2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

I’m not a big fan with the Oily creek but I do agree with a few post that the Oily creek is looking nice with this pattern but I wish there was no shield.

On the GPK website it said one per household if they caught you trying for more they would cancel all your orders. I just find it hard to believe since I basically did everything as fast as one could. Oh well if it’s not meant to be it’s just not meant to be I suppose.

Unfortunately as has been proven many times in the past (not just on knife releases), the "one per household" limit is too easy to bypass. As is setting a simple script to check product page changes on websites. It's getting to be more and more of a problem with limited release items that are high in demand. I was hoping it wouldn't come over to the knife world, but with knives becoming more and more popular, it seems it has. I guess our willingness as collectors to pay much more than the release price is a big part of the issue. I've literally been refreshing the GPK page every hour or so of every day starting three days ago a 5:59am and still missed this one, so I guess I'm, just extra salty.

I've been on a couple lists for a Lambsfoot for quite some time, so maybe I'll get lucky and be able to get one of those. I'm hoping the Oily Creek will be a little more available as I had planned on using it in a giveaway for the Porch. >.<

... it's apparently impossible to get a reasonably priced, american-made, traditional pocketknife pattern that has some sense of quality to its construction...

Nah. Same thing happened with the 82s. A month after, and they're in stock everywhere. You can still get all sorts of GEC knives right off the shelf. Some have been sitting there for a couple of years. Now if you want a knife that's just starting to ship, and you want it right now, yeah, that's a problem. But it's just a feeding frenzy. Some of those folks who bought multiples are going to rethink and the extras will end up on the exchange. It probably won't be all that long. Patience is a virtue.

Holy crap. I decide to take a shower and get the notice from GPKnives that the black canvas is available six minutes after it was sent and they're already gone.

I find it hard to believe those sold out that quickly unless there were bots and scalpers waiting for the stock to open up so they could put in multiple orders. Black canvas Micarta seems to hold a hefty premium over natural canvas Micarta, which I found interesting.

I thought a 5PM drop was extremely odd, 1st off. Second, the nearly 40% price increase over the previous #93s would have been a deal breaker for me, even if they had still been in stock.

Nah. Same thing happened with the 82s. A month after, and they're in stock everywhere. You can still get all sorts of GEC knives right off the shelf. Some have been sitting there for a couple of years. Now if you want a knife that's just starting to ship, and you want it right now, yeah, that's a problem. But it's just a feeding frenzy. Some of those folks who bought multiples are going to rethink and the extras will end up on the exchange. It probably won't be all that long. Patience is a virtue.
Another thing to consider, in reference to the #93s going so quickly, is that these are the first medium sized single blade jack knives GEC has produced in a desirable pattern (arguably GEC's most popular configuration) since the #85s in November.

The #97s and #21s were considered too large by some folks, and the #06s, while extremely nice, too small by others. And it seems the #12s just aren't a crazy popular pattern. Sat on shelves forever on the first run years ago, and this run isn't selling quickly either. I mean when's the last time you've seen GEC camel bone anything last longer than a day or two?

Another thing to consider, in reference to the #93s going so quickly, is that these are the first medium sized single blade jack knives GEC has produced in a desirable pattern (arguably GEC's most popular configuration) since the #85s in November.

And it's a swayback ... something new and different.

Ok, thanks for the info. I can wait. I guess I just didn't realize the demand was this high. There isn't really an explanation anywhere that says "now by the way, this not-insanely-expensive pocket knife using one of the most commonly available synthetic handle materials and one of the most commonly used knife steels will only be available for purchase for two minutes on a random Wednesday in mid-June."

Ok, thanks for the info. I can wait. I guess I just didn't realize the demand was this high. There isn't really an explanation anywhere that says "now by the way, this not-insanely-expensive pocket knife using one of the most commonly available synthetic handle materials and one of the most commonly used knife steels will only be available for purchase for two minutes on a random Wednesday in mid-June."

LOL...Crazy!

Super stoked to get my 93 today.

I'm very happy with it except I have one question. I'm new to GEC and I'm not sure what this is or if I need to "clean" it or leave it be? My guess is it's just some leftover steel/polish from grinding/polishing. It's just in this one position. The knife is otherwise terrific. Centered, crisp pull & snap and flush spring in all positions.

Clean
View attachment 1147309

Steel grime?
View attachment 1147310

What you see is the breakout from punching the blade blanks...… In other words where the blade shears or fractures from the parent material...….. A normal result from punching parts...

Black canvas Micarta seems to hold a hefty premium over natural canvas Micarta, which I found interesting.

It is fascinating what a slightly different shield and minor color difference makes in collector interest to any given knife.
Truly this is where madness dwells.

I don’t think it’s the black micarta holding a premium. I bet the exclusiveness of it was the main factor. For me it was the shield- not the micarta. I love micarta. I prob love natural canvas more than black, but I have found that I have never kept a GEC with a rolling pin/hot dog shield.

I truly don’t think bots or spammers were involved. This was a run of 101 knives. I struggle getting Northwoods and there are usually hundreds of them.

Scalpers probably. I read on a dealer's blog that he had several orders for multiple knives, the highest was for 12. He said he cut those down and is going to start dialing it back to 2 max.

I'm gunning for one of the Waynorth knives but if it doesn't pan out, I'll just have to be happy with one of the other few hundred knives I already have. :oops:

I won't pay scalpers, so win some, lose some.

Charlie, your knives look amazing! You have every reason to be thrilled with these! :thumbsup:
I think scalpers are in one of the lower levels of Dante's Inferno.

I think scalpers are in one of the lower levels of Dante's Inferno.
Yeah, the "Hotdogs", as I call the natural micarta 93, are going through the roof on Ebay, almost double. Sad part is they'll continue to do it as long as people buy them. I don't even want to see what the Waynorth knives will go for. Hope to snag a OTC royal blue camel bone. If not, my mail call of natural tones that arrived today will have to do.IMG_2844.jpg

Are the Northfield runs typically the same production numbers as the tidioute runs? I feel like I had plenty of opportunities to get a natural canvas Rams foot if I really wanted one but wanted to hold out for a ramsfoot with the long pull. And the SFOs forgettaboutit

Back