2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Just pulled the Snakewood out of the tube and couldn’t be happier another great example. Blades are hair popping sharp and excellent fit and finish just like my Micarta.
Liked it so much I just ordered a desert Ironwood :thumbsup:
This Snakewood is drop dead gorgeous!!
Can’t wait to see it in some natural light and I wouldn’t be shocked if it started hissing at me :D

PFMsKCO.jpg

0GJmq9h.jpg

nCXoJj2.jpg

NYeAJba.jpg

Hopefully a DI is en route to Europe, never had this material before but thought it worth a try ;)

That Camel Bar is sucking me in like a hellish vortex too :eek::D Tough expensive month this month, moved home and that always costs :( still, I think I might be able to manage it and NOTHING else on the knife horizon remotely attracts me. Pen style construction when done well, and these certainly are, is the cutler's masterclass test:cool:

Thick covers are useful to increase the precision by a better control.

Dan.
I find handle thickness to be secondary to me to length of the handle. I can deal with thick and thin handles however I like the but to sit nicely in the heel of my hand. The a loose grip to my index finger with my thumb on the back of the knife for control. Then the thumb on my off hand is the motor that pushes the blade. It is definitely an individual preference thing for each carver though. Heck what do I know I have been told in a different online setting that my carvings are rudimentary. :eek::D:D:p

Just pulled the Snakewood out of the tube and couldn’t be happier another great example. Blades are hair popping sharp and excellent fit and finish just like my Micarta.
Liked it so much I just ordered a desert Ironwood :thumbsup:
This Snakewood is drop dead gorgeous!!
Can’t wait to see it in some natural light and I wouldn’t be shocked if it started hissing at me :D

PFMsKCO.jpg

0GJmq9h.jpg

nCXoJj2.jpg

NYeAJba.jpg
That is superb, even with just one eye open. I’m afraid if I open both eyes I’ll have to open my wallet. Well maybe if I just peek quickly. Nah, no self control.

My snakewood came today also...butter knife dull and same swirl/scratches on the blade, bolsters, and shield.

Seems the quantity forced the quality to suffer on the run.

My blades were pretty scratched up as well, but the blades came the sharpest I’ve seen on a GEC yet. Crazy there can be that much variation.

That cut swedge is growing on me. It really adds some depth to the straightforward wharnecliffe.

I keep going back and forth on the carver. Part of me really wishes the two secondaries had not been identical, though I would admit 2 blades on my three blade knives always get used more. The blade sizes are probably ideal. Maybe it just means I’ll wait for another 38 Grinling run?

we’ll see what happens as more progress is made on them. I’ve been using my #92 and #35 Churchill to whittle at lunch breaks. I’m sure tempted by the “pocket carver” title. Sounds dumb, but it sure sells me on the lifestyle aspect. I think branding is a very strong suit of GEC. They wrap me around their little finger by choosing good names for their knives. “Farm and Field”... why yes, Mr. Howard, I do fancy myself a country boy. I’d love a rugged use knife... that I’d proceed to never use ruggedly. I think “Ramsfoot” and somewhere Tim “the Toolman” Taylor is saying, “More power! Uahh uahh uahh...”.

35 sheepsfoot is a great carver IMO.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve done a lot with that one blade. I was hoping the #62’s secondary was going to be thin like the #35’s sheepfoot. I’d probably own one if it had been.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve done a lot with that one blade. I was hoping the #62’s secondary was going to be thin like the #35’s sheepfoot. I’d probably own one if it had been.
The Carver's secondary is reportedly very thin. I don't know why people are complaining about the redundant blades, I love it. You can carve both right handed and left handed with one knife. :rolleyes:

The Carver's secondary is reportedly very thin. I don't know why people are complaining about the redundant blades, I love it. You can carve both right handed and left handed with one knife. :rolleyes:

“And just when I think I’m out, you DRAG ME BACK IN”

some knives sell themselves to me. This one will be sold to me by Jiki.

I have from a reliable source that the blades are so sharp and pointy after the grind operation before sharpening that the employees are complaining that they keep cutting themselves.

That fact and that it is an unusual configuration leads me to believe that these will never be run again. (How is that wait for the Grinling going?) So in my opinion you should at least pick up a F&F for no other reason it maybe your only chance.

Back