• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2021 BF Forum knife vs. Facebook & Flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely, and they usually have something in the post about not mentioning a raffle because paypal will automatically suspend their accounts. Not so surprisingly, it's always the same people who "win" the raffles too. It usually just seems like a scam, the person having the raffle can pass the knife on to their buddy, while convincing 20 other people to pay twice the msrp in the hopes of winning. Overall it's just very scummy. Any time I see something like that, I just leave the group it's in. Consequently, I'm not in many facebook groups related to knives any more.
I wonder what the overlap is on the posts I've been seeing: "Paypal has banned sale of knives! They froze my account!" Couldn't be for any other reasons...:rolleyes:

I wonder what the overlap is on the posts I've been seeing: "Paypal has banned sale of knives! They froze my account!" Couldn't be for any other reasons...:rolleyes:

I'm guessing the overlap is near 100%. Typically seems to affect the people who blame all their issues on everything but themselves. They want max profits, but don't think the user agreements of various services apply to them.

What a dumpster fire.

I wonder what the correlation is of guys in the trad forum that think they are “rugged individualists” and are all free market, no govt involvement ever types, but lose there dang minds when they think someone might get a pocket knife they don’t deem worthy of meeting their arbitrary criteria. All the rules that come out then... lol, all of a sudden everyone is a forensic accountant.

This is why we can’t have nice things never rings so true as in the fallout to a GEC forum knife drop.

What a dumpster fire.

I wonder what the correlation is of guys in the trad forum that think they are “rugged individualists” and are all free market, no govt involvement ever types, but lose there dang minds when they think someone might get a pocket knife they don’t deem worthy of meeting their arbitrary criteria. All the rules that come out then... lol, all of a sudden everyone is a forensic accountant.

This is why we can’t have nice things never rings so true as in the fallout to a GEC forum knife drop.
Huh? o_O:rolleyes:

I always look forward to the forum knife. I've never been in a position to buy one.

But the process always seems enjoyable.
I always enjoy the process!

On a side note. I very recently acquired your old Oeser in your avatar. Figured you would like to know it's in good hands. I remember when you got it, I drooled for days and use to save ever pic you posted of it. This was my favorite but I lost the shot with all the blood :)

4pyLLUh.jpg

And with my og Oeser. The westie has aged into some chedda :)

6DIxNca.jpg

I always enjoy the process!

On a side note. I very recently acquired your old Oeser in your avatar. Figured you would like to know it's in good hands. I remember when you got it, I drooled for days and use to save ever pic you posted of it. This was my favorite but I lost the shot with all the blood :)

4pyLLUh.jpg

And with my og Oeser. The westie has aged into some chedda :)

6DIxNca.jpg
A couple of knives right there.

You highlight the exact problem that’s occurring. This isn’t a GEC forum knife.

It’s the BladeForums Traditional Forum Knife. When these knives get announced lately, people from all over the internet who have no presence in the forum at all start shitting all over the place, it takes away from the experience. Your flippant example of traditional forum members is no different.

You highlight the exact problem that’s occurring. This isn’t a GEC forum knife.

It’s the BladeForums Traditional Forum Knife. When these knives get announced lately, people from all over the internet who have no presence in the forum at all start shitting all over the place, it takes away from the experience. Your flippant example of traditional forum members is no different.

Oh, what's this?
Another arbitrary rule maker, virtual signaler, parsing my words to meet some need for pearl clutching?
Thanks for proving my point, guy who as been a member here half as long as I have.
Like I said, some of you pot stirrers sure want to make this into something it isn't and your need for attention is showing.

Oh, what's this?
Another arbitrary rule maker, virtual signaler, parsing my words to meet some need for pearl clutching?
Thanks for proving my point, guy who as been a member here half as long as I have.
Like I said, some of you pot stirrers sure want to make this into something it isn't and your need for attention is showing.

Im not making any rules. You seem to be projecting quite a bit and I never proved your point and yes I’ve been here half as long, but have contributed much more if you’re gonna look at simple numbers like that.

The point of my reply to your post was that when the Traditional Forum knife comes up, there’s an increasing number of people wanting to jump in and that number soars when it’s a GEC. Not because of the pattern, but because of the hype for GEC and it has nothing to do with the spirit of the traditional forum knife, which was to create something special for the group.

Simple discussion is not a need for attention.

What a dumpster fire.

The moderators will set the rules, as they do every year. No one has called for government intervention. :rolleyes:

I think we can all agree they we are a passionate group of folks when it comes to our knives, and that this year’s knife is going to be one of, if not the, best.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/some-acrylic-beauties-and-one-jigged-bone.1784987/

Five GECs on a Sunday night from a first time seller with no pics all gone in 7 minutes.

