2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk about carry.. In reality very few will actually edc the Forum knife..:rolleyes: I know some of yinz will.. But..o_O
John

The Buck at 8.5" long and around 6.5 oz is a monster of a knife! If I'm doing something that I need that size of a knife I'd probably be better off sizing up to a 10" plus knife.
That's my thought too. I have been doing my research on the Vanguard, it's a great knife and has amazing reviews. I definitely would use it when I'm hunting. Will I use carry it every day? No. It definitely wouldn't be in my EDC rotation. My other concern is once all the votes are tallied are we gonna get a knife like last year? A knife in CPM154 with elk handles and nickle silver bolsters? We won't be able to get a different steel because of the price limits.
Look, there is a stacked version, there is a longer version and there is a stag version already produced.

Laster year there was talk of wanting something nobody else could get. And that something different and that's what GEC is offering. A one of a kind knife. When was the last time GEC did a saber grind? If the GEC version doesn't win? I will still get a knife. I'm just enjoying the Rehetoric to much.

Did someone mention Rams Horn?? One of my favorite materials!
Here's a 192 Vanguard with Rammy...
002.JPG

001.JPG
Now, that's a looker. That would be perfect.

Since we don't have a more accurate "official" visual representation, here's an approximation of what the #86 would look like with a full-size, single sheepsfoot.

fqIfxcb.jpg
Beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to show this one.
View attachment 1073574

I'm seeing a satin finish blade, lined bolster, ebony handled classic.
knarfeng knarfeng You could put this on the original post if you wanted better guidance there.
I love the saber grind longpull Sheepsfoot Blade of the GEC proposal. Thanks for showing this Mike. It is something that will help make this forum knife special. I love it when the forum knife debuts something unique and new from GEC.

I also love the jigged bone and lined bolsters of the btb01 btb01 ‘s rendering. Would it be too much to ask if someone could combine the two? Maybe with a cool shield, like the bomb shield.

Last edited:
#71 is the Bull Nose sodbuster. Are you thinking of the #47?

Maybe I am Barrett (I don't think I have a #47)! :D I was thinking of a #71 with the frame reversed, so it's a Swayback, but I have asked for the pattern that often over the years, I can't remember! :D :thumbsup: We're not going to see it are we? :( :rolleyes:

...A knife in CPM154 with elk handles and nickle silver bolsters? We won't be able to get a different steel because of the price limits...

I think that the issue is the dot stamping. CPM-154 was the only decent steel that could be stamped. Your point is valid either way.

Would a unique shield be too much to ask? Think about it, a shield that we could use for this one and future BF knives. Maybe something fancy like a bomb shield or Orleans shield, but different. Maybe someone (like @waynorth) could identify a very traditional shield that isn’t currently in GEC’s rotation that we could adopt for our forum knives.

Last edited:
The sheepfoot blade has become common - perhaps dominant on the Blade Forums Annual Knife. Perhaps we should change the name of the knife to Blade Forums Annual Sheepfoot Blade Knife. If the sheepfoot blade version of the GEC knife is the winner, perhaps GEC could at least put a match strike pull on it. Don't say they can't because they did it on the Schrade Fire & Ice knives they made.

Mike, I love my Buck Knives (not sure how many I own, but a lot of them) and I really like the few GEC Knives that I own (probably about 14 or 15). What GEC is very good at is bringing back the dead - vintage designs not readily available any longer. I really like what GEC did there in your new drawing - reminds me of the Case 11031SH - a fine, vintage design. I voted Buck Knife because I think a fixed blade is in order for the end of a decade of Blade Forum's annual knives, but if the GEC design prevails I'm all in for one of them - tell your partners at GEC that design looks great. OH
Ps someone mentioned having both?? If that happens I'll be in for one of each.

We have seen some great Buck 192 examples and ours might be similar to some but I don't think every detail will match plus I suspect some if not majority of those examples have been limited runs that you can't get anymore.

Maybe I am Barrett (I don't think I have a #47)! :D I was thinking of a #71 with the frame reversed, so it's a Swayback, but I have asked for the pattern that often over the years, I can't remember! :D :thumbsup: We're not going to see it are we? :( :rolleyes:

Makes sense. The #47 is pretty close to that, a little less curvy and thicker in the middle and at the pivot end. I think the #47 is just a reversed version of the #74, but don't quote me on that. Here are a couple #47's (one with a big Sheepsfoot) GEC has done, along with a #71.

aS8YaCj.jpg

Here's one that Ron (@Half/Stop) had @glennbad make for him, combining a Northfield #47 handle with the sheepsfoot blade from a Farm & Field #47. Now something like that would be a great Forum knife... :D

44048395751_936186b576_b_d.jpg

(Hope you don't mind me borrowing your photo, Ron!)

The sheepfoot blade has become common - perhaps dominant on the Blade Forums Annual Knife. Perhaps we should change the name of the knife to Blade Forums Annual Sheepfoot Blade Knife. If the sheepfoot blade version of the GEC knife is the winner, perhaps GEC could at least put a match strike pull on it. Don't say they can't because they did it on the Schrade Fire & Ice knives they made.
I’d disagree that the sheepsfoot has become the dominant blade used for BF traditional forum knives. In all the years it has only been used as a mainblade on the 2017 version TC Barlow version. That one was kind of plain looking. This proposed blade will be much better looking. Especially if a matchstrike long-pull was included :).

I do find it interesting that last year and even early this year has been rife with complaints in regards to GEC's purported lack of interest and inability to satiate our discriminating desires. The argument can be made that yes, we are still not able to choose the pattern and we apparently are unable to choose the blade. But, if anyone here is familiar with their manufacturing process, we should be able to understand why they cannot just let us choose a brand new pattern and have them run it.

That all said, GEC (in collaboration with Mike) is providing us with the option to have a rather special knife. A new pattern with new features and in a configuration that will not be available to anybody else. Arguably, we will even get to pick trim features and cover materials. Sure, you cannot make everyone happy and the Sheepfoot blade is surprisingly polarizing right now. Turn that 86 into a Barlow and I would be willing to bet something valuable that a lot of those sheepfoot naysayers would change their tune. (The power of the GEC Barlow, as they say)

As attracted as I am to the Buck Vanguard, I cannot but feel some remorse that we are missing a rather unique opportunity being offered by GEC. Obviously, there isn't a shortage of limited runs done on the Buck Vanguard, despite it not being a Custom Shop option, so I would not feel any particular loss should it not come to fruition. That said, we will likely not see this opportunity from GEC ever or at least not for quite some time.

Just some things to think about, I suppose.

I’d disagree that the sheepsfoot has become the dominant blade used for BF traditional forum knives. In all the years it has only been used as a mainblade on the 2017 version TC Barlow version. That one was kind of plain looking. This proposed blade will be much better looking. Especially if a matchstrike long-pull was included :).

I think a lot of folks are counting secondary blades as amongst the numbers that they deem prolific. I think that is a mistake but it is naught but my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back