2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

Super stoked to get my 93 today.

I'm very happy with it except I have one question. I'm new to GEC and I'm not sure what this is or if I need to "clean" it or leave it be? My guess is it's just some leftover steel/polish from grinding/polishing. It's just in this one position. The knife is otherwise terrific. Centered, crisp pull & snap and flush spring in all positions.

Clean
View attachment 1147309

Steel grime?
View attachment 1147310

Maybe from the heat treat that didn't get polished off?

I'm very happy with it except I have one question. I'm new to GEC and I'm not sure what this is or if I need to "clean" it or leave it be? My guess is it's just some leftover steel/polish from grinding/polishing. It's just in this one position. The knife is otherwise terrific. Centered, crisp pull & snap and flush spring in all positions.

Clean
View attachment 1147309

Steel grime?
View attachment 1147310
That's normal on GEC knives. Nothing to fret over.

Clean
View attachment 1147309

Steel grime?
View attachment 1147310

Definitely not a defect. I've seen that many, many times. Good luck trying to clean that off! Not even sure if it would wear off and I'm not sure you'd want it to wear there anyway.

If anyone does know what that is and the process that forms it, I would like to know.

Nice knife BTW!

That is left over heat treat scale on the blade steel. That portion of the blade did not require grinding so the heat treat scale is still visible. Nothing to worry about completely normal. Some makers leave the heat treat scale on the blade flats for aesthetics. Many of the Northwoods knives are that way. Here is a Fiddleback forge that is also that way.
bnSMaZI.jpg

Part of the forging process, very common on Traditional knives, does not interfere with smooth action.

Although not interested in the RFoot I do think the Tidioute shield/Oily Creek makes for a sturdy and attractive pairing that will age nicely:cool:

The tubes look great. Awesome job on these and I’m sure the knife will be equally pleasing. Congratulations Charlie can’t wait to see one next to and old Sheffield made Lamb foot

Real Lamb Foot
After a prodigious study of antique cutlery we feel we have developed the perfect handle for a Lamb Foot Knife. It comes to hand well to do the work required of it.

The Lamb Foot blade has a straight, easily sharpened edge with a tapered configuration, giving exquisite reach.

The tip is sharp yet reinforced, so not prone to breakage like a more tapered blade. Its gradual slope makes it unobtrusive in the pocket.

This blade is a favourite of gardeners and those engaged in animal husbandry throughout the United Kingdom. After hundreds of years it is time for this knife to come into the

American lexicon like other Sheffield designs before it.

So here we have the first American-produced Lamb Foot Knife.

With a tip of the hat to the highly evolved Joseph Rodgers Cutlery Company of a century ago, and a stroke of genius from a certain local cutler, we have an ancient knife for the current age.

Remember to oil the joints and keep your knife sharp and wiped.

Thanks for your support of this old pattern.

CC/JB

Here's the back label text again

Real Lamb Foot
After a prodigious study of antique cutlery we feel we have developed the perfect handle for a Lamb Foot Knife. It comes to hand well to do the work required of it.

The Lamb Foot blade has a straight, easily sharpened edge with a tapered configuration, giving exquisite reach.

The tip is sharp yet reinforced, so not prone to breakage like a more tapered blade. Its gradual slope makes it unobtrusive in the pocket.

This blade is a favourite of gardeners and those engaged in animal husbandry throughout the United Kingdom. After hundreds of years it is time for this knife to come into the

American lexicon like other Sheffield designs before it.

So here we have the first American-produced Lamb Foot Knife.

With a tip of the hat to the highly evolved Joseph Rodgers Cutlery Company of a century ago, and a stroke of genius from a certain local cutler, we have an ancient knife for the current age.

Remember to oil the joints and keep your knife sharp and wiped.

Thanks for your support of this old pattern.

CC/JB

Here's the back label text again

Beautifully worded.

Back