2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

I kind of feel like mine's a solid 5 if not a 6. Any tighter and I don't think I would like it on the smallish blades. They're nice and snappy, not quite flush at half open however fully open and fully closed are perfect.
I received my jigged bone today and have the same half stop "problem" but as yours my closed and fully Open are spot on. the main blade is quite a bit thinner than I like for everyday user but will work for fruits!!!

I h
It looks even better outdoors.
DxxquDp.jpg

BNozPsT.jpg
I had not even considered the Ivory acrylic until these pics...... :confused: thanks a lot...

Out of the I dont know 100+ gec knives I have handled I have never felt a flush half stop. If you get one, you lucked into a custom quality production folder and should probably buy a lottery ticket :D
I knew I should have bought that ticket the day I received my oily creek bone 86! lol

Out of the I dont know 100+ gec knives I have handled I have never felt a flush half stop. If you get one, you lucked into a custom quality production folder and should probably buy a lottery ticket :D

Yeah, I don't expect it or even really care to be honest. My Waynorth Black Jack and Forum knife are awfully close so that means I have double the chance of hitting the lottery? :D.

I knew I should have bought that ticket the day I received my oily creek bone 86! lol

That's awesome you got one! I have had a few very close but non completely 100% perfect and undetectable. For a production knife I am happy that they are flush in open and close.

Yeah, I don't expect it or even really care to be honest. My Waynorth Black Jack and Forum knife are awfully close so that means I have double the chance of hitting the lottery? :D.

Maybe buy some double mint gum, double the pleasure lol. I have a few that are awfully close but close doesnt count. Not playing horseshoes anytime soon :)

Reactions: AnW
There is a rough spot on the edge of the pile side that seems to have picked up a little dark buffing compound, but I expect that will wash out. If not, I'm not upset as this knife will be a user.
Rachel, ours must have been from the same batch. Mine arrived late this afternoon (new postman)... mine has black spots on 3 of the 4 edges... I tried to lightly buff them with fine sanding cloth, and they did not come out. I then tried to lightly scrape them with the edge of a sharp knife, and they did not come out. They look like they are "down in" the acrylic... I don't know whether to just accept it and have it as a user, or send it back to see if they can get the spots out... I'm not normally a nit-picker, so if this is a common thing, I'll likely just roll with it.. but if it is, indeed, unexpected for unicorn, I might see if they can correct it.

iGCoRA.jpg
iGCupM.jpg

iGCDFQ.jpg
iGCP0a.jpg

I got to do something somewhat rare tonight... Open a GEC package using the same pattern knife from a previous run. It's the little things.

Unicorn ivory is a pretty cool material. I like the feel. The knife has a great pull and snap. Perfect for the size. My main blade has the spring sit a touch proud when open, but not enough to matter. The leftover polishing compound is pretty ugly. I trust that will wear away over time.

All in all a gorgeous little thing. Interesting to see that they switched the sides of the liner/spacer/whatever. I never had any trouble getting my pen blade open on the old one, but the nail knick cutout is a nice touch.

Here are a few quick late night shots.

20200127_214559-1280x960.jpg 20200127_214535-1280x960.jpg 20200127_214236-960x1280.jpg 20200127_214248-960x1280.jpg 20200127_214345-1280x960.jpg 20200127_214510-960x1280.jpg

Lol. Flush at half stop is one of those things that never occurred to me to check for until I started hanging around this forum. I do have one: my #22 Magnum in white bone.
I h

I had not even considered the Ivory acrylic until these pics...... :confused: thanks a lot...
Well, I'm happy to be an enabler. :p

Rachel, ours must have been from the same batch. Mine arrived late this afternoon (new postman)... mine has black spots on 3 of the 4 edges... I tried to lightly buff them with fine sanding cloth, and they did not come out. I then tried to lightly scrape them with the edge of a sharp knife, and they did not come out. They look like they are "down in" the acrylic... I don't know whether to just accept it and have it as a user, or send it back to see if they can get the spots out... I'm not normally a nit-picker, so if this is a common thing, I'll likely just roll with it.. but if it is, indeed, unexpected for unicorn, I might see if they can correct it.

iGCoRA.jpg
iGCupM.jpg

iGCDFQ.jpg
iGCP0a.jpg
That does look worse than mine, as mine is only one small area on one edge. I've been rubbing oil on it with my thumb for a little while and it's looking a little better. I don't know if this is expected for unicorn, except they did have problems with it in the past. It may be prone to chipping. My #25 Barlow was sold as an "s" because there are a few tiny chips right next to the bolster. (towards the bottom edge in this pic)
IO39wHg.jpg

My understanding is that the black spots were one of the issues with unicorn, mine has a small spot on the spring side that I am just ignoring because the overall knife is so great!

Every white knife that I have owned from GEC has this issue. Although it is a limited sample size.

You guys mention “proud” half stops, so I figured I’d share my theory. A spring that is proud on half stop has more spring tension than the closed or open positions. I think this is a deliberate decision to keep the half stops firm and eliminate over travel at the half position. I have a Case Swayback Gent with a flush spring at half stop, but the spring is so anemic that it doesn’t have any problem staying at half stop... not that other knives would, but my theory is that it’s a measured precaution.

Am I the first to get a Unicorn Congress in hand?
Here we go: It's great, and I echo what others have said about the fit and design. The sunk joints and rounded corners will make this a pleasure to carry.
7FKgy8p.jpg

0ZkO7gM.jpg

The grain in the "ivory" is much more pronounced than on my #25 Barlow, but from seeing various pictures I think there was a range of variation in that run, and mine had only subtle lines. I tried to take some pictures for comparison, along with the plain Ivory Micarta on the #13 Forum knife.
hXj4vuW.jpg

HZf1MQQ.jpg

There is a rough spot on the edge of the pile side that seems to have picked up a little dark buffing compound, but I expect that will wash out. If not, I'm not upset as this knife will be a user.
IO39wHg.jpg

iGCoRA.jpg
iGCupM.jpg

iGCDFQ.jpg
iGCP0a.jpg

I had a small black spot like that on my #25. It never bothered me, and it has gotten a bit better after carrying the knife. That said, it was minimal, like r8shell r8shell 's. That looks like a lot more on your knife, hornetguy hornetguy .

Still waiting on my Unicorn Ivory #62. I'm hoping it'll arrive tomorrow (according to the tracking number it's in Minneapolis, only about 20 miles away), but the estimated delivery is still for Wednesday.

Back