1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Sep 15, 2020.

1. RBB2

RBB2

Jan 20, 2020
    DragLine6 likes this.
  2. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
  3. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    @SteveC did you polish that ironwood 74? What did you do? Looks great.

4. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I was carrying these today . A couple of days ago I use the back of an old leather belt and buffed up the Bolsters a little and this morning I took about 20 minutes and waxed the Ironwood with some Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax . Much smoother and a little more gloss .
    I am liking it much better now . I always liked the Grain , but now seems finished a little better . Also a better picture of the Stag .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry

Sharp & Fiery, Quiet, TOM K. and 25 others like this.
  5. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Both of those are absolutely stunning! Wow!

6. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Thanks and yes I did. I sanded it with 1000 and then 2000 grit and then buffed it on a wheel then oiled and waxed it.

7. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Deleted

8. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you very much my friend .

Harry

9. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Like your work, great job. It is amazing what you can achieve with a bit of thought and time[elbow grease ].:thumbsup: I have never heard of the leather belt trick, how did you come about doing it this way. I am going to try it, is there any tricks i should know.:)

Old Engineer likes this.
  10. SnackPack

SnackPack Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2019
    What did you use to buff with the wax? Dremel and wheel or just by hand? I’m wanting to do something like this to mine but on the fence about what kind of wax and method is best.

Old Engineer likes this.
  11. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Looks great Harry!

Pt-Luso and Old Engineer like this.
  12. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Looks great, Harry! :thumbsup::cool: A very similar project is on deck here...just waiting for the new knife acquisition barrage to quiet down a bit. :eek::D

Old Engineer likes this.
  13. Old Engineer

Nov 30, 2014
    @SnackPack : Thank for the kind words my friends .
    A Leather Belt is a good Strop and it is softer than metal so it will not scratch the Bolsters . And I thought I could get a quicker job done by using the back side of the belt .I also use pine boards to clean up blades on old knives . I held it by hand and applied pressure and rubbed like heck on the belt . As for the Waxing : The wax that I used is more like a Jell instead of a paste and is easy to apply . I applied the jell wax with a soft rag , used a Paper Towel to hand buff off and then repeated the steps for a total of 2 coats of wax . I assumed that if the Wax was good enough for my Gunstocks , it was good enough for my knives . I have not had previous experience with it , so I do not know how long it will last . The small bottle that I have will probably do another 40 knives .

Harry

14. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    BOTH of those are way, way nice... the grain in the ironwood is above average, and the stag is really nice... just "groovy" enough... happy for ya'.....

Quiet and Old Engineer like this.
  15. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I use my Wife's furniture polish.....I.e. Liquid Gold........Works good.......

Old Engineer likes this.
  16. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    The wife is losing her mind, I blame Coronavirus for early Christmas decorating :mad::eek:
    [​IMG]

17. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Yep! Looks better Harry! :thumbsup: That stag ain’t so bad either buddy! ;) :D

Old Engineer likes this.
  18. redoxmusic

redoxmusic Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Pretty pleased with the stag on this run. Really suits the 74 pattern in general, I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    You are on the right track, any furniture polish, floor polish or wax will work, and it does not hurt to experiment.:thumbsup:

20. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    CC9A917B-0F7B-425E-AEDA-B15557623AAA.jpeg
    The last of the 74s. AAPK antique autumn natural bone. A real beauty. I was tempted by this handle material with the 23 trapper, but passed since I found the 23 a bit cumbersome in size and pull. So happy to see it on the 74 pattern, which I prefer overall.