4-max feedback

Well I got two in the mail instead of one. Second preorder and one I bought from a retailer. Looks like the one from the retailer is missing body screws. I mean everything else was spot on but the body screws which C might be kind of important

WUT? missing body screws? That's even more ridiculous than anything else mentioned on this thread... the grinds may be okay(IMO) but how could missing screws got missed? Can you share any picture of how it looks like when it came?

I always defend CS against haters but based on the reports here, something is definitely amiss with the QA process. I think 4 Max is still worth the money, but at this point I would rather they stick with whoever produced the Swift in Taiwan and pass that savings to us......

As always, made in USA != higher quality

Missing screws and chipped blades at $350? Ouch. I'd send that back to the dealer for a full refund.

5351f0eb5b0d6143d62051a5b8a1ac6d.jpg

3bb8259661f37404392ac1680603ab73.jpg

Let's see what they say tomorrow. Dealer is asking for some screws. The messed up thing is I wanted to use it today and weekend for a trip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Removing my content this sub forum. Enjoy your 4-max knives guys.

Last edited:
While I think the idea of the 4 Max is intriguing in several different ways, 10.1 oz is just too heavy for me to carry. I ll stick with my Ultimate Hunter which I think is a fine heavy duty knife at a reasonable size and a great price.
I would like to hold one, however.

Well it's lighter than the rajah 2. And the rajah is about the limit for me. I'd like to snag a 4 when the price is right. I wish the scales were darker though. They'll discolor for sure. Maybe it'll give it character haha.

5351f0eb5b0d6143d62051a5b8a1ac6d.jpg

3bb8259661f37404392ac1680603ab73.jpg

Let's see what they say tomorrow. Dealer is asking for some screws. The messed up thing is I wanted to use it today and weekend for a trip...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow... I would not accept anything short of a refund or replacement from the dealer. This is a big miss. If it's coming from the factory like that and shipped out as is, then someone's got some explaining to do...

Wow... I would not accept anything short of a refund or replacement from the dealer. This is a big miss. If it's coming from the factory like that and shipped out as is, then someone's got some explaining to do...
kinda fishy

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

this is totally unbelievable...:confused: :(

mine should be here later today...

will post up results...

Last edited:
Removing my content this sub forum. Enjoy your 4-max knives guys.

Last edited:
Surprising stuff here. How does the only USA made model come with missing screws ? I'm sure things will improve over time. But kind of nuts. And I'd love to see the grind issues fixed near the handle. Then I will hope for the smaller version for me.

Decent price point for sure and impressive build.

Anyone know why the smooth handle material?.

Last edited:
Well...the verdict's in <for me at least> ...

The 4 Max is as "perfect" as any knife I've bought from any company or individual...I have a decent experience base to judge from, but YMMV.

Here's my CS family portrait thread-- judge for yourself if you think I can spot a good CS when I see one...http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ey-s-Family-Portraits?p=16186738#post16186738

I Snapped a few pics of some of the "hot spots" some individuals find fault with on their 4 Max's...

The blade is damn near centered perfectly and, as you can see in the last pic, the secondary bevels are quite symmetrical...

And if this edge was sharpened by hand-- he/she musta been a damn cyborg or robot cause it's OUTSTANDING even down to the little kick area fore of the choil...

pics:

OW7KEzI.jpg

DNmtCXg.jpg

edge ground all the way to the choil:

FFivx0O.jpg

qrytBai.jpg

qAfyNPF.jpg

B05syB9.jpg

Anyone know why the smooth handle material?.

Cause it's AMAZING...

It's nearly identical to Demko's custom hand smoothed scales...

Matter of fact, strip off the 4 Max & CS blade branding, satin finish the blade, leave the heat hardening scale on the TriAD lock interface and spine jimping and there's virtually NO DIFFERENCE from a DEMKO custom...

The only thing that's up in the air as of now is the heat treat and that will bear out with my usage and subsequent sharpening.

ENORMOUS VALUE WITH THIS MODEL

Thanks for the info and review. I'm happy you have a sweet new toy.

Last question. Whats the hole for near the choil area going through the handle?

Last question. Whats the hole for near the choil area going through the handle?

Someone said for indexing / securing in a jig to contour the handles...I think I heard Demko say that his design "..just needed something" there in that area rather than solid handle...either way, I like it...

Maybe Demko or CS will give the consummate reason why

Looks like they ground past the heel. Is that a camera artifact or did they actually grind into the ricasso area?

Looks like they ground past the heel. Is that a camera artifact or did they actually grind into the ricasso area?

that's a reflection off the polished part of the choil...trust me, this is custom level quality and materials on my knife...the primary & secondary grinds on this thing are impeccable. :thumbup:

On a side note, I have noticed the grind lines depicted on the box don't match up with the production model as delivered, though...no biggie, but compare for yourself the box picture & the actual 4 Max in my first pic...;)

No doubt a design evolution after the box photos were shot...I actually like the high hollow depicted on the box better, but I ain't gonna complain with the finished product! ;)

This model has went through many interesting permutations.

Ha! and now looking back again at the box & knife I notice the pivot torx is domed on the box, flush on the prod. model...

The blade falls free with full depression & of the TriAD and a slight wrist shake...just like I like it...:cool:

Remarkably, I CAN'T push the blade off center even when closed-- which is pretty easy to do with most production folders...in blade rotation to full deployment I can't coax any side to side play in any part of the arc, either...yet the blade has that constant Chris Reeve like hydraulic resistance when you push. Solid as the proverbial bank vault.

In F&F, deployment, and grind-- it is comparable to Andrew's custom knives.

Note how every 90 is rounded off on each edge and corner of the handles, liners, backspacer, etc. My last pic in the sequence above gives you an idea. Contouring like that don't come around every day on a regular production model.

And as I previously stated, the anneal, HT, & quench quality will prove out with practical, extended use, and subsequent sharpenings <for an ELU like me> so I can't comment on that yet.

Maybe a brother who has access to testing equipment could run some trials and technical stats and specs, maybe.

Also, I haven't broken it down, but I'd be surprised if a complete take down to pivot, liners, etc. would reveal anything less that 100% Quality and attention to detail I've noticed from the outside.

Last edited:
I just hope those of us who didn't pre-order don't have to wait till next year for another batch...:eek::D

Back