Last few saying they'll take it without even know what's left.
The most noteworthy thing about that ad is that the seller didn't mark them up 2-3x what he paid, like most people posting GECs. I suspect that's why people jumped so fast, and without pictures.
For the sake of this thread, though, I'll acknowledge that the "Viper" was not a Viper... The model number he included was that of a 92 series; Viper is a 47.

During 2019 BF/GEC Knife -these were the rules- per below screen shot.

5F200264-5282-4317-AC61-B85EB31C9F5B.jpeg
Can we expect similar rules?

All know it’s a GEC in great demand and there won’t be enough for our regular members, let alone those from other forums.

Will there be new rules, say a membership of minimum 6 months’ needed, with 45-60 posts spread over the past 6 months?? :eek::eek:

That might definitely eliminate these flaming exchanges between members and put to rest this unease felt by some regulars here, imo.
Cheers!!

Last edited:
Im not making any rules. You seem to be projecting quite a bit and I never proved your point and yes I’ve been here half as long, but have contributed much more if you’re gonna look at simple numbers like that.

The point of my reply to your post was that when the Traditional Forum knife comes up, there’s an increasing number of people wanting to jump in and that number soars when it’s a GEC. Not because of the pattern, but because of the hype for GEC and it has nothing to do with the spirit of the traditional forum knife, which was to create something special for the group.

Simple discussion is not a need for attention.

Again, you are twisting yourself into a pretzel to make this about some imagined moral failure in people buying a pocket knife and that, my friend, is the real projection.

GEC is the benchmark right now. How could one not expect that to draw everyone's curiosity, trad enthusiasts included?
I did not purchase last years forum knife because I don't really consider and Italian modern slip joint to fall into the confines of what I consider a traditional American folder.
I can tell you that I saw dozens and dozens of those sold on Facebook alone. Funny how it seems there was no real issue with that.

Wanting a witch hunt on imagined flippers is a toxic argument that comes up every year and has been beaten into the Earth.
How about just leave it to the people in charge and worry about ourselves?

No one has called for government intervention. :rolleyes:
Lol, no just BF members advocating wanting to spy within FB groups for some kind of weird white knight project.
I mean, come on, we see how juvenile this is, right? Right?

I did not purchase last years forum knife because I don't really consider and Italian modern slip joint to fall into the confines of what I consider a traditional American folder.

I think this highlights the difference in how one might view the Forum knife (and its process) versus another. Personally, I would buy the forum knife regardless of who produces it, whether or not I even liked the pattern. Why? Because it isn't just some knife to acquire - it is reflective of a process that brings a lot of us together to discuss and decide on what knife we'd like to represent our community with. It's not about the knife for me, it's about the process and our community.

If folks from Facebook, Instagram, or wherever want to come and join our community, I have no issue with this. If they are doing it simply to get their hands on a knife and then ghost, well... there is the rub. Some folks here have no issue with that - I do. It means we are getting taken advantage of and sorry, but that feels gross. If a separate group, community, or others were to organize a desirable knife, I would certainly not be joining up for the soul purpose of getting my hands on their knife.

Perhaps it is just a matter of principle. In the end, it is simply a knife so one's mileage will most certainly vary.

I can tell you that I saw dozens and dozens of those sold on Facebook alone. Funny how it seems there was no real issue with that.

How many of those did you see sell for an absurd markup? I guarantee it will differ considerably now that a GEC knife is being proposed - the 2019 knife demonstrates this quite effectively.

Wanting a witch hunt on imagined flippers is a toxic argument that comes up every year and has been beaten into the Earth.

Honestly, I can't disagree with this. There are many folks, even respected members here, who have no issue with what we deem as flipping. It is a problem as old as the act of collecting is. That said, it is starting to have a very negative impact on our enjoyment of a hobby and that is why we share these concerns and highlight them for discussion.

How about just leave it to the people in charge and worry about ourselves?

Again, I agree. Ultimately, with regards to this years knife choice, the mods will develop the criteria that needs to be met. Knowing this tends to assuage my overall concerns.

It means we are getting taken advantage of and sorry, but that feels gross.

My only real disagreement with your post, and my last word on all of this, is the perception that anyone is being taken advantage of.
If anyone can find me an instance of actual harm here, I'm all ears.
I expect that if GEC thought it was an issue they wouldn't take part and they could ask much more for their product if they wanted to make a barrier to participation.

If the BF forum knife requires a minimum posts and/or join date, then those criteria are set.
If the porch thinks that there needs to be a higher bar, then by all means, set it higher.
Other than that, everyone is playing by the rules that have been set, as far as I know.

The idea that anyone can or should be dissuaded from selling their own property at a later date to whoever they like, whenever they like, is rather, well-- untraditional IMO.

If the BF forum knife requires a minimum posts and/or join date, then those criteria are set.
If the porch thinks that there needs to be a higher bar, then by all means, set it higher.

"You can't fix the player, but you can fix the rules. Then you can rule the player." : Stone Cold Steve Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back