#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

I hope nobody here actually listens to me- I have no clue what I’m talking about with traditional knives.
My first GEC was a Beer Scout and it has made me love cap lifters.

A large group of us have been waiting for a cap lifter from GEC for a long time.
When I first heard this 35 pattern had one I jumped on it before I even knew what it really was.
I’m glad I did because I really like the pattern and blades- no regrets.

But I’m one of dummies that would buy any GEC with a cap lifter.
Just be you and be happy, life is short. Obviously you are not a dummy as this offering is off the charts in folks who like it.

Pàdruig Pàdruig Here you are Dylan, it's one of my prized ones thank you. Lot of Mammothish aspect about it:cool:

dsHC3NT.jpg

This thread has inadvertently exposed the great strength of Traditionals: their range of styles and interpretations :thumbsup: The Sausage Comb is proving controversial, provokes argument and this is productive. One of the reasons I would be opposed to an official GEC presence here is that it MIGHT stifle argument&controversy could become a same group-think fanboy adoration society...seen that happen on other knife forums:poop: I certainly don't like this current knife, frankly I think it's lame and a wasted opportunity- but it may have been as a result of the rush to a draconian shutdown and GEC had to think fast and differently, no bad thing at all. Others are enjoying it and who can gainsay that?

It seems to me that we can all agree to differ and I'm glad about that provided people don't take their POV as being sacred, unique and part of their personality or creed ;):D

Markeologist Markeologist Actually, no, I'm not making your point. I'm supporting the point that Jiki Jiki was making. These knives sell because they're GECs in desirable designs, materials, and fit/finish. If you disagree, that's simply not an accurate understanding of events. I'm having trouble remembering the last time a big lolly scramble happened when Case or a new Rough Ryder dropped. The exact reason so many knives disappear so fast lately is because they're GEC's, and thus on everyone's radar, collector and flipper alike. If it's an undesirable pattern, well it's just an undesirable pattern, it's not a sign that these being GEC have nothing to do with how fast their knives sell.

Edited for clarity and tone

Last edited:
Markeologist Markeologist Actually, no, I'm not making your point. I'm supporting the point that Jiki Jiki was making. These knives sell because they're GECs in desirable designs, materials, and fit/finish. If you disagree, that's simply not an accurate understanding of events. I'm having trouble remembering the last time a big lolly scramble happened when Case or a new Rough Ryder dropped. The exact reason so many knives disappear so fast lately is because they're GEC's, and thus on everyone's radar, collector and flipper alike. If it's an undesirable pattern, well it's just an undesirable pattern, it's not a sign that these being GEC have nothing to do with how fast their knives sell.

Edited for clarity and tone

My apologies if I'm unclear but I'm not disputing the fact the GEC produces knives of higher quality and desirability than others nor am I disputing that it is because GEC makes such quality knives that these "lolly scrambles" occur.

This all goes back to a point I made weeks ago about the apparent "frenzy" (the term I used) on the upcoming B&SK. I made the statement that the frenzy that was occurring in large part because on this particular release there was a FOMO (a point others here echoed). Jiki replied to my post that this could be said about "all GEC products at this point." PLEASE READ THAT CAREFULLY..."all GEC products." I responded, as did others, that this was not true as so many GECs are available retail and I provided a list of readily available knives from GEC where no lolly scramble was occurring. If you disagree, that's simply not an accurate understanding of current conditions...but as I noted, you seem to be making same point I am...even above you state "these knives sell because they're GECs in desirable designs, materials, and fit/finish" which seems to me to be acknowledging that not all GECs come in desirable designs or materials.

My apologies if I'm unclear but I'm not disputing the fact the GEC produces knives of higher quality and desirability than others nor am I disputing that it is because GEC makes such quality knives that these "lolly scrambles" occur.

