2021 #85 Crown Lifter

Hey Frank, I can maybe venture a guess, but can really only speak for myself. I was very lucky and landed two of these from different drops (good timing and a lot of page refreshes!). I did this specifically with the bone version because I knew there may be a (wide) range of color and textural variation with the natural bone, and I wanted to be able to compare and select for myself. I would have gladly kept either, but having a choice was nice and allowed me to see just a little of what was probably a very varied run. I imagine this kind of handle is a little more personal than a standard jig or uniform color, and can understand if someone doesn’t connect where someone else might. Just my 0.02.
I was lucky enough to score two of each handles. I didn’t put them up for sale on the traditional’s for sale sub forum. I traded one to a long time porch member and the other two I sold to porch regulars who were unable to purchase one on any of the drops. I sold to them for my cost plus shipping and PP fees which was at least $50-60 less than ones I’ve seen up for sale here. IMHO, I figure the more we can share the joy of this hobby/addiction with each other the better. :)

As my list of "Do Not Deal With" seemingly grows by the day, I was very pleasantly surprised when a member here reached out to me and offered up his Cherry 85 at cost. In today's climate, this sort of action is either becoming rather rare or it is simply not being celebrated enough.

So I would like to celebrate rcs86 rcs86 . He didn't have to reach out to me and instead could have turned around and sold his knife for a tidy profit. I am happy that he chose the former, rather than the latter, and that he had no interest in making a buck off of me. Thank you, Ross, for thinking of me and making this fine knife available to me - your action deserves to be celebrated, as do similar actions across the forum.

Regarding the knife itself, I am very pleased with it. The added girth from the secondary and the lack of EO notch put this knife in a far more comfortable place for my tastes. The color of the bone meets my expectations for this run and is of a color and composition that I have come to expect from the "Natural" bone - I think it suits the knife and lends a lot of character despite my favoring of richer, more uniform tones.

Fit and finish is back to the standard that I expect from GEC and this pleases me more than anything. Excellent all around with terrific action, fantastic pulls, and wonderful snap. A guy could get used to this kind of quality.

tAk1EMY.jpg

As my list of "Do Not Deal With" seemingly grows by the day, I was very pleasantly surprised when a member here reached out to me and offered up his Cherry 85 at cost. In today's climate, this sort of action is either becoming rather rare or it is simply not being celebrated enough.

So I would like to celebrate rcs86 rcs86 . He didn't have to reach out to me and instead could have turned around and sold his knife for a tidy profit. I am happy that he chose the former, rather than the latter, and that he had no interest in making a buck off of me. Thank you, Ross, for thinking of me and making this fine knife available to me - your action deserves to be celebrated, as do similar actions across the forum.

Regarding the knife itself, I am very pleased with it. The added girth from the secondary and the lack of EO notch put this knife in a far more comfortable place for my tastes. The color of the bone meets my expectations for this run and is of a color and composition that I have come to expect from the "Natural" bone - I think it suits the knife and lends a lot of character despite my favoring of richer, more uniform tones.

Fit and finish is back to the standard that I expect from GEC and this pleases me more than anything. Excellent all around with terrific action, fantastic pulls, and wonderful snap. A guy could get used to this kind of quality.

tAk1EMY.jpg

Wow Dylan, those are very kind words! Thank you very much. That's what the porch is about, or at least it should be. I'm glad you were able to get the knife and will enjoy it. As usual, that's a great pic!

The Porch is indeed an awesome place. I had posted in the WTB section of the exchange that I would like a micarta 85. I had two members reach out, one offered a dead skunk then almost at the same time another offered a micarta, both offers at retail price. I'm not saying who just yet as they're holding it for me until next week. On top of agreeing to sell me one at cost he's graciously holding it until my stimulus comes in. rcs86 rcs86 is indeed in good company with the straight up and honest membership that seems so prevalent here.

And yes I did pass on a dead skunk in favor of the micarta lol. I already know this will be a favorite user for me, so I wanted the more utilitarian cover option.

What is "The Porch" you fellas speak of?? Some of you may recognize me from the spyderco.com forums, LT Wright's Pout House, or the CPK subforum here. I have always been intrigued by GEC, but this is now the second time a model I am interested in has been brought to my attention once they are already sold out (first being the Oil Field Jack in Micarta). :( If any kind member could point me to this Porch I will post up there and hope for the best in grabbing one of these at cost from someone who had a change of heart. I have always helped others in the the forums I mentioned get hard to find knives at retail as well (notably the Z-wear Shaman for a handful of folks at cost), so this Porch sounds like a great place.

Thank you all in advance!

What is "The Porch" you fellas speak of?? Some of you may recognize me from the spyderco.com forums, LT Wright's Pout House, or the CPK subforum here. I have always been intrigued by GEC, but this is now the second time a model I am interested in has been brought to my attention once they are already sold out (first being the Oil Field Jack in Micarta). :( If any kind member could point me to this Porch I will post up there and hope for the best in grabbing one of these at cost from someone who had a change of heart. I have always helped others in the the forums I mentioned get hard to find knives at retail as well (notably the Z-wear Shaman for a handful of folks at cost), so this Porch sounds like a great place.

Thank you all in advance!

The traditional sub forum is known as “the porch”, so you are at it. Stick around and you will make some good friends and learn from some very knowledgeable folks.

I recognize you from the Spyderco forums (I’m “Freediver”) and know you are a stand up guy and will fit in well here.

Keep an eye on the exchange section (some people still post honest, non flipper prices) but they go fast. Also post what you are looking for in the WTB section and something may come along. Good luck.

Loving the bone version I managed to score! Quick question for the group — has anyone noticed that the caplifters aren’t quite as effective as the last run of 15s? I feel like mine doesn’t quite “grab” the cap as well as others I’ve had. I think this will be a quick fix with a dremel, I’m just not sure I want to go that way yet!

Loving the bone version I managed to score! Quick question for the group — has anyone noticed that the caplifters aren’t quite as effective as the last run of 15s? I feel like mine doesn’t quite “grab” the cap as well as others I’ve had. I think this will be a quick fix with a dremel, I’m just not sure I want to go that way yet!
Do you find that it looses it's effectiveness as the night goes on? Or is it the same through out?;)

The lifter on mine grabs real nice, even better than my beer scout which works just fine. I’ve been using this knife a lot, just yesterday cut down the cardboard from our new dining set. I as going to go grab my Manix2 but thought I’d try first with the 85. Was working so well I just kept going.

My gec caplifters have varied in that regard. I’ve had some that pop the caps off almost as soon as you touch them, and others that always needed a second go. My cherry 85 seems to be in the second group too. I’m not supposed to drink beer anyway but I wish I were clever enough to file them down some place and enhance the caplifter’s grip when needed.
F7E2892E-1F80-4866-B8D0-54DABE491169.jpeg

Just received my Crow Lifter from on of the GEC dealers. It took ages to get here as it ended up in a postal limbo at an USPS center in Chicago... It's fun knife to fiddle around with and I can't wait to put it to some use. Feels lively in the hand and rests well in a pocket.
Quick question for those with a Dead Skunk - how is the overall finish of the scales? Both observer and reverse side on mine are silky smooth but on the back and belly (I.E the small millimetre next to the liners) the scales feels different, unpolished and gritty and make a slight scratching sound when I run a nail over them.
foyZlKZ5_o.jpg

A special thanks to my daughter for leaving her toys all over and boost my artistic inspiration.

Last edited:
Back