2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

I'm going to imagine that the #74 pattern sprang from the #73 pattern.
Same basic knife with the handle reconfigured to smooth out all the rough edges.

Which Model of a Trapper did GEC come out with FIRST ????? 23 ,,, 42 ,,, 43 ,,, 48 ,,, 71 ,,, 72 ,,, 73 ,,, 74 ,,, 83 ????????? But RUSSELL had a Curved Barlow even before there was a GEC and I like them ALL .

Harry

The 2 blade Barlow is a Jack knife. ;):rolleyes::p
I suppose that is correct, in the broad, general definition. Of course, so is everything from a single blade pemberton to the Cold Steel Espada...
There are multiple definitions, from a "large folding knife" to a "small folding pocket knife" with no mention of how many blades, etc. A "compact, folding knife" is one, as is Merriam Webster's "a large strong pocketknife".

So, yes.... ALL of our knives are jackknives, unless they happen to be a fixed blade....

I suppose that is correct, in the broad, general definition. Of course, so is everything from a single blade pemberton to the Cold Steel Espada...
There are multiple definitions, from a "large folding knife" to a "small folding pocket knife" with no mention of how many blades, etc. A "compact, folding knife" is one, as is Merriam Webster's "a large strong pocketknife".

So, yes.... ALL of our knives are jackknives, unless they happen to be a fixed blade....
Just messin.;):rolleyes:

Purely in the interest of keeping this discussion going... the question asked was, what knife was this "styled after"....
To me, the "style" is more of design, blade shape, number of blades, etc. We could say the two blade barlow was styled after the good old jack knife... except it really wasn't. They don't even look the same. We could say the #06 Pemberton was styled after the #97, since they are both coke bottle type knives, even being greatly different in size.
While I understand (and mostly agree with) your statement about there being more to comparison than size and blade, I disagree with that assessment for this particular discussion. With the exception of the bolster, the two knives look very similar in size, overall shape, and blade configuration.
I definitely would not suggest GEC used the sodbuster as an inspiration for the Mustang, but they are very similar in appearance.

It’s an Opinel 8... with a nicer handle

I feel like it’s a reasonable number, sure! I’ve always Do I wish it was 1101, with one of those sweet iron wood variations coming my way? Absolutely. :D
Good because 1100 is the number on this run. Sorry can't help with the IW though.

I think a few negative reviews on BF would be more accurate. The walk and talk on mine is beautiful.

Same as on all of mine, and I have nearly the entire run of both production models and SFOs. Beautiful knives.

Stag looks great on this frame.

A5TnntW.jpg

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't like stag on such a big frame without a shield. I love the stag on my 62 and 33, and think it looks good on smaller frames, but to me a shield just adds more. I know the history behind Bill not wanting to do shields on stag anymore, but if they could cut the run down and add a shield, I'd be in completely. Of course cutting run totals right now is probably its own unpopular opinion lol.

I agree the Stag does look real good on the 74 Mustang, I might try and get one this time around, I haven't had much luck getting a nice folder with Stag so if I miss I won't be disappointed, good luck to all and can't wait to see some pics

Well true, but I've seen a lot of people regard Jack knives as 2 blades same end and this helps distinguish it from single blades or double ended knives one or two springs. I find it helpful anyway ;)

Back