#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Is it for sure a crack or might it be a scratch? Cracks usually go with the grain (and the weakest path to the edge).

[GE Jr beat me to it]

To answer your question - that is up to you. But you probably won't get a replacement from a dealer and my guess is the factory would just have the dealer refund you.
I bought a super beautiful GEC#92 Eureka Sambar Stag from CKs. That #92 is my best looking GEC Sambar Stag knife. The natural twine grew a black vein line to the pin. I had my local knife friends look at the knife and every one wanted to pay more than what I paid for it. Mr. Mike sent me the best one and he never cherry picks knives to customers. Which is better for us. The knife was wonderful from the start, I was just being too picky. I believe this ebony wood #35 is scratched , also. "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT KNIFE !" The more you use ebony wood knives , the better they look. I ate cold hot dogs and chili with yellow mustard for breakfast. My Ebony #35 B&S worked out very well and now has natural patina. These knives are too much fun , not to use. I clean , oil , kiss , talk to ,and play with my knives daily. "I am not right , I'm all left !"

Last edited:
Randy Bell (GEC Engineer) posted this on facebook and I thought it might be interesting in this thread.
----------------------------------------
Before the Governor's decreed exile the plan was to make the 35 square tang spear & pen Maher and Grosh knives. There was not a die for the square Tang so we decided to waterjet them out because they were under the build a die cut off point.
Our version was to be round Tang which we had dies for except for a secondary spey. The die was built. The existing dies were for a spear and a secondary sheep foot. Yes indeed ladies and gentleman, a cattle knife. That was the plan and then God stepped in.
During the covid-19 damage shut down I was discussing with some of you online friends about a potential knives. The best brain fart and the one that I was going to push to Bill was the Beer Boat. This was to be a quick and dirty knife to generate cash.
The beer boat consisted of the 16 Little Indian Canoe which would maintain its spear but instead of having a pen blades in the other end it would have the 15 lifter. I still like that idea better than the beer and sausage. When I presented it to Bill he said, "I've been thinking about a cap lifter in the 35.
I don't want it to end with a screwdriver I want it to end with a spatula like a doctor's knife." I thought that would be kind of cool so I ran with it. Before it was done Bill said we could put a wire stripping notch in it also and I did.
Then later he came back and said we need one more tool than that. My proposal was put in a long pull match strike. He replied that's for Northfield.
I rebutted with I don't care if it's for Northfield you said you wanted another tool and that's another tool and it's easy enough to do. He said he would think about it. never in a million years did I dream he would come back with what he did.
When he did come back he said take out the wire stripper and turn that spatula into a fork (a forking fork God fork it). I felt like we were boarding the Crazy Train.
But as you know it only gets better. Bill later came back to me and said I want you to design a comb out of the spring steel we use for the liner locks.
Not only that but I want you to nest them such that when you cut the teeth on one comb you're cutting the teeth on the other comb. I was now living Ozzy Osbourne's nightmare.
"Crazy, but that's how it goes.
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train."
Later when Bill proudly announced I have a name for this comb. I am going to call it a beard refuse removal tool I knew Bill had lost his mind.
I pleaded with him "Bill, I don't like the mental pictures that paints" to no avail. So to wrap things up we were going to have a cattle knife we could have had a cap lifting doctors knife but we got the Beer and Sausage knife.
My intentions were to buy a cattle knife for a user and not a safe Queen. I wanted to replace the queen knife my grandfather had bought me that was lost but this would be a better knife than that one. However that was subverted to, "I'll buy one of these and then when everybody is done bitching and starts screaming for them years from now I'll be sitting pretty."
Alas this does not seem to be the case. Apparently Bill did not lose his mind and is instead a marketing genius. I'm afraid the beer and sausage is here to stay.
------------------------------------

Sorry for the breakup, they were passages on individual photos (just scenic shots of the autumn leaf version).

nuts. Absolute nuttery.

Even if I don’t like it, At least we have an answer.
It’s a comb.
Not a strainer.

Last edited:
I agree. Heck, I bet Bill Howard pays absolutely no attention to BladeForums. Heck, when I talk to my reputable dealer, he is oblivious to what is said on the Forum; only of what is told to him, of course.
I believe that is mostly true. I was conversing with Joan Mae Howard not long after the B&S knife was announced...we were discussing the Wounded Warrior raffle, (I think) and I mentioned the knife, and how it had stirred up some dust on BF... she wasn't aware of it, and asked me what the opinions on it seemed to be. I told her they were running about 50/50, for/against. She didn't seem too worried about it. :D

I believe that is mostly true. I was conversing with Joan Mae Howard not long after the B&S knife was announced...we were discussing the Wounded Warrior raffle, (I think) and I mentioned the knife, and how it had stirred up some dust on BF... she wasn't aware of it, and asked me what the opinions on it seemed to be. I told her they were running about 50/50, for/against. She didn't seem too worried about it. :D

I’m regular visitor and irregular poster and I didn’t even know about it. :confused:

I will say that it is a bit disappointed that they don’t pay attention to BF but Mr Bell posted that on FaceBook- which I don’t have and never will.
Someone please find his FB group and copy and paste the whole beer scout thread so we can get some more 15 cap lifters :cool:

Last edited:
Someone please find his FB group and copy and paste the whole beer scout thread so we can get some more 15 cap lifters :cool:
SIsI3C2.jpg

Why in the world would he pay attention to Blade Forums?

