2021 #85 Crown Lifter

There is a few different ways to lighten the pull but if you go to half stop and put an Allen wrench under the backspring
View attachment 1522017 here is another picture i borrowed
View attachment 1522118

and open the blade against the Allen it will bend the spring and lighten the pull. Just do it slowly and in small increments.

I love a strong pull because in doing this trick you can always get it lighter but if its a light pull there is not alot you can do to make it stronger

Thanks for posting this. I fixed mine today, cap lifter opens with about a 7 or so instead of a 10 that required me to use my keys.

the only negative to note is a small dent in the bottom of the blade that meets the back spring.

IwPORm9.jpg

l8EG8z4.jpg

VXLRF0G.jpg

0YCsUbG.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I fixed mine today, cap lifter opens with about a 7 or so instead of a 10 that required me to use my keys.

the only negative to note is a small dent in the bottom of the blade that meets the back spring.

IwPORm9.jpg

l8EG8z4.jpg

VXLRF0G.jpg

0YCsUbG.jpg

That sucks man. I was eventually able to get mine to open easily by flushing it out and then "stretching" the spring and working the caplifter open and closed (not fully) for about 5 days.

IwPORm9.jpg

l8EG8z4.jpg

VXLRF0G.jpg

0YCsUbG.jpg
I'm assuming you wanted to lighten it up because you plan on using it if you use a square screwdriver or Allen shape it doesn't indent but a round bar can put more force in a single spot. If you have to do it again on another knife. My gramps had arthritis really bad but loved a gec 25 that I had. So as a gift i decided to put an eo notch and lighten the spring before i gave it to him. I came here and learned how to do it from members here. If you plan on using it that is the first of a few. If the dent bothers you pm me I have a dead skunk like new I would trade you but I know its not as handsome as the micarta. I mean it as a sincere offer not as a solicitation.

I'm assuming you wanted to lighten it up because you plan on using it if you use a square screwdriver or Allen shape it doesn't indent but a round bar can put more force in a single spot. If you have to do it again on another knife. My gramps had arthritis really bad but loved a gec 25 that I had. So as a gift i decided to put an eo notch and lighten the spring before i gave it to him. I came here and learned how to do it from members here. If you plan on using it that is the first of a few. If the dent bothers you pm me I have a dead skunk like new I would trade you but I know its not as handsome as the micarta. I mean it as a sincere offer not as a solicitation.

I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver and it worked but did dent the blade. Really though it is not very noticeable in real life. Thanks for the offer but I like the micarta too much and it’s now going to be one that I pocket since it isn’t perfect. I’ve never had a blade pull so strong that I couldn’t open it. Usually oil and working the blade back and forth, then resting it in the 1/4 position works. I’d LOVE if this had a stylish little notch like my radio Jack.

Last edited:
I ended up using a small flat head screwdriver and it worked but did dent the blade. Really though it is not very noticeable in real life. Thanks for the offer but I like the micarta too much and it’s now going to be one that I pocket since it isn’t perfect. I’ve never had a blade pull so strong that I couldn’t open it. Usually oil and working the blade back and forth, then resting it in the 1/4 position works. I’d LOVE if this had a stylish little notch like my radio Jack.

I agree you could add that notch very easily with a Dremel and a sanding drum thats how I added the big eo notches. I do think that radio jack notch is a classy touch I have one and never noticed until you mentioned it. I do like the EO notches and may add one to mine. If I added the big EO on the main would it be too much to add the subtle EO on the lifter like the RJ?

I agree you could add that notch very easily with a Dremel and a sanding drum thats how I added the big eo notches. I do think that radio jack notch is a classy touch I have one and never noticed until you mentioned it. I do like the EO notches and may add one to mine. If I added the big EO on the main would it be too much to add the subtle EO on the lifter like the RJ?

that’s one of those things I bet you have to see to have a good opinion on it. I almost thing two notches may be too much... but it may look great.

Reading through the posts, I was a little concerned the pull would be a little too stiff (I prefer about a 6 or so), but I have zero complaints. The pull is about as perfect as can be and is very snappy. I love it. Fit and finish is excellent.

SCc9kuw.jpg

1gLZ4NT.jpg

Xxpadfw.jpg

UvCUp1Q.jpg

Reading through the posts, I was a little concerned the pull would be a little too stiff (I prefer about a 6 or so), but I have zero complaints. The pull is about as perfect as can be and is very snappy. I love it. Fit and finish is excellent.

SCc9kuw.jpg

1gLZ4NT.jpg

Xxpadfw.jpg

UvCUp1Q.jpg

what a superb example!!

I don't own one, I've seen some nice examples of the Cherry Bone and don't understand why so many are being sold and they are not just being flipped there must be a reason

I don't own one, I've seen some nice examples of the Cherry Bone and don't understand why so many are being sold and they are not just being flipped there must be a reason
Hey Frank, I can maybe venture a guess, but can really only speak for myself. I was very lucky and landed two of these from different drops (good timing and a lot of page refreshes!). I did this specifically with the bone version because I knew there may be a (wide) range of color and textural variation with the natural bone, and I wanted to be able to compare and select for myself. I would have gladly kept either, but having a choice was nice and allowed me to see just a little of what was probably a very varied run. I imagine this kind of handle is a little more personal than a standard jig or uniform color, and can understand if someone doesn’t connect where someone else might. Just my 0.02.

Back