• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2021 BF Forum knife vs. Facebook & Flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only real disagreement with your post, and my last word on all of this, is the perception that anyone is being taken advantage of.
If anyone can find me an instance of actual harm here, I'm all ears.
I expect that if GEC thought it was an issue they wouldn't take part and they could ask much more for their product if they wanted to make a barrier to participation.

If the BF forum knife requires a minimum posts and/or join date, then those criteria are set.
If the porch thinks that there needs to be a higher bar, then by all means, set it higher.
Other than that, everyone is playing by the rules that have been set, as far as I know.

The idea that anyone can or should be dissuaded from selling their own property at a later date to whoever they like, whenever they like, is rather, well-- untraditional IMO.

The people being taken advantage of are the volunteers who are taking on the project for NO compensation because of their fondness for this community.

My only real disagreement with your post, and my last word on all of this, is the perception that anyone is being taken advantage of.
If anyone can find me an instance of actual harm here, I'm all ears.
I expect that if GEC thought it was an issue they wouldn't take part and they could ask much more for their product if they wanted to make a barrier to participation.

If the BF forum knife requires a minimum posts and/or join date, then those criteria are set.
If the porch thinks that there needs to be a higher bar, then by all means, set it higher.
Other than that, everyone is playing by the rules that have been set, as far as I know.

The idea that anyone can or should be dissuaded from selling their own property at a later date to whoever they like, whenever they like, is rather, well-- untraditional IMO.

I am happy to agree to disagree on this. Ultimately, it comes down to one's principles. If I put in the time, work, and effort to assist a community in acquiring a special club knife, only to see a certain percentage of them promptly being moved elsewhere for significant markups - yes, I'd feel rather taken advantage of. Overall, I just feel it's scummy. I understand that there are flights of fancy, flavor-of-the-day, and have-to-have-it-now sentiments, especially when heavily influenced by social media. I also understand that for many folks, the flavor-of-the-day is highly expendable - it is the flavor-of-the-day, after all. I think it's customary these days to sell yesterday's flavor to fund today's flavor - wash, rinse, repeat.

I do not think like that nor do I understand such motivations - especially when it comes to our club knife. And that, perhaps, is where we do not see eye-to-eye.

And yes, once someone owns property, it is theirs to do with as they wish - doesn't mean that some of us won't find it in poor taste.

The people being taken advantage of are the volunteers who are taking on the project for NO compensation because of their fondness for this community.
It’s like you all don’t even hear yourselves.

And how, exactly, are they being taken advantage of? When you volunteer to do something because you truly love the community and just want to help, —once the helping is done, they don’t typically stick around to see if how they have helped lives up to their own specific code, right? They just wanted to help make whatever it is happen.

That accomplished, why the need for policing—by anyone ? Is this really that serious of a subject?

I imagine that folks that stir the pot and make a bunch of noise about how they expect everything to go down or else they’ll be upset, themselves or on behalf of the organizers—and before anything even hardly gets out of the gate—-aren’t exactly doing the organizers any favors, either.

If you think the bar is too low then move it.

And how, exactly, are they being taken advantage of? When you volunteer to do something because you truly love the community and just want to help, —once the helping is done, they don’t typically stick around to see if how they have helped lives up to their own specific code, right? They just wanted to help make whatever it is happen.

That accomplished, why the need for policing—by anyone ? Is this really that serious of a subject?

I imagine that folks that stir the pot and make a bunch of noise about how they expect everything to go down or else they’ll be upset, themselves or on behalf of the organizers—and before anything even hardly gets out of the gate—-aren’t exactly doing the organizers any favors, either.

Since this process has left you with such a foul taste in your mouth...probably time to move on to something else.

It has been determined the bar is set too low.

Going forward any members with user names starting with the following letters will be subject to further scrutiny in the name of bar raising. The letter are A, B, and C. That is all. Thank you for your attention. Also any member who spends the majority of time selling knives in the exchange will also be subject to further scrutiny regardless of what letter their user name starts with.

And how, exactly, are they being taken advantage of? When you volunteer to do something because you truly

You sure do a lot of complaining about how you think people are complaining too much.

Last edited:
The bar can be raised in such a way so as to exclude any/all ‘new’ members, non-posting ‘old’ members, known flippers and those sellers frequenting BF exchange...and so on.

Regarding further scrutiny of usernames starting with letters A, B, C and locked profiles...That’s a good one:thumbsup::D, LOL

The bar can be raised in such a way so as to exclude any/all ‘new’ members, non-posting ‘old’ members, known flippers and those sellers frequenting BF exchange...and so on.

Regarding further scrutiny of usernames starting with letters A, B, C and locked profiles...That’s a good one:thumbsup::D, LOL
Everyone loves rules! But to be fair next year's knife we'll focus on user names starting with X, Y, & C. Just so no one feels picked on.

Got a new wrinkle now I see; thirsty dudes trying to slide into the DMs with Bill Howard to get a piece of this action for their clubs.

Doesn't feel like a very community thing to try and pull.

I'm going to post here instead of in the Traditional Forum knife thread.

This is a pattern with this poster. Seen it dozens of times over the last 8 years (since his name change) on a myriad of different subjects.
Always having to come back explaining himself about how "he's just so enthused"... :poop: (try to get ahold of yourself man)
then so incredulous about "what did I do wrong and why does everyone pick on me."

The whole point is guaranteed to FLY right over his head, each and every time.

Post up names, links, screenshots, whatever you've got. There will be enough members on here to help stamp out the grass-fire before it gets rolling.
Posting people's names (or screenshots with people's names) will put bladeforums itself in a position of liability with regard to digital privacy legislation such as GDPR, etc.

I get that you want to protect the community, but it seems a bit counterproductive to do so by calling for behavior that itself could jeopardize the forum that literally houses said community.

Posting people's names (or screenshots with people's names) will put bladeforums itself in a position of liability with regard to digital privacy legislation such as GDPR, etc.

I get that you want to protect the community, but it seems a bit counterproductive to do so by calling for behavior that itself could jeopardize the forum that literally houses said community.
No it won't sport. Happens all the time.

After reading thru six pages , seems like one of them first world problems. :)
giphy.gif

Nice to see if has re-acquired some patina on the paper micarta!!

I regret selling that one. I did it when I was buying a house right during Christmas (I sold the knife without consulting the wife). I was worried about presents for the boys, hidden/unexpected closing costs (unnecessarily as it turned out).

ADlmgGT.jpg

OnKoAF5.jpg

ODS88Fp.jpg

u0zh6zu.jpg

YAVnWLJ.jpg

It got bloody and dirty. A calf stepped on it in the dirt... no time to clean it up. Just got put back dirty and washed when I got home later that night.

I sold that for $800!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back