2020 GEC #19 Little Rattler Thread

I thought I'd throw this up. Lousy lighting, I know, but I have not seen very many of these in the wild. Kingwood is really nice. I wish GEC (or anybody) used it more often.

LZ6tpZ0h.jpg

Interestingly, the spring is much lighter on this than on my micarta version. Like a ~3 vs. the micarta 5.

Yeah, me too, but I don’t like hearing the next ones have a lighter pull. My micarta is as light as I would want.
Yeah man, I definitely prefer a little more, not a little less.
That said, I bet they're all the same with the occasional one off.

I got the Kingwood in the other day - this is a very pretty wood and looks really nice on this pattern. The pull on this one is a bit lighter than the Micarta but otherwise is pretty impeccable. The smooth white bone should be in early next week.

1Sjtt9H.jpg

jTpvkTO.jpg

Looking good waiting on the shipping notice for my smooth white bone also and can’t wait!
Really liking the choice of shield on this run.

21AA01E8-2B73-46D8-BCBB-7BEF779B3D6C.jpeg

First and possibly only #19. I do like this better than I thought I would. But it’s still a small knife, smaller than I like. But feels better in hand than the #6 Pemberton to me. The good, I like the Kingwood, nice grain looks good on this pattern. Good overall fit and finish on construction, no gaps around the spring, nice fit up to the bolsters. The bad, just a tad too small. Light pull, I’m guessing around a 3.5-4, but is snappy into open or close position. Shield fit could be better, a bit of a gap around the perimeter. I am on standby for the blue bone and snakeskin acrylic. I like acrylic so kind of hope it comes through. But not sure I’ll chase another one down.

Last edited:
View attachment 1460280

First and possibly only #19. I do like this better than I thought I would. But it’s still a small knife, smaller than I like. But feels better in hand than the #9 Pemberton to me. The good, I like the Kingwood, nice grain looks good on this pattern. Good overall fit and finish on construction, no gaps around the spring, nice fit up to the bolsters. The bad, just a tad too small. Light pull, I’m guessing around a 3.5-4, but is snappy into open or close position. Shield fit could be better, a bit of a gap around the perimeter. I am on standby for the blue bone and snakeskin acrylic. I like acrylic so kind of hope it comes through. But not sure I’ll chase another one down.
I have the same gap on my kingwood shield... On mine it appears they filled it in with some expoxy or something. I try to put my fingernail in the gap but I can't.

Yes, poor inlet puts me right off. Especially since they pride themselves on pinned shields and have always done them so well in the past.

This needs to be watched.

It appears that the shield problem is just with the recent run of wood handles, not noticing it on the micarta and bone. I thought on the ironwood it might have been from rushing the inlay process on an ultra hardwood or maybe usage of slightly dulled bits. Not sure what the hardness of Kingwood is or if they are just going a smudge wide to avoid any issues with the shield fitment.

Back