4.7 3V used for the first time: significant edge damage

Cata: I had actually meant to reply to BBuser, but because I had missed you, I clicked onto your post instead :p :D

I'm happy with the process Guy proposed (he'll replace my knife with a new one of my choosing (he gave me 4 options)) and because of the testing he did on the various places on the blade I think it was a great proposal.

I know the returning of auto parts (at least in my state) is law that the original parts must be returned to you on request, this is to prevent fraud. As far as my knife I don't see any reason why he'd give me back my original blade and a replacement, that would be ridiculous! Though I would have loved a replacement GSO-4.7, I'm very excited for the GSO-6...

I didn't mean he "should" get it back just I didn't see what good it was anymore to SK. I'm sure the solution is great. Not trying to troll which is why I was letting the earlier response rest. Please don't be so free with the T word.

Sorry BBuser, we've had a lot of trolls coming by in the last couple of years on this subforum, many of them were banned for that and some moved away. I don't use the word freely - just sick of people trying to pick S!K apart for any&all reasons. As I said, there are legitimate reasons to be upset, as a customer, but picking at the solution the OP and Survive came to is not one of them!

Maybe it's time we copy here the 'Warranty and Return' Policy that S!K has on their website, for everyone's FYI..

Warranty and Returns
All warranty and return claims are subject to review. Once you have returned the knife to the SURVIVE! Workshop we will determine eligibility and issue an equal exchange or full refund, if approved. Otherwise, the item will be returned to you. The customer is responsible for the cost of shipping items to SURVIVE! for warranty/return assessments.
Warranty
All SURVIVE! knives are warranted for life against defects in materials and workmanship. Additionally, if your knife should ever suffer significant unintentional damage, we will replace it with a comparable model for only the cost of shipping and handling.

SURVIVE! knives are designed for use as a cutting tool, built using premium materials, to provide many years of reliable service. Use of a SURVIVE! knife for any purpose other than cutting is considered abuse, which is not covered by our lifetime warranty. SURVIVE! knives, like any tool, can eventually wear out. Keep your SURVIVE! knife well maintained for best performance and optimum service life. Blade coatings and factory sheath systems are not covered by our lifetime warranty.

Knives damaged due to abuse/neglect will be handled on an individual basis and will be repaired or replaced, at our discretion, for a reasonable rate. Please contact Info@SurviveKnives.com for all warranty, service or repair inquiries.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're going to be without a knife for a LONG time. Especially if you chose the GSO-6 (isn't that one several models out?). Hopefully they send you one of the first ones finished. This is one case where I definitely think that would be in order.

I can definitely fix it with diamonds but 420HC and VG-10 should not be outclassing 3V by this much. I have done several deer with a few of my VG-10 Fallknivens (H1 and F1) without any sharpening in between and zero edge damage. They shave after a deer every time...

In fact I think they should be outclassing it, because they routinely have in my experience. As they did with S30V, CPM 154 and now Survive's 3V.

An no, it's not a "bad layer" that will grind away either. I had an expensive RJ Martin in S30V that I ground away by hand (no power) for two years, hoping there was "good" steel hiding in there somewhere... The lesson I learned is that good steel is not hiding somewhere in the bad.

To be fair, even if the 3V apex has low stability and soon reflects light back, it does wear down very slowly after that fast initial fine edge loss. I might place it above the other two Powder steels, but that isn't saying much.

Gaston

G Gaston444
ASFAIK, Fällkniven generally enjoys an excellent reputation among people in the bushcraft/survival community that expect to (and do) use their knives hard.
They use several different laminates, including some with powder steels (SGPS, Cowry X).
Thoughts?

Back