• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2021 BF Forum knife vs. Facebook & Flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a screenshot of Matt posting "Easy ebay grab." in the GEC Collectors Club page. I'm not sure where the accusation is there.

This is super disingenuous. Look at the subject of the thread. Are you going to act like you weren’t making an accusation/insinuation? Because your comment to Darren suggests otherwise. Besides, Brian... using his real name isn’t a crime. It’s kinda admirable compared to screen grabbing a dude and flaming him in the feedback forum. Anywho feel free to keep responding. Seems productive. No one had a thing to say to you before you posted Matt’s name over here rather than asking what he meant by the comment.

flippers dont need ebay anymore (with all the ebay- fees and taxes on both sides, buyer and seller), they opened their own FB groups solely for knife exchange/ selling, waffles and live auctions.
not long ago, buying cheap in FB groups and here in the BladeForums exchange section and selling these knives later in auctions/ waffels in the FB knife exchange group or on ebay was the way they usualy made their profit.
buying cheap in FB groups or here on BF and selling with a high profit is no longer possible (with some exceptions) because of the increasing prices, but these flippers still got the chance to buy new drops at dealer prices and sell them with high profit in waffles, live auctions on FB and on ebay.

that is what happened the last few years, its not the exception, that is the new normality.

its a jungle out there :)
What’s waffles? I’m not a Facebook participant

Yeah but like most these threads, they start out in the forum and get moved. Why does it matter where it is? Everyone posting in here is a part of that sub forum.

I still dont even see how you got to your conclusion about Matt from what you posted. It also shows his character to have people pass this link around to say F this guy who doesnt know what the hell he is talking about! I felt compelled to stand up for my friend when someone who thinks he knows something trys to spread a rumor of which he knows nothing about.

I have seen Matt gift a lot of knives to people. I have had him ask me to help him track down a specific knife for fellow friends. FB and messaging helps us all actually become friends and get to know eachother. We talk on the phone, trade and gift knives. So yeah, we are gonna come together and set people straight, that's what people do when someone with honor is being ousted in a wrong light. Ya know, real man shit, brotherhood!

You made it public so you get talked to in public. Next time try manning up and talking directly to a person before you accuse them of something. You might actually make a friend instead of being talked down to.

I'll concede that I should have tagged Matt in the post as well as posting the screenshot since he's kind of a member here. He should have had the chance to explain his meaning... Although it was brought to his attention within minutes, so the point is kind of moot. Other than that, I regret nothing.

"Raffles" aren't allowed by the user agreements of many major social media platforms, paypal and other payment services, and some jurisdictions consider them online gambling, so people get around it by calling them "Waffles". It's very common to see regularly available production knives being "waffled" for multiple times their price because people can't do the simple math of (#of spots in the raffle)*(cost per spot).

I'll concede that I should have tagged Matt in the post as well as posting the screenshot since he's kind of a member here. He should have had the chance to explain his meaning... Although it was brought to his attention within minutes, so the point is kind of moot. Other than that, I regret nothing.

Or just replied on FB asking what he meant. That was an option without playing name and shame.
Instead you made a bunch of people mad and got yourself kicked.

"Raffles" aren't allowed by the user agreements of many major social media platforms, paypal and other payment services, and some jurisdictions consider them online gambling, so people get around it by calling them "Waffles". It's very common to see regularly available production knives being "waffled" for multiple times their price because people can't do the simple math of (#of spots in the raffle)*(cost per spot).
Thanks! upload_2021-4-8_22-18-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-8_22-18-27.png
    upload_2021-4-8_22-18-27.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 2
  • upload_2021-4-8_22-18-29.png
    upload_2021-4-8_22-18-29.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 4

I couldn't have explained it better, thnx

Curmudgeonly grumbling about the forum knife is a Porch tradition!

And that's why some folks are pushing back when it looks like the forum knife might be bought and sold like other knives in high demand. We depend on volunteers to do the planning, organizing, shipping, etc. so it's unseemly to see someone else dive in to profit when the folks doing the work are not allowed (by Spark's rules) to profit.

I agree. As long as we regular forum participants don't get shut out from buying (which I don't believe will happen) I'm not going to stress too much about it. The mods have a "no-knife-for-you!" list that may grow by a few names every year, and the system seems to work, for the most part. I'm thinking, though... it looks like we're getting a Barlow without a bolster stamp; it would be neat if each one were engraved with the member's forum name. :p

i am completely with you!

at the end its all about supply and demand, in our case its how many forums knives 2021 will be produced and how many members want one or two of these knives.
if the demand is above the supply you have to find a solution, restrictions,...
you could do an adjustment by determine that 1 person gets only 1 knife, the result is more people get a knife.
or you could find a system of qualification to privilege deserving members by raising the years of membership or raising the quantity of posts they have done in a specific period, or a combination of both.

but as ive said earlier, our forums admins are experienced enough to find the right way.

to bring a little sun in our discussion... look at these bolsters :)#861121 Bf Knife 2021-2.jpg Bolster #77 Jack.jpg Bolster #77 Jack x2.jpg

Thank you for the explanation.

So, as I understand it, a way to skirt the rules. I'd bet they pay for these "waffles" using PP F&F. :rolleyes:

Considering how few regular posters there are in Traditionals, it's strange to think that an order of 500 knives might not be enough to satisfy the demand for the annual Traditional sub-forum knife :confused:

I don't have much seniority (stripes on the sleeve) around here but I just wanted to say this. Anyone that has a need or desire to make 100 dollars plus profit off a BF knife needs that knife more then I do! They can have mine! Trust me I'd love to add one to the collection! Once a knife is in my hands I can't let it go. I'm just that kind of collector. For the individuals just simply trying to flip knives to make in my mind a small amount of cash then well they must need the money more than I'll ever need the knife!

Everyone just be nice to each other and trust that those involved with bringing us this 2021 BF knife will make the best choices and decisions for the membership.

Whether we’re getting our fix via BF, FB, Instagram, Twitter or knife shows, most of us are sisters and brothers in a shared compulsive disease.

Let’s play nice and let this develop as it will.

I was a little confused (long work day so i was already had confusion going on) last night when i saw a bunch of old gec threads on the first couple pages. This morning i saw jack blacks post about all these people trying to inflate their posts, burying on-going threads. Pretty distasteful of these people.

That being said, this is the 2021 bf knife. Not 2020, not 2019, and definitely not 2007 bf knife. The member should only need to be active for 2021. But they should have been an active member within the first few months of the year. If someone wants to start posting now and continue throughout the year, arguably they may have done enough to warrant a knife.

(Too bad the forum doesnt keep track of the “likes” you pass out. That should count as active and contributing to a topic)

Thank you for the explanation.

So, as I understand it, a way to skirt the rules. I'd bet they pay for these "waffles" using PP F&F. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, and they usually have something in the post about not mentioning a raffle because paypal will automatically suspend their accounts. Not so surprisingly, it's always the same people who "win" the raffles too. It usually just seems like a scam, the person having the raffle can pass the knife on to their buddy, while convincing 20 other people to pay twice the msrp in the hopes of winning. Overall it's just very scummy. Any time I see something like that, I just leave the group it's in. Consequently, I'm not in many facebook groups related to knives any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back