2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Now I'm verging on territory for the Modified Traditionals thread, but I've done a 15 recover and a 66 blade delete, and I had purchased 3/32" pin stock. On one knife, I turned the pins down to fit, and the pull weight was the same or lighter. On the other, I drilled the holes up to accept 3/32". It was tight, had to tap it in, but that's kinda the point with this kind of pivot. The pull weight was the same, just as snappy. So are you saying that these 86s are already using 3/32" pins? Or that they're using the smaller pin size?

My entire motivation behind the larger pin is, to bring it back around to the 86 - I want a stouter pull. I've asked several people about pull weights when reassembling, and they state that smaller pins would lighten the pull, larger pins would weight it. Makes sense from a torque perspective - you have the same length lever now responsible for turning a wider radius. I would have been head over heals for these 86s, but I wanted a firm pull that matched the spirit of the knife. Heck, maybe even a bored out 1/8" pivot pin.
I don’t consider myself to be any kind of expert so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but it seems that the pull weight is based on the spring tension and how hard it is. I think if you can move the positioning of the pin holes to create more tension that would work but simply increasing the size of the hole wouldn’t increase the tension. If you could drill it out to push the pivot pin and back pin towards the spring end and center pin away you can create more tension in the spring, but then you’re also changing the fit of the knife. I did it once but created new liners and bolsters to do it. It’s a pain and I think the pull on the 86’s is pretty decent, some better than others though.

I need to get a decent picture of this one. It is that time of year when it is dark before I leave for work and dark when I get home. This was taken right as the sun had gone down on a cloudy evening. I am surprised it came out at all.

I am not a fan of etches being required on SFO’s, but @gunstockjack did a killer job on this one. It should be gone soon enough anyways. ;)
aZqnXIJ.jpg

Last edited:
they got updates on Charlie's yet?!
I haven’t seen anything at all, and it never made it into the production schedule, which I assumed was because it was a last minute addition and they haven’t updated it in forever, but I’m wondering if it’s because it’s his own brand now and they only put up photos of their brand. I’m just guessing though. Maybe he has some updates @waynorth ?

I need to get a decent picture of this one. It is that time of year when it is dark before I leave for work and dark when I get home. This was taken right as the sun had gone down on a cloudy evening. I am surprised it came out at all.

I am not a fan of etches being required on SFO’s, but @gunstockjack did a killer job on this one. It should be gone soon enough anyways. ;)
aZqnXIJ.jpg
I have to agree with you. Got mine just before the Thanksgiving Holiday - I'm thankful! The iridescence and color of the wood scales is incredible and the F&F of the knife is also great. The pull comes in around a 6 - 6.5 and the walk & talk is very sweet. I couldn't be more pleased.
IMG_1938.JPG

Feeling really jealous that peeps have been playing with their 86s for what seems like months :eek: Waiting for some reserves to be released :cool:

Last edited:
Perceptions of 86 pulls are interesting in that they all widely varying. I’ve seen 3.5 to 7. I think the pulls on mine are just right, which would be a subjective 5.

This indicates not the pull weights of course but our varied and subjective assessments.

Interesting... I am definitely a sucker for a Federal shield. I guess we know somewhat why it's taking so long to get to our Forum knife.

Vj8bjv9.jpg

I love it. The color of this version is perfect. The jigging is shallow for my tastes, but I’m getting more used to it.

Interesting... I am definitely a sucker for a Federal shield. I guess we know somewhat why it's taking so long to get to our Forum knife.

Vj8bjv9.jpg
Don't blame me I voted for Tidioute trim.:D:cool:;)

Now I'm verging on territory for the Modified Traditionals thread, but I've done a 15 recover and a 66 blade delete, and I had purchased 3/32" pin stock. On one knife, I turned the pins down to fit, and the pull weight was the same or lighter. On the other, I drilled the holes up to accept 3/32". It was tight, had to tap it in, but that's kinda the point with this kind of pivot. The pull weight was the same, just as snappy. So are you saying that these 86s are already using 3/32" pins? Or that they're using the smaller pin size?

My entire motivation behind the larger pin is, to bring it back around to the 86 - I want a stouter pull. I've asked several people about pull weights when reassembling, and they state that smaller pins would lighten the pull, larger pins would weight it. Makes sense from a torque perspective - you have the same length lever now responsible for turning a wider radius. I would have been head over heals for these 86s, but I wanted a firm pull that matched the spirit of the knife. Heck, maybe even a bored out 1/8" pivot pin.

In no particular order, blade pull or push is determined by (1) How tight the tang is sandwiched between the liners, (2) Strength of the spring, (3) Micro finish of all mating and contact surfaces, (4) Lever arm of where the force is applied, (5) Lubrication applied, if any, (6) Lobe shape of the tang and corresponding ramp on the spring.... The pins are either a clearance fit (tang) or an interference fit (bolsters)....

Back