I, like others here, do not do the Facebook thing - it is a place where a person's feelings, emotions, and subsequent opinions can run unchecked and there is little to no accountability for the sort of posting that goes on in such a place.

Though I understand that Facebook provides an easy outlet for a manufacturer to reach its consumer base, it would still be nice to see GEC have a presence on the forums. We are a group of GEC enthusiasts and supporters and many of us prefer the structure that the forums provide - even if it appears that we are simply whining about one thing or another.

I've seen enough Facebook "discussion" to curdle any bit of good sense I have left - I find it better left alone (for my own sanity, of course).

It’s an unusual situation where people are allowed to openly praise Collector Knives, but anyone who disagrees and who has had a (very) different experience gets told to go post in whine and cheese!

I wonder if you might mean the GBU in the Knife Exchange - that is where one usually discusses the good, the bad, and the ugly with regards to dealers, manufacturers, and knife transactions (good or bad). Personally, I have had no issues with Mike - he is my go-to dealer - but if there have been poor experiences, then one shouldn't be discouraged from posting such things as long as it is in the appropriate sub-forum.

This is not untrue, however when the drop is 10 knives I don't believe you can make an educated analysis of the situation.

2-3 weeks ago I made the statement that this what the supply/demand purchasing reality of GEC is in its current state and I got shouted down by a few different members, I think I was fairly accurate and If the hints of upcoming production are accurate it is not going to change soon. We just got a peek at the next short run of 74s during CK's early reserve. (Commenting on human behavior on your system or methods Mike @knifeswapper ;)) Gone in seconds, faster than the system would allow Mike to control.

Still disagree with you here Jiki (and nobody shouted). Its not the state of GEC given how many different GEC patterns are still available retail....if a pattern is wanted by many, it sells; if it is a pattern of lesser interest, it sits. If it was all GECs, they would all be moving off shelves but that is not the case. The B&SK is a completely different animal and how fast they sold given fairly high production totals and how many showed up immediately on the secondary market for pretty inflated prices bares this out. In my not so humble opinion, there were clearly different buyers vying for this release...those who really liked the knife, those who were afraid of missing out on the next big thing, and those who bought with sole intent to flip. I think what drove the market for the B&SK is twofold, 1) it was on the 35 frame, a desirable knife that many have been pining for a pretty long time; and 2) the perceived connection to the Beer Scout, probably the knife more folks felt they missed out on (it is my Beer Scouts that I receive the most unsolicited offers for). The current high price of Beer Scouts helped set the price the flippers are asking for the B&SK...not sure of many B&SKs have sold at 2 to 4 times retail, but when you see Beer Scouts selling for $400 and $500 (including a recent store model), asking $300 for a B&SK seems like a deal.

The B&SKs you all bought are looking pretty nice, please enjoy them. I have no intent to buy one but I did come to realize some of my aversion was the whole mixed messaging of GEC's marketing. If it had been called/marketed as a Bartenders Scout with the fork to be primarily used for cocktail garnishes and the comb for a strainer (as I had postulated when the images hit the GEC website) I think I would have looked on this knife differently. But calling it a bartenders tool seems odd to me when GEC claims that the fork is for eating sausage and the comb is for combing your beard...neither of which have anything to do with bartending. Although a nice knife and I'm glad you are all enjoying, I think GEC missed the opportunity here to create a classic more in line with the Beer Scout, devoid of what I perceive as a gimmicks on the B&SK, the beard comb and the name.

Pretty sure this is not what most were expecting from the #35 release. Will this be a variant with a more traditional 35 to follow?View attachment 1388857
I think the comb is for getting the sausage remnants and beer foam out of your beard. Guaranteed to generate a unique patina. A cheese knife / wine opener are next and are being contracted out to Victorinox.

Last edited:
I, like others here, do not do the Facebook thing - it is a place where a person's feelings, emotions, and subsequent opinions can run unchecked and there is little to no accountability for the sort of posting that goes on in such a place.
I whole heartedly agree! You might as well write your name, address, SS number and shoe size on public bathroom wall.:p

Back