2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

PaeMKTj.jpg

I was carrying these today . A couple of days ago I use the back of an old leather belt and buffed up the Bolsters a little and this morning I took about 20 minutes and waxed the Ironwood with some Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax . Much smoother and a little more gloss .
I am liking it much better now . I always liked the Grain , but now seems finished a little better . Also a better picture of the Stag .

Harry

I was carrying these today . A couple of days ago I use the back of an old leather belt and buffed up the Bolsters a little and this morning I took about 20 minutes and waxed the Ironwood with some Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax . Much smoother and a little more gloss .
I am liking it much better now . I always liked the Grain , but now seems finished a little better . Also a better picture of the Stag .

Harry

Both of those are absolutely stunning! Wow!

Harry
Like your work, great job. It is amazing what you can achieve with a bit of thought and time[elbow grease ].:thumbsup: I have never heard of the leather belt trick, how did you come about doing it this way. I am going to try it, is there any tricks i should know.:)

Harry
What did you use to buff with the wax? Dremel and wheel or just by hand? I’m wanting to do something like this to mine but on the fence about what kind of wax and method is best.

Harry
Looks great Harry!

Harry

Looks great, Harry! :thumbsup::cool: A very similar project is on deck here...just waiting for the new knife acquisition barrage to quiet down a bit. :eek::D

Like your work, great job. It is amazing what you can achieve with a bit of thought and time[elbow grease ].:thumbsup: I have never heard of the leather belt trick, how did you come about doing it this way. I am going to try it, is there any tricks i should know.:)
SnackPack SnackPack : Thank for the kind words my friends .
A Leather Belt is a good Strop and it is softer than metal so it will not scratch the Bolsters . And I thought I could get a quicker job done by using the back side of the belt .I also use pine boards to clean up blades on old knives . I held it by hand and applied pressure and rubbed like heck on the belt . As for the Waxing : The wax that I used is more like a Jell instead of a paste and is easy to apply . I applied the jell wax with a soft rag , used a Paper Towel to hand buff off and then repeated the steps for a total of 2 coats of wax . I assumed that if the Wax was good enough for my Gunstocks , it was good enough for my knives . I have not had previous experience with it , so I do not know how long it will last . The small bottle that I have will probably do another 40 knives .

Harry

Harry
BOTH of those are way, way nice... the grain in the ironwood is above average, and the stag is really nice... just "groovy" enough... happy for ya'.....

What did you use to buff with the wax? Dremel and wheel or just by hand? I’m wanting to do something like this to mine but on the fence about what kind of wax and method is best.

I use my Wife's furniture polish.....I.e. Liquid Gold........Works good.......

Harry
Yep! Looks better Harry! :thumbsup: That stag ain’t so bad either buddy! ;) :D

CC9A917B-0F7B-425E-AEDA-B15557623AAA.jpeg
The last of the 74s. AAPK antique autumn natural bone. A real beauty. I was tempted by this handle material with the 23 trapper, but passed since I found the 23 a bit cumbersome in size and pull. So happy to see it on the 74 pattern, which I prefer overall.

Back