2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

Today is one month into my own imposed, publicly announced commitment to carrying my RAM for one year. :D
I have carried it every day this past month and I love it just as much as at the start.
However I may have over estimated my capacity for loyalty and faithfulness LOL
Since I got my Ram, I got a lambsfoot, a new stag Grohmann, won two knifes in a GAW @JohnDF and I may soon have another one coming.
My pocket is not big enough LOL but I'll keep it up :thumbsup:

I took this pic a little while ago on the shore of Prince Edward Island
2HFIjFr.jpg
Hey Dan, your Ram looks great after a month of use! I can relate to your situation. I've found The One several times this year, but in the end it's too hard to only use/carry one, especially if you spend any time around here at all! At the moment I've mostly settled in with my 93 Jigged Lamb as The One... we'll see how that holds up!

Hey Dan, your Ram looks great after a month of use! I can relate to your situation. I've found The One several times this year, but in the end it's too hard to only use/carry one, especially if you spend any time around here at all! At the moment I've mostly settled in with my 93 Jigged Lamb as The One... we'll see how that holds up!
Thank you akaMatt !
I find it interesting how trough my pockets knives I get to explore my own feelings/ideas, attach meaning and stories to certain knives, make the little decisions on which one to carry today.

Reading my original post I see myself feeling quite excited and a bit naive a month ago :)

Good luck with the lamb “the one” that you are enjoying now :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is a new arrival, and my first 93, cocobolo... I thought I really didn't want one, but broke down and grabbed this one. First impressions..... a little smaller than I expected, but sweeeeet.... touched the edge lightly with a fine diamond stone, and brought it up to semi-scary sharp. Can't wait to see how it feels in use...

93_zps7aajszh6.jpg

Well, I got another 93 in cocobolo.... I had someone interested in my first one, so I began a casual "look-see" for another one. I found this one for sale almost immediately. The first one has gone to its new home and owner, and this is now my 93... it, too, came up to startling sharp with almost no effort on the fine diamond stone. Good stuff, those 93's....

93%20new%20mark_zps7tsz5rbm.jpg
93%20new%20pile_zpsuu6nof2r.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get one of the Special Factory Assembly (is that what they are?) white bone Lambfoots that Bill presented to Charlie at the Rendezvous. It's always great to get to see and talk with Charlie, even if only briefly, and he always has some really cool knives with him at the Rendezvous. I actually heard about these late, after already having talked to him and set down to display my own knives, and Charlie was kind enough to sell one to me. I wasn't able to keep one of the normal run Lambfoots, so I was very excited to get one of these.

6L30w6nl.jpg

86oIpfwl.jpg

With the rest of my Rendezvous haul:

3bRon7Gl.jpg

I am not a Lambfoot expert, this is my first of the pattern, but I appreciate the history and work that's gone in to bringing this knife to fruition. I also really like undyed bone. My first GEC was a smooth ivory bone TC sheepfoot, so this knife kind of evokes that original.

Here it is with some other undyed bone from GEC:

VN9k8EKl.jpg

And compared to the "ramfoot" and sheepfoot blade shapes (I probably should have used a less worn sheepfoot):

2cpinoul.jpg

I wasn't sure at first if I was going to use this knife or put it up as a collection piece. It seemed to nice, rare (1 of 27!), and historic to use. But then I couldn't help myself from putting it in a pouch and carrying it..... then without the pouch.... then I just went and used it! I also realized, to my surprise, that it has something I haven't seen on a GEC; one of the corners of the mark side bolster sticks over the liner enough to see and catch a fingernail on. But on a user that doesn't matter!

I harvested a bunch of tomatoes for my mother in law and couldn't help but put it to use:

1o3jrS4l.jpg

xz8QIMyl.jpg

There's nothing that gets a patina going quite like scalded tomatoes:

XwwVSLgl.jpg

OeGuKacl.jpg

You should see the colors of the patina from this! Even on the bolsters. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It slices really well (I noticed at work today that it zips through cardboard like a razor!).

I was showing off some knives at my cousin's daughter's birthday party and she showed interest, here she is inspecting all 3 that I carried that day (ignore the non-traditional):

She liked the Lambfoot better than the modern, but sorry Charlie waynorth waynorth , the #29 in Grits with Butter & Molasses was her pick!

