1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Apr 26, 2019.

1. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    I’m not a big fan with the Oily creek but I do agree with a few post that the Oily creek is looking nice with this pattern but I wish there was no shield.

2. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    The oily creek will look really good after it is fitted and polished.

3. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Unfortunately as has been proven many times in the past (not just on knife releases), the "one per household" limit is too easy to bypass. As is setting a simple script to check product page changes on websites. It's getting to be more and more of a problem with limited release items that are high in demand. I was hoping it wouldn't come over to the knife world, but with knives becoming more and more popular, it seems it has. I guess our willingness as collectors to pay much more than the release price is a big part of the issue. I've literally been refreshing the GPK page every hour or so of every day starting three days ago a 5:59am and still missed this one, so I guess I'm, just extra salty.

I've been on a couple lists for a Lambsfoot for quite some time, so maybe I'll get lucky and be able to get one of those. I'm hoping the Oily Creek will be a little more available as I had planned on using it in a giveaway for the Porch. >.<

4. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Nah. Same thing happened with the 82s. A month after, and they're in stock everywhere. You can still get all sorts of GEC knives right off the shelf. Some have been sitting there for a couple of years. Now if you want a knife that's just starting to ship, and you want it right now, yeah, that's a problem. But it's just a feeding frenzy. Some of those folks who bought multiples are going to rethink and the extras will end up on the exchange. It probably won't be all that long. Patience is a virtue.

5. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    I thought a 5PM drop was extremely odd, 1st off. Second, the nearly 40% price increase over the previous #93s would have been a deal breaker for me, even if they had still been in stock.

gaj999 and ktataragasi like this.
  6. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Another thing to consider, in reference to the #93s going so quickly, is that these are the first medium sized single blade jack knives GEC has produced in a desirable pattern (arguably GEC's most popular configuration) since the #85s in November.

The #97s and #21s were considered too large by some folks, and the #06s, while extremely nice, too small by others. And it seems the #12s just aren't a crazy popular pattern. Sat on shelves forever on the first run years ago, and this run isn't selling quickly either. I mean when's the last time you've seen GEC camel bone anything last longer than a day or two?

L.H.S and gaj999 like this.
  7. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    I agree 100 percent with those that say they refuse to pay the scalpers. Only way to stop the leeches on the knife community is to stop buying from them.

Leebotheblue, Prester John and gaj999 like this.
  8. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    And it's a swayback ... something new and different.

TX Traditional likes this.
  9. Box_Opener

Box_Opener Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Ok, thanks for the info. I can wait. I guess I just didn't realize the demand was this high. There isn't really an explanation anywhere that says "now by the way, this not-insanely-expensive pocket knife using one of the most commonly available synthetic handle materials and one of the most commonly used knife steels will only be available for purchase for two minutes on a random Wednesday in mid-June."

mb>, dantzk8, Prester John and 3 others like this.
  10. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 7, 2016
    LOL...Crazy!

11. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    What you see is the breakout from punching the blade blanks...… In other words where the blade shears or fractures from the parent material...….. A normal result from punching parts...

Old Engineer and Ron Sabbagh like this.
  12. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Not for nothing....but I actually prefer the natural micarta with bar and plain, clean blade vs the black with shield and etching.

JohnDF, tmd_87 and ktataragasi like this.
  13. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    My natural canvas micarta came today, and I’m going to apply it to my rhubarb tomorrow! It won’t be pristine very long.

tmd_87, Boxer .45, cigarrodog and 4 others like this.
  14. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018

I don’t think it’s the black micarta holding a premium. I bet the exclusiveness of it was the main factor. For me it was the shield- not the micarta. I love micarta. I prob love natural canvas more than black, but I have found that I have never kept a GEC with a rolling pin/hot dog shield.

I truly don’t think bots or spammers were involved. This was a run of 101 knives. I struggle getting Northwoods and there are usually hundreds of them.

15. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    That royal blue is looking pretty good...I'm going to have a really, really hard time resisting.
    IMG_8633.jpg
    IMG_8638.jpg

mb>, blademan 13, TheChunk91 and 10 others like this.
  16. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    That Royal Blue does look nice, Darren. Very tempting.

dc50 likes this.
  17. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    waverave likes this.
  18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I think scalpers are in one of the lower levels of Dante's Inferno.

dc50, waynorth, draggat and 5 others like this.
  19. Leebotheblue

Leebotheblue Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Yeah, the "Hotdogs", as I call the natural micarta 93, are going through the roof on Ebay, almost double. Sad part is they'll continue to do it as long as people buy them. I don't even want to see what the Waynorth knives will go for. Hope to snag a OTC royal blue camel bone. If not, my mail call of natural tones that arrived today will have to do. IMG_2844.jpg

20. AZCoyote

AZCoyote

Apr 30, 2019
    Are the Northfield runs typically the same production numbers as the tidioute runs? I feel like I had plenty of opportunities to get a natural canvas Rams foot if I really wanted one but wanted to hold out for a ramsfoot with the long pull. And the SFOs forgettaboutit

Travman likes this.