2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

A nice dark red one with stripes, but difficult to show on a sunny morning. So I show off the swedge which is a strong aesthetic on the Northfields. Then I made coffee :D

KGzLm3p.jpg

After a couple days of carrying my 93, the swedge ( pinchable area ) developed a noticeable patina just from my fingerprints. I used a piece a leather with green compound and most of it came of quite easily. The "N" in "Northfield" got a bit lighter with only going over it a couple times with the leather, the etching seems very superficial.
I think I am just going to embrace "patina" LOL :)
cjvNS4H.jpg

After a couple days of carrying my 93, the swedge ( pinchable area ) developed a noticeable patina just from my fingerprints. I used a piece a leather with green compound and most of it came of quite easily. The "N" in "Northfield" got a bit lighter with only going over it a couple times with the leather, the etching seems very superficial.
cjvNS4H.jpg
Beautiful colors on that one CelloDan CelloDan ! I would let the patina develop...it's inevitable. As for the etching, the Northfield is one I don't mind. However, if half the etch was fading, that would drive me nuts. I would polish the rest off.

cjvNS4H.jpg

Why don’t you just use a cloth that has mineral oil on it? Compound and leather seems overkill to get finger prints off.

Why don’t you just use a cloth that has mineral oil on it? Compound and leather seems overkill to get finger prints off.
I did it to remove the grey patina that had developed from my sweaty fingerprints over the swedge area over a couple of days.
Now that the patina it's off I carry a microfiber cloth and clean the blade a few times a day .... but in all honesty ....I need to just let the whole blade patina and use and enjoy the knife for what it is.

Finally recieved my last #93 today.

I believe it is safe to say this run of #93s have been the best run, start to finish, GEC has produced since at least the #44 last summer. The #14s and #85s were pretty darn solid, and the #06s were even better than those two, but this entire run has had terrific f&f, great wall and talk, and the pulls have been rather consistant and perfectly appropriate for the design.

A Ajd3530 Choice selection, the Tidioute is looking very much like Primitive Bone in that shot, I know it isn't but it's taken to use really nicely:cool:

This run is far ahead of the 44s in my opinion, just too much brass on a lot of them :thumbsdown:;):D

uC43hHs.jpg

Let's start off with this as a reference point. An old catalogue picture from Taylor's Eye Witness of Sheffield c 1897. Some interesting examples here of straight edges and other agri/horti blades in conjunction with impressive handles. All carry the small Rat-Tail excepting the last Barlow bolstered Sheepfoot knife with a pistol grip handle, strong French influence I'd argue. What we can see here is the aesthetic importance of proportion notably on the Lamb Foot example: Long droop nosed tapering blade that fills the handle completely. The handle itself is relatively narrow, ensuring that an otherwise large knife is not going to feel bloated and monstrous in the hand-bear in mind that farm workers or horticultural workers were also young boys and girls and women whose hands were not likely to be massive. Thus the Lamb Foot is a manoeuvrable tool in many different hands. The Taylor example is echoed by very similar style and approach for J.Rodgers and others. Ring a bell?

Right, the Waynorth Cutlery interpretation follows these style cues and draws on c19th DNA to re-create its own version which I regard as the best and most satisfying on all fronts: aesthetic, quality of construction (all steel no brass) choice of bolster and jigging, length and blade styling. It has premier F&F and requires no work to get it to acceptable carry standard. Without a doubt it is the best Lamb Foot made for a very long time indeed and for those lucky enough to have one, a star in the knife cosmos :cool:

And why do I think this? From observing others' knives and pictures, especially those which show the knife in comparison to other straight edges. But also from collecting an unexpected but dreamt for box from the PO this afternoon... A certain CC Connoisseur of Cutlery of Sicilian extraction and outrageously generous gent sent me this box that contained one of these stars of the knife cosmos;) Not just kind but an embodiment of quality on all levels, many thanks indeed my friend.

Picture was rushed as I got in just before midnight but an old picture book from England gave what I think is a suitable backdrop- Stonehenge and a Sheep flock:D This is the real thing and so sleek:thumbsup:

ByH0dNV.jpg

Thanks Christian, it adds a new dimension as well. Can't stop coon fingering it:D

Time to turn in to bed now, been sleeping poorly.:(

uC43hHs.jpg

Let's start off with this as a reference point. An old catalogue picture from Taylor's Eye Witness of Sheffield c 1897. Some interesting examples here of straight edges and other agri/horti blades in conjunction with impressive handles. All carry the small Rat-Tail excepting the last Barlow bolstered Sheepfoot knife with a pistol grip handle, strong French influence I'd argue. What we can see here is the aesthetic importance of proportion notably on the Lamb Foot example: Long droop nosed tapering blade that fills the handle completely. The handle itself is relatively narrow, ensuring that an otherwise large knife is not going to feel bloated and monstrous in the hand-bear in mind that farm workers or horticultural workers were also young boys and girls and women whose hands were not likely to be massive. Thus the Lamb Foot is a manoeuvrable tool in many different hands. The Taylor example is echoed by very similar style and approach for J.Rodgers and others. Ring a bell?

Right, the Waynorth Cutlery interpretation follows these style cues and draws on c19th DNA to re-create its own version which I regard as the best and most satisfying on all fronts: aesthetic, quality of construction (all steel no brass) choice of bolster and jigging, length and blade styling. It has premier F&F and requires no work to get it to acceptable carry standard. Without a doubt it is the best Lamb Foot made for a very long time indeed and for those lucky enough to have one, a star in the knife cosmos :cool:

Wow, now I want one of those with all that belly.

Beautiful colors on that one CelloDan CelloDan ! I would let the patina develop...it's inevitable. As for the etching, the Northfield is one I don't mind. However, if half the etch was fading, that would drive me nuts. I would polish the rest off.
Ok, I was wrong about the etching being superficial ! I guess the green compound had left residue that was obscuring part of it. I just cleaned the knife with mineral oil after some good use by my wife this afternoon preparing food and the etching is just fine :thumbsup:

Back