#78 American Jack

I don't see much difference between this one and the 85 Bullet Jack, except for a rounder butt and maybe a tad longer pen blade. Am I missing something obvious (other than cover options) ?

I get the impression the frame is a tad longer and deeper, meaning the pen is better recessed.

I don't see much difference between this one and the 85 Bullet Jack, except for a rounder butt and maybe a tad longer pen blade. Am I missing something obvious (other than cover options) ?

Ah, but the devil's in the tads, er, details, and that's why I'm so glad there are so many good knives to choose from.

The pointy-pointy #85s (3 5/8") don't appeal to me, whereas I already know I love the 3 3/4" sleeveboard frame this #78 is built upon, given my affection for my #79 Workhorse Whittler on the same frame. In fact, I had wistfully envisioned a jack on this frame long before I had any notion one might be forthcoming. The secondary blades on the Workhorse are visible in this picture:

c3c93b17-eb5a-4d94-9805-bfe4f8d222ec.jpg~original

~ P.

I have a Tidioute #78 American Jack Chestnut Jigged Bone, in the mail.

I like the Tidioute Hot Dog Shields.... and the Tidioute shield for that matter. In general, I think the shields used on the Tidioute models look better than the Northfields.

I just received my ebony Tidioute. This is a big, sturdy jack. Personally, I like the simplicity of the no shield/no etch design.

I just received my ebony Tidioute. This is a big, sturdy jack. Personally, I like the simplicity of the no shield/no etch design.

I ordered that one too, it's still on the way. How is the access to the main blade? Is the pen in the way at all?

I ordered that one too, it's still on the way. How is the access to the main blade? Is the pen in the way at all?

Not at all. I'd say it's about the same as opening an 85 in clip configuration, if you're familiar with that.

Not at all. I'd say it's about the same as opening an 85 in clip configuration, if you're familiar with that.

Nope, this is my first GEC. I noticed they made the pen blade pretty long on this one. Do you like it?

The nick on the main is almost completely exposed, so no problem getting to it. As for the pen, yes, it is almost as long as the main, but it is still much narrower top to bottom, so the knife still maintains a significant difference in blades, which is something I look for.

Here are a couple (poor) pics:

This one also has the lightest ebony of any GEC I've bought. I don't mind, but it's not the almost black, or at least dark chocolate, that I'm used to.

Last edited:
Well, I got mine, looks beautiful, that chocolate colored ebony is great. On the other hand, the pull on the main is so stiff it actually hurts my nail.
I was ready to love this knife, but that's a deal breaker for me.......

I think that GEC has gone to a lesser grade of ebony to better differentiate between it and the African Blackwood they now use exclusively in their Northfield line. At least, the cost savings seem to be partially passed on to the customer. Not a bad business decision, if you think about it. If you prefer a dark black wood covered knife, you'll probably pony up for it. I don't expect to see the dark black ebony return, but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Could you direct me to a site that has the Tidioute Ebony #78. PM/email if necessary.

Thanks

So guys... Halfstops?

I think that GEC has gone to a lesser grade of ebony to better differentiate between it and the African Blackwood they now use exclusively in their Northfield line. At least, the cost savings seem to be partially passed on to the customer. Not a bad business decision, if you think about it. If you prefer a dark black wood covered knife, you'll probably pony up for it. I don't expect to see the dark black ebony return, but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Not sure, could just be this batch. The #09s look like dark chocolate but those are smaller pieces of ebony.

Well, I got mine, looks beautiful, that chocolate colored ebony is great. On the other hand, the pull on the main is so stiff it actually hurts my nail.
I was ready to love this knife, but that's a deal breaker for me.......

Yeah, I'd say mine is on the firm side, as well. Although, it already improved just by washing it out and working oil into the joints. Try that, then put some masking or duct tape on the blade so you won't get cut by accident, and work the joint a little each day for a few days. I worked the heck out of a stiff 23 this way and it made a huge difference.

Back