This all goes back to a point I made weeks ago about the apparent "frenzy" (the term I used) on the upcoming B&SK. I made the statement that the frenzy that was occurring in large part because on this particular release there was a FOMO (a point others here echoed). Jiki replied to my post that this could be said about "all GEC products at this point." PLEASE READ THAT CAREFULLY..."all GEC products." I responded, as did others, that this was not true as so many GECs are available retail and I provided a list of readily available knives from GEC where no lolly scramble was occurring. If you disagree, that's simply not an accurate understanding of current conditions...but as I noted, you seem to be making same point I am...even above you state "these knives sell because they're GECs in desirable designs, materials, and fit/finish" which seems to me to be acknowledging that not all GECs come in desirable designs or materials.
And you are disregarding the fact that I said at this point, meaning current production. I know that what it meant because I said it. You want to continue to disagree with half of my statement go ahead.

At this point, arguing against this pedantry from you has ceased to be productive. I'm with Jiki Jiki at this point, and agree to disagree. You're still incorrect, in any case. Your belief that people who like this knife because of FOMO is simply incorrect, for factual reasons I already laid out previously. I'm sorry you can't see that. I wish you the best, have a great day.

Good grief Markeologist Markeologist ! This knife is not my cup of tea either, but you just won’t let it go. To each his own. I am beginning to wonder if you are just trying to upset people on purpose.

I would love to read more about how our friends are enjoying and using their new Beer and Sausage Knives. Who knows, I might change my mind about them. They certainly are beautiful and interesting knives. The photo opportunities are endless!

Last edited:
There doesnt look like a lot of blade forum members were able to purchase these. Sure, theres plenty of people not on blade forums that have most likely bought these as well. But, it almost seems like the majority of sales were by flippers and not knife enthusiasts as flippers thought it was the second coming of beer scout while most knife people did not think so. Im guessing these flippers are using some sort of bot programs to make these purchases. I doubt most collectors and users go through what it takes to achieve that.

There doesnt look like a lot of blade forum members were able to purchase these. Sure, theres plenty of people not on blade forums that have most likely bought these as well. But, it almost seems like the majority of sales were by flippers and not knife enthusiasts as flippers thought it was the second coming of beer scout while most knife people did not think so. Im guessing these flippers are using some sort of bot programs to make these purchases. I doubt most collectors and users go through what it takes to achieve that.

Hard to say, I guess. Most of the folks that I've seen acquire them here have been quite happy with them and there are some of us who certainly hoped to land at least one. BF only represents a fraction of the consumer base though so I can't really speak to where other discussions are occurring.

I am tech savvy and rather prepared and have been successful on a Northwoods drop and drops that are of a more modern nature. I had never experienced what I saw when trying to get a B&S the other day - it was pretty mind blowing. That said, I'm not all that broken up about it - you win some and you lose some. Life goes on - there will always be awesome knives to experience down the road.

I don't see how we can really chalk the scarcity of this knife up to flippers when there are a total of 1,200 of these to my understanding (400 of each material) and we've maybe seen 20-30 total sales on the big auction site. 15 previously sold knives, and 9 currently listed (I'm sure different search terms might come up with a few more). But in any case, that's an exceptionally small portion of the total run of 800 (currently sold, the jigged bone isn't really widely available as yet). I maintain that most of these knives are in collectors' hands, proving how popular and desirable these knives unexpectedly were.

Current discussion aside, I would very much like to see more pics of these, more folks using or admiring them. After all, that is what this thread is all about, yes? Beer and Sausage! I am missing out on one of my favorite "holidays" (Oktoberfest) because of this blasted year.

So more Beer and Sausage please - and yes, I am talking about the knife, the beer, and the sausage. Heck, show your beard off while you are at it if you want!

Can't wait to see the jigged bones showing up in this thread. I am enjoying my B&SK's I really like my micarta version. It's far more snappy then my ebony. The ebony is very dark, the polished bolsters with the dark ebony sets it off.

Can't wait to see the jigged bones showing up in this thread. I am enjoying my B&SK's I really like my micarta version. It's far more snappy then my ebony. The ebony is very dark, the polished bolsters with the dark ebony sets it off.

I like the look of that Jigged Bone as well. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of it when it starts turning up.

I was in early on these knives and once pics started to surface I knew they would be popular. With that being said, not every knife enthusiast has the same feelings and that fine! We all don't like the same things. These are knives, they are supposed to be fun. That's why we do what we do. It's a fun hobby. Life's to short to worry about a comb and a fork/lifter combo.

