2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

I recommend the 30° angle and forget about a micro bevel.
I emailed GEC and asked them the same Question. Answer came back- we cannot tell you, we sharpen all our knives by hand, we recommend keeping the angle as fine as possible. So i think 30 degrees inclusive should be fine. When i have to sharpen my latest purchase, i am going to mark the edge and try 15deg. per side. I asked them because i have just received my first GEC and did not want to stuff up the edge, wanted to keep it factory angle.

CB2E651B-719D-41ED-8727-4EF4FA4FAE3A_zpso5sdwkmk.jpeg

I know that Christian but it's still something to keep in mind for the average knife using guy or gal.

Oh I agree. But the problem is that the "average knife" using guy or gal likely won't bother with tailoring a knife's edge with its intended use. From what I see those folks don't even bother to learn to sharpen.

No chance for pix now as it's late. But a fine Coco arrived today thanks to very kind help from @traumkommode in getting hold of one fo me in the frenzy in the USA ;):thumbsup:

Really beautiful finish and lustre on the wood, it's also nice to think that if it get's used it may darken, some Coco presents near Ebony. These knives seem to have a lot in common with a type of Swell End knife that was common in England in the c19th with a large Sheepfoot or Rope type blade. What Dickens referred to in 'Great Expectations' as a Clasp Knife:cool:

Keep in mind, the factory angle is not necessarily the right angle for what the knife will be used for.
I agree, and that is a good observation. The new GEC is the first i have owned, and it has the correct angle from the factory for what i will be using it for, so just want to maintain that angle, but your point is a valid one and appreciated, thanks.

Back