Some more measurements of the two clip mains:

Measurement ----- #78 American Jack ----- #86 Oil Field Jack
thickness (center pin) ----- 0.544" --------------------- 0.630"
thickness (tang) ----------- 0.112" --------------------- 0.112"
thickness (behind edge) -- 0.009" --------------------- 0.008"
depth (widest part) ------- 0.662" --------------------- 0.754"

Weight in grams --------- #78 ----------------------- #86
------------------------------- 93 g ------------------------ 105 g

SteveC apparently measured a newer release spear main #78, while my older clip main #78 has the same thickness blade stock as the #86.

onRzNNO.jpg

Last edited:
I think if you like a wharncliffe blade and the overall size, the one blade Forum Knife may be the answer if weight is an issue. Larger two blade GEC's always weigh more. Pocket brick? Nope.

The one-blade Forum knife will be unique to the 86 release.

Last edited:
I think if you like a wharncliffe blade and the overall size, the one blade Forum Knife may be the answer if weight is an issue. Larger two blade GEC's always weigh more. Pocket brick? Nope.

The one-blade Forum knife will be unique to the 86 release.

can always put those two bladers on a diet! mine is about to return from a spa!

It might be a sacrilege of a sort but I hit my Oil Sucker Rod 86 with Behlen's Solar-Lux non grain raising stain, American Walnut. Same stuff I've used for gunstocks if they need a little help in a refinish. I'm not even sure of the type of wood on the knife but I think it might be oak. Pretty open grained.

At any rate, the stain took it from a light silver gray trending to almost greenish to a reddish walnut. Looks great. A little more pocket wear and it'll be a beauty.

How about a picture ?

I weighed the #86. It is 4.2 ounces. I like the weight because when I use them in the field, the extra weight makes them whittle or makes fire shavings easier.

Geoff

I weighed the #86. It is 4.2 ounces. I like the weight because when I use them in the field, the extra weight makes them whittle or makes fire shavings easier.

Geoff
Collector Knives shows the weight as 3.73 oz for the micarta. Is there that much variation between scales?

22 - rim fire, I have the Autumn Jigged Bone. I have an accurate scale and it did weigh 4.2 ounces

How about a picture ?

C Cooter Brown Yes mate, show us some photos. I am, as i'm sure many others are, very interested in what other forum members try with their knife scales. Yours sounds really interesting.:cool:

I haven't frequented BF much in a while, and I used to use Photobucket to post pictures here, but since the fiasco there I don't even think I can use my old account.

I think that the “accurate” scale that shows the #86 weighing 4.2 oz. should recheck its accuracy.

My 86 bloodwood weighs in at 3.7 oz on my postal scale.

Back