In years to come these will be saught after. Maybe the short run was also to test the waters a bit. I won't complain if they make another pattern with a more traditional lifter though!!

Last edited:

Mine should be here around the weekend, I am absolutely looking forward to it! My Micarta has been in my pocket pretty much every day since I got it. The workaday nature of the natural micarta has really worked to make the knife feel rugged and capable. Like you describe, the ebony on mine is really dark also, which I'm thankful for, because I just do not like ebony with those tan streaks through it that I've seen on some ebony #97s still in stock at a very few dealers. I'll post up some more pics later, as I don't have access to my camera at the moment.

How hard would it be to mod that fork into a screwdriver/cap lifter?

Candidly, all things are possible with a bench grinder. :D

However, it might be a tad difficult due to where the nail nick is, in relation to the fork "tines". If you just cut the tines off straight across, you'd still cut about 10% of the nail nick away as well. Grinding the "shoulders" inward to make it look more like the slotted head screwdriver from other GEC caplifters would essentially grind most of the rest of the nail nick away.

That said, there IS room on the knife for you to grind in a new nail nick further back, or just turn the leftover of the existing nick into a long pull. There's enough meat sticking up above the frameside to make it happen.

56RitfMsA1cSRP9CBvUBrKIB1gAsoUeFpWWRELVwuv7PzmMLfWkuUmHLJ8sSUZcWnUYkMRzFynX-Q2P-vp5JldXVfjC-b5_7lIuCl3po5iG1E7FNqaV_go0mpnPlsoo4x-e3s_k5Fkq0TAVW_3ZnMZX-piHHEAvnHEjuALyYf1QTa-mE_ZmCayXy-WNBtdzF_HAHUjNCNP0V0wy9kofIDu27S9RDk1-YDjXzA4Ez1tlrBcpy5OAG_0jSO_svjUMnBOvPWpObO9z4hSLklJ4dNAH8sekzQNroecIaMzBWatY8aMDm9wklu1uj-nVoQlaopwirQAtBzxtrLpfYnCsaBqSFhD1jOk2AfZgQYHDTQX7CXV-kBRlMoTZnb3op_2_ITq61S4oG5BG5DwU9MlNLdKxsbX-y45D3JRL2SJG0CsAYS_UZWUQXdiPvcODtfmWzWNKFMpcmktgBLJUZRDObwC32fDJS5xF_KShjMvlrNiuJMUN2RVhBwqEorcH4GdBTBZU8VR7YbC46DtR7-TTqWN0-QY8q65d_kS4ezRPB1sQ-XWDgPsXAZbbzq1onmgEPNOm0w9GFzhGBIYGV_6XokdSd4MTUknLYrV2b52Z-B6BnAzTVwHoLzv3ARo9ScVmwPslms1Pueo16VvSgzily3x9Zr7DdNJL-co9dAUIKLHMSNWsvS19ymiOXfnrBKg=w708-h943-no

Took mine on vacation with me last weekend. I love it. I've used the beard rake more than I thought I would. The cap lifter got a lot of reps! I am still on the honeymoon phase with it, but it is going to be a keeper and a hard user! Really the perfect weekend knife for me.

Pàdruig Pàdruig Here you are Dylan, it's one of my prized ones thank you. Lot of Mammothish aspect about it:cool:

dsHC3NT.jpg

This thread has inadvertently exposed the great strength of Traditionals: their range of styles and interpretations :thumbsup: The Sausage Comb is proving controversial, provokes argument and this is productive. One of the reasons I would be opposed to an official GEC presence here is that it MIGHT stifle argument&controversy could become a same group-think fanboy adoration society...seen that happen on other knife forums:poop: I certainly don't like this current knife, frankly I think it's lame and a wasted opportunity- but it may have been as a result of the rush to a draconian shutdown and GEC had to think fast and differently, no bad thing at all. Others are enjoying it and who can gainsay that?

It seems to me that we can all agree to differ and I'm glad about that provided people don't take their POV as being sacred, unique and part of their personality or creed ;):D
That's some good looking appaloosa View attachment 1423946

Back