#78 American Jack

I think that GEC has gone to a lesser grade of ebony to better differentiate between it and the African Blackwood they now use exclusively in their Northfield line. At least, the cost savings seem to be partially passed on to the customer. Not a bad business decision, if you think about it. If you prefer a dark black wood covered knife, you'll probably pony up for it. I don't expect to see the dark black ebony return, but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Well it seems the Dark Black Ebony has returned with the 09 Esquire. No pix yet, but I have the knives in hand.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say mine is on the firm side, as well. Although, it already improved just by washing it out and working oil into the joints. Try that, then put some masking or duct tape on the blade so you won't get cut by accident, and work the joint a little each day for a few days. I worked the heck out of a stiff 23 this way and it made a huge difference.

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not interested in that. It's just not for me. Too bad really, love it otherwise. It's funny because my Colt teardrop jack is pretty firm, with half stops,
and after a fair amount of use, remains about the same, pull-wise. It's firmer than I would like, but the 78 is a whole 'nother thing.

Just caught up with this thread. Oh, my! That Ebony 78 just might be "The One"! (now where is that credit card?) Ya'll keep posting your impressions on this when you start getting your knives in the mail.

I'd like to see a comparison picture of these new #78 knives with a Boys Knife. They seem to be about the same size and shape, and being another jack pattern they look very similar. I'm missing something obvious.
More feedback on the pull strength would be appreciated too. More difficult or easier to open than a Boys Knife or typical File & Wire?

Mine is definitely a firmer pull than on my 15s. The main is more like my 73's pull, which isn't a condemnation, as I don't mind a firm pull.

I've always thought that knives with half stops exaggerate the pull, since the blade wants to move to half open once you move it so far, instead of just being able to easily stop it on its travel anywhere you like can on a cam tang, so you feel like it takes more control to open and close.

Mine is definitely a firmer pull than on my 15s. The main is more like my 73's pull, which isn't a condemnation, as I don't mind a firm pull.

I've always thought that knives with half stops exaggerate the pull, since the blade wants to move to half open once you move it so far, instead of just being able to easily stop it on its travel anywhere you like can on a cam tang, so you feel like it takes more control to open and close.

Yup, I'm with you there. Without the half stop it might have worked for me. Like I said, this was my first GEC, gorgeous patten, wood, craftsmanship, but not really a useable tool (for me).
I'm not a collector, just a user.

I'm bummed my prim bone didn't come in today, but should be here tomorrow. I'm having a cognac to calm myself. ;)

I'll get some pics with a 15 in a bit, but here are some shots comparing the 78 to an 85 w/ spear main and a 79 Workhorse - the frame the 78 is based on.

Thanks! I kind of wish mine was a bit darker, though. I'm tempted to see if I could maybe use some very dark wood stain on it.

I don't see why you couldn't use some wipe-on gel type stain/finish on it.

Thanks! I kind of wish mine was a bit darker, though. I'm tempted to see if I could maybe use some very dark wood stain on it.

I've had very good success with rit dye. Used it on a a brown 72 and 73 beaver series. I have a 78 in the mail the same as yours, and if I'm not happy with the brown, I will do the same.

My Primitive Bone came in today, looks terrific to me, with lots of color and character. Thanks again, Mike.
The pulls are stout on this one, about a 7-8 out of the tube. Might leave the blades open as in the first pic to lighten 'em a bit.

AmJackPrimOpen_zpsd8384c7e.jpg~original

AmJackPrimPile_zps70d7a45c.jpg~original

Pull of 7 to 8, that's got me worried, that it will be like my # 54's :eek:

Back