size of knife. I'd guess the pull to be around a 6 or 6.5. No wobble. No spring gaps. Everything is flush. No blade rap.
  • The bloodwood is absolutely gorgeous. This may be my new favorite wood. The grain has so much depth to it, and it constantly changes with small shifts in lighting. It could stare at it all day long. It's positively mesmerizing.
  • This is my favorite shield, so woohoo!!!!!! Very similar to my WW2 engineer knife shield. So classic. Perfectly sized for this frame.
  • I totally dig Barry's nifty pin, which was included in the tube.
  • I love the clip/coping combination. One of my favorite combos.
  • GEC still gets no forgiveness from me for forcing SFO's to have blade etches. I hate them. At this point, I have to be reasonably sure that I'll actually use a knife enough to cover up the etch, if I'm even going to consider a purchase. I guess that a vendor could spend a bunch of money to have a talented artist come up with a seriously good blade etch, but until small vendors like Barry can manage to afford such art, I'll continue to complain about the ugliness. This knife serves better. No slight to Barry though. I place full blame on GEC.
  • As is normal for me, I wish the steel was stainless. I'm not so stuck in the past that I can't live without rust and pitting on my blades.
  • The knife is an interesting size and weight. I have a feeling that the #86 is a tad too big and heavy for my ideal EDC, but it's not too bad. I think that 3 3/4" is my ideal frame size, and this isn't too far off the mark. I'm glad it's slightly larger, as opposed to slightly smaller. I could definitely see people being bothered by the weight. This knife is a bit of an anvil. I wonderful if we could have shaved off some weight by going barehead on this run.
  • The grip is absurdly good, with both blades. Very secure. Some corners will need a bit of rounding though, as is common with GEC knives, to be truly comfortable in the hand.
  • The cant of the blades is bang on. Enough slant to make cuts both comfortable and efficient, but not so much that you lose versatility. But GEC ordinarily does a fantastic job in this regard, so no surprises here.
  • I'm not exactly thrilled with the shape of the clip blade. I honestly prefer a clip with a bit more tip, and a tad less upsweep. But hunters should like the shape very much.
  • The secondary coping blade is just a bit longer than I normally prefer. I like my secondary blades to be short enough for detail work, and this blade's length falls slightly out of that range. But I'm being picky. It's a good blade. As far as shape goes, GEC nailed it.
  • Both of my blades are ground wonderfully thin. They measure in around .017 to .019" behind the edge. GEC usually does a good job with their grinds. In this case, they did exceedingly well.
So there it is. My bloodwood #86 is a tremendous knife. From a functional perspective, this is pretty close to ideal for the outdoorsman. The size is right. The blades are right. The grinds are right. I'd personally go stainless for outdoor work, but opinion varies.

For an average EDC, this knife is maybe not so perfect. It's a tad large and heavy. The clip blade could be shaped differently for everyday work, and the coping could be a hair shorter. But still it's pretty good, if you don't mind the weight.

For the collector........ The wood is so nice. The shield is perfection. The fit and finish is outstanding. But the etch just ruins it for me. GEC needs to start marketing an etch remover for their own products.

Well done, Barry. THIS IS GREAT SFO. Other than the etch that was forced upon you, this is one of the finest SFO's to come from GEC.

cgM5pQTh.jpg

Excellent review, Buzz, I've been waiting to see your thoughts on it.

There isn't much to disagree with you on your perceptions. I think the only things that differ for me are the size/weight and the steel preference. I tend to have a lot of things in my pockets so the weight and size of the 86 is not much of a deterrent for me. I love the feeling of it in my hand and though I certainly agree that a Barehead version would have not only looked spectacular but would have served to lighten it some, I still like the heftiness of the overall package.

In regards to the coping blade, I feel the one on my '18 NF Barlow is pretty spot on in terms of size. The 86 coping is quite a bit larger than I was expecting but it didn't serve as a disappointment, I still will find it to be quite useful.

But yes, a spectacular SFO, I am very pleased that I could get in on it.

Thanks for your comments Buzz. I'm not thrilled with the etch requirement myself, but at least I got to design this one. Sue at GEC deserves kudos for the label and pin art!

Knives of this size may be easiest to carry in a belt sheath. Carrying mine in the tube pocket of my Filson vest today. Here's my 86 compared to the Case 99 1/2; GEC packed a lot of blade into the 86 frame.

dXbHwIj.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody know what this highlight is? Just lighting and the brass liner? The one with the arrow looks like part of the cover is missing. I've never owned a tortoise shell acrylic before so just asking.
20191126_131517.jpg

waverave waverave

Last edited:
Knives of this size may be easiest to carry in a belt sheath. Carrying mine in the tube pocket of my Filson vest. Here's my 86 compared to the Case 99 1/2; GEC packed a lot of blade into the 86 frame.

dXbHwIj.jpg

Very nice, Barry!!!! Is that sheath from Dale Pack Station? Those things are legendary. I haven't seen them available for years now. The quality was extraordinary for the price. I have a couple of the Buck 110 sized sheaths.

The bloodwood is certainly beautiful, and while I'm normally a Northfield "bling" type guy, I felt that for this #86 pattern the Sucker Rod was the handle to have, as its ruggedness fits the jumbo. Now that mine has arrived, I'm happy with my decision.

bYVx0Ar.jpg

yw20Jf3.jpg

Very nice, Barry!!!! Is that sheath from Dale Pack Station? Those things are legendary. I haven't seen them available for years now. The quality was extraordinary for the price. I have a couple of the Buck 110 sized sheaths.
Yes, bought a few years back.

The bloodwood is certainly beautiful, and while I'm normally a Northfield "bling" type guy, I felt that for this #86 pattern the Sucker Rod was the handle to have, as its ruggedness fits the jumbo. Now that mine has arrived, I'm happy with my decision.

bYVx0Ar.jpg

yw20Jf3.jpg
I agree. The other covers are really nice but I feel that an “Oilfield Jack” with a wrench shield just has to have an oil sucker rod wood cover.

Back