#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

I used to think the idiosycracies of GEC use of 1095 very exasperating. I can't put good money into knives that rust...and come dull. Then I realized 1095 and the edge were to minimize overhead to maximize profit. Most of GEC idiosyncrasies helps maximize sales.

To me the B&S is their way to see what they can get away with. B&S is code for BS :) It has two nontraditional blades that avoid grinding, i.e. lower cost. The story of the design genesis provided by a dealer is also very good team marketing even down to syntax of the copy. There is a long history of sweet ways to separate traditional cutlery collectors from money and maximize profit. GEC is a master at it and they and their dealers enjoy their work. That's OK by me, but in the old days you got 440C ;)

Sheesh, that's a hyperbolic statement if I've ever heard one...

GEC has made it quite plain as to why they use the steel they do. And for the record, the steel does just fine.

The story of the design genesis provided by a dealer is also very good team marketing even down to syntax of the copy.
? Conspiracy theory much?
I was going to share that story because I had said that I would, Mike just beat me to it. Randy had been sharing these stories with us all through the pandemic. He has been very gracious with his time and information. (Bill is not a fan of him being on FB btw). If you want screen shots I can get them for you.

? Conspiracy theory much?
I was going to share that story because I had said that I would, Mike just beat me to it. Randy had been sharing these stories with us all through the pandemic. He has been very gracious with his time and information. (Bill is not a fan of him being on FB btw). If you want screen shots I can get them for you.

No conspiracy, just admirable teamwork providing a consistent message. A good team can act in concert with minimal structure. GEC has done a superb job partnering with dealers to maximize income.

I still contend that I wouldn't mind a GEC presence here - not to hear our gripes per se but to be part of our discussions (much like Randy appears to be on Facebook).

That takes time and it's easy for somebody speaking publicly as a company rep to say something that ends up causing customers to quit supporting them.

I suppose a forum volunteer could email Mr Howard a 'Blade Forum's Weekly Digest' that highlights the important GEC discussions we had that week and then he could peruse it as his leisure.
Or maybe just mark it as spam :p

Ironic that you mention Jiki is splitting hairs, when you're doing the same thing. Some designs aren't hot for whatever reason that's entirely beside the point. The bail & chain knives are still available because they're tiny, and every dealer mentions that removing the chain voids the warranty. A lot of folks didn't like the light springs of the 97s. The #38s, eh, I can see why they aren't hot, as I don't love that frame myself. Some of the pocket carvers, and maybe the acrylic #86 are still around, those weren't to everyone's taste, which is fair. A lot of why the "hot" GEC models vanishing instantly is because they're GEC. They're GEC knives, made to a very high standard, in a desirable pattern. If that weren't the case, we'd all be talking about Case, Rough Ryder, and whatever new/old stock Queens people could find. GEC is the major game in town, and both newcomers trying to go back and snap up previous release knives, as well as current GEC collectors snapping up desirable new models is why they're hot. . Just think, if Queen could have been doing what GEC has done, make traditional knives fresh and exciting again...maybe they'd still be around. GEC know what they're doing, and people understand that GEC make a quality product. Good for Mr. Howard, and good for those guys up in Titusville making a product that's in such demand. I wish they made larger runs, and hopefully they'll iron that out in time.[/QUOTE}

HUH??? seems like you are making my exact point, just because a knife is a GEC "alone" does not mean it will sell, there are other factors involved (like pattern, cover material, spring weight)...that was my point plain and simple.

And I thought in the old days you got 1095 Carbon Steel and 440C say around 1913 ish?:D
I think it depends on which old days you're talking about. Mid 20th century, you got carbon steel of some kind or mystery stainless (probably 440A).

And we sharpened and used them and didn't complain. :D
xXUxbYsm.jpg

I think it depends on which old days you're talking about. Mid 20th century, you got carbon steel of some kind or mystery stainless (probably 440A).

And we sharpened and used them and didn't complain. :D
xXUxbYsm.jpg
True r8shell, we all perceive age differently;):) even within 24hrs my age changes:D

That takes time and it's easy for somebody speaking publicly as a company rep to say something that ends up causing customers to quit supporting them.

I suppose a forum volunteer could email Mr Howard a 'Blade Forum's Weekly Digest' that highlights the important GEC discussions we had that week and then he could peruse it as his leisure.
Or maybe just mark it as spam :p
I bet he already has a pretty full plate, and doesn't need to be wasting time reading conflicting ideas and thoughts on a forum...

I got an ebony ordered last week. Accidentally deleted tracking email. OOT this week so I can’t recover the email. I am not concerned at all, dealer is fantastic and Mail is on hold for the week. It will prolly look like the other ebony ones, but it will be mine.

I agree. It’s one thing to be unique, but this is really odd. I used to think GEC’s idiosyncracies were kinda cool, these days I just find it exasperating. Such as the weird blade etches - for example on the crown lifter.

I think the limited choices are upping the ante in terms of expectations and pressure.

I hope nobody here actually listens to me- I have no clue what I’m talking about with traditional knives.
My first GEC was a Beer Scout and it has made me love cap lifters.

A large group of us have been waiting for a cap lifter from GEC for a long time.
When I first heard this 35 pattern had one I jumped on it before I even knew what it really was.
I’m glad I did because I really like the pattern and blades- no regrets.

But I’m one of dummies that would buy any GEC with a cap lifter.

Running a business is tough and stressful. I did it for a few years and would never do it again. People have different reasons and perceived responsibilities when running a business. Some want to create a product that will make people happy. Others feel an obligation to their employees to keep the company profitable to give everyone security. A large amount do it for their family. Eventually owners get to the point that they need to increase profits and find more ways to fill their pockets.

Back