She wanted to keep it! And I'm glad to be keeping and using a Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot:

CiiIzE8l.jpg

I'd be interested to hear all of your thoughts on using a knife like this? I definitely enjoy using my knives, even these rarer ones, but sometimes I feel bad knowing that so many people want them and I am taking one off the market (to collectors at least) by using it.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad using it Logan!! That's what a knifemaker hopes!!:) You are making Bill and I proud!! I have carried my ebony #93 ever since I got it - it's long but unobtrusive in the pocket, its perfect!! The weight, the blade shape, it's all very good!! I hope you enjoy the knife and tomatoes immensely!! And your niece's daughter too!!:D

So, I'm going to do a full article on the GEC Waynorth Lambfoot at KnifeThoughts.com but I thought I'd post my thoughts and experiences so far here first.

I was fortunate enough to get one of the Special Factory Assembly (is that what they are?) white bone Lambfoots that Bill presented to Charlie at the Rendezvous. It's always great to get to see and talk with Charlie, even if only briefly, and he always has some really cool knives with him at the Rendezvous. I actually heard about these late, after already having talked to him and set down to display my own knives, and Charlie was kind enough to sell one to me. I wasn't able to keep one of the normal run Lambfoots, so I was very excited to get one of these.

6L30w6nl.jpg

86oIpfwl.jpg

With the rest of my Rendezvous haul:

3bRon7Gl.jpg

I am not a Lambfoot expert, this is my first of the pattern, but I appreciate the history and work that's gone in to bringing this knife to fruition. I also really like undyed bone. My first GEC was a smooth ivory bone TC sheepfoot, so this knife kind of evokes that original.

Here it is with some other undyed bone from GEC:

VN9k8EKl.jpg

And compared to the "ramfoot" and sheepfoot blade shapes (I probably should have used a less worn sheepfoot):

2cpinoul.jpg

I wasn't sure at first if I was going to use this knife or put it up as a collection piece. It seemed to nice, rare (1 of 27!), and historic to use. But then I couldn't help myself from putting it in a pouch and carrying it..... then without the pouch.... then I just went and used it! I also realized, to my surprise, that it has something I haven't seen on a GEC; one of the corners of the mark side bolster sticks over the liner enough to see and catch a fingernail on. But on a user that doesn't matter!

I harvested a bunch of tomatoes for my mother in law and couldn't help but put it to use:

1o3jrS4l.jpg

xz8QIMyl.jpg

There's nothing that gets a patina going quite like scalded tomatoes:

XwwVSLgl.jpg

OeGuKacl.jpg

You should see the colors of the patina from this! Even on the bolsters. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It slices really well (I noticed at work today that it zips through cardboard like a razor!).

I was showing off some knives at my cousin's daughter's birthday party and she showed interest, here she is inspecting all 3 that I carried that day (ignore the non-traditional):

pJijytDl.jpg

She liked the Lambfoot better than the modern, but sorry Charlie waynorth waynorth , the #29 in Grits with Butter & Molasses was her pick!

VEh13R0l.jpg

She wanted to keep it! And I'm glad to be keeping and using a Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot:

CiiIzE8l.jpg

I'd be interested to hear all of your thoughts on using a knife like this? I definitely enjoy using my knives, even these rarer ones, but sometimes I feel bad knowing that so many people want them and I am taking one off the market (to collectors at least) by using it.

I don't feel the least bit guilty. If I see someone else's knife I might wish I had one like that, but it never crossed my mind that they gave two seconds thought how I felt, and thats fine. When I get a nice knife I worked hard for my money and with these knives I worked hard to hunt one down, and when it comes to using or owning it I don't give a seconds thought about someone elses feelings. Sorry. :)

Just use it how you want to, or stick it in a drawer and use it some other time, and be glad you got it, smile and be proud every time you show it.
#93 Cocobolo 1.jpg
#93 Natural Canvas 9.jpg

:D

A GEC Dealer put out some NOS #Rams Foot #93 knives out today. I borrowed some money from mother and I jumped in the truck to the bank. Pay-pal to the rescue. Both knives were still available when I got back home. I bought the GEC#93 natural canvas micarta. Lowest priced shipped too ! The #93 Northfield antique autumn jigged bone just sold out. Just checked both are gone. I will dye my #93 canvas in dark navy blue leather dye. These knives must of been left overs from Rendezvous.

Last edited:
Back