2020 GEC #19 Little Rattler Thread

After carrying my #19 all day at work yesterday and making one cut with it, I've decided to go back to my single blade #14 for now.

There isn't anything wrong with the #19. It's a great little knife and it will likely end up in my pocket again sooner or later. If I didn't have a #14 the #19 would be more than adequate.

Kingwood
20201114-112929.jpg

Could we see a few in the hand shots please?

The 14 is a small knife with very slender feel- and I have small hands for a man. Perhaps the Rattler having that broad Copperhead type bolster feels broader in the hand?

If you don’t mind I will throw my 2-cents in. I’ve had mine for a week now and I don’t think the large bolster makes it feel bigger in the hand at all. In fact, the slenderness of the knife makes it feel smaller and lighter, to me anyway, than the 06. I still really like it, but it is what it is, a small knife.

I find I don't even use the nailnick on the 19, i just pinch the blade near the smaller bolster and pull and it opens very easy that way. Due to the humpback blade shape, lightweight blade, and an easy/light pull (but still has good snap)

Thanks for the pix Rick and for the input from others:thumbsup:

I wonder how it compares with a Coyote 18? i admire my example but frankly, it's too toy like for credible carry or use.

Still fixated by that Snakeskin Ac though ;)

I wonder how it compares with a Coyote 18? i admire my example but frankly, it's too toy like for credible carry or use.
Will, you have mentioned "toy like" a few times in the past and for some reason, it stuck in my mind. When I carried my #19 the other day I did in fact get a little bit of a toy like feel from it. That may have only been because of your past comments but it did cross my mind.

I think you would like the #19 if you were to get one but I think you would find that it has that same toy like feel and you might not carry it because of that.

I've never owned a Coyote. The closest GEC I've owned to compare the #19 with is an #06 Pemberton. I never got the toy like feel from the Pemberton.

One of the reasons that knives of this size are often too small for me to carry is because of my experience with the Case Peanut. It's too small for me to carry because the front bolster is so narrow. I always feel like I'm going to drop a Peanut but I never felt that way with the #19.

I think the Wharncliffe blade adds to the "toy like" experience. I felt like the Coyote and Pemberton were "toy like", but my #06 Templar doesn't feel that way and I think it's because of the full clip blade. Same goes for the last run of the #14 with the clip blade. Just some thoughts on the subject. :)

I picked up one of these. I do see the “toy like” thing. Maybe, for me, because it looks like a pattern that is typically larger just scaled down. Hard to explain. That being said, I do actually like it a lot more than I thought I would. It may just be because of aesthetics. I do like that it is very pinchable. I usually sell off peanut sized knives. I get we’ll see if this one makes it long term.

IMHO, the only "small" EDC is the 25 (width does matter :D). 06 Templar IS a nice (cutting) toy, like the Baby Butterbean Case or small SAK. 14 are clock pocket gentlemen knives. New 19 seems to be a reminder of how nice the 57 was...
petits.jpg

Don’t have a 19, and can’t see myself picking one up as I have a Coyote. If I didn’t have the coyote, I’d prob give a Rattler a try. I don’t carry the 18 often as it’s so small and light I worry I’ll lose it. I have large hands and it is good in use as a two finger hold package opener. My 25 and 14 are a little larger but quite a bit heavier letting them sit a little better in pocket so I don’t feel like I’m going to lose them as easily.
I did carry the Coyote yesterday though and it came in super handy, I was working on a project and needed to do some intricate cuts through denim hardened with superglue without damaging surrounding wood. It’s small size and thin blade made the cuts easy whereas a larger knife would not have fit or allowed for the tricky angles as well.
It does feel delicate but really isn’t. I personally don’t think it feels toy like due to the quality of construction but it indeed is pretty tiny.

My toy observations are not based on quality of construction or materials, the Coyote is extremely well put together. But they are based on its noticeable lightweight, the thin handles and lack of convincing W&T, moreover, it's the aspect of proportions that concerns me. As I've said, my hands are small, at least the palms, and fingers long and thin but I'm very dextrous, if I find it small I rather suspect 'normal' or large male hands will find it skimpy and troublesome :D

Certain small Winchester BB knives and RRs I find no problem with but I just feel GEC has yet to master small sized patterns. Some people have remarked about the blade and I'd agree, Wharncliffes can make a small knife smaller;) Yet I have no problem with the CASE Swayback Gent, a big favourite and credible for me.

It might be rewarding to pair a Rattler 19 with its senior, the 57 Half Whitt but I rather think I won't be able to.

Regards, Will

rfGPSmh.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed the Coyote is very thin along with being lightweight. Mine has amazing walk and talk however. Obviously a light(ish) pull but very snappy and that nice little bounce at half.

The oldest GEC dealer (age75) just drop a few Kingwood GEC#19 rattler knives. (hours later still there !)

yeah, I’m glad to see them sitting there on the shelf. The king wood little rattler is nice, but it’s not $95 worth of nice. You could get an ebony 15 with that one-off bail and chain for that much, and that was a justifiably high price for a single bladed 1095 slip joint with the special made and locally produced bail and chain.

edit: and my complaining stems from the fact that GEC doesn’t see a dime more for all this gouging. If the product is truly that high-end, the inflated prices would start from GEC.

My toy observations are not based on quality of construction or materials, the Coyote is extremely well put together. But they are based on its noticeable lightweight, the thin handles and lack of convincing W&T, moreover, it's the aspect of proportions that concerns me. As I've said, my hands are small, at least the palms, and fingers long and thin but I'm very dextrous, if I find it small I rather suspect 'normal' or large male hands will find it skimpy and troublesome :D

Certain small Winchester BB knives and RRs I find no problem with but I just feel GEC has yet to master small sized patterns. Some people have remarked about the blade and I'd agree, Wharncliffes can make a small knife smaller;) Yet I have no problem with the CASE Swayback Gent, a big favourite and credible for me.

It might be rewarding to pair a Rattler 19 with its senior, the 57 Half Whitt but I rather think I won't be able to.

Regards, Will

rfGPSmh.jpg
Where have you been hiding that fantastic coin knife with three implements? I’m a big fan.

Where have you been hiding that fantastic coin knife with three implements? I’m a big fan.

:D Pay more attention Alan :)

But many thanks, it has been shown before and is a revered present from Jolipapa Jolipapa Scissors, nail file and blade a masterwork of ingenuity in a hollowed out Napoléon III coin from 1869- by a staggering co-incidence, the birth year of my paternal grandfather (men breed late and some women too in the family ;))

Regards, Will

Back