#81 Bull Moose Thread

Latham has the ebony 81 as satin finish on the blades. Can he or anyone else verify that? I believe all the other Northfields are polished.

Latham has the ebony 81 as satin finish on the blades. Can he or anyone else verify that? I believe all the other Northfields are polished.
Asked GEC on their Instagram release pic, and they did say they were satin :)

Thanks for the verification! I really prefer the satin finish, but like the Northfield blades. Might have to get an ebony to go with my ebony 54 moose. I'm not a micarta fan on traditionals usually, but for some reason, this 81 grabs my attention. Really like the brushed bolsters too. This is a really nice run all around. Hard to make a decision. Apaloosa is really nice too!

Backside of my Bull Moose.
PfRF0L4.jpg

My package was delayed :(. I hate the USPS. Still waiting for my Natural Micarta 81.

Anyone know when the and where the ebony model will be? I want one.

My package was delayed :(. I hate the USPS. Still waiting for my Natural Micarta 81.

I received the notice from collector knives yesterday on the ebony. It's already in my cart but I "should" sell something first.

Right there with you, man. Mine has been delayed more days than it was supposed to take for it to be delivered. How does USPS even exist?

Thanks to everyone here :p
I just ordered a Ebony :D
Interesting pattern and had to try one:thumbsup:

I posted a review of mine yesterday but was not able to take some pictures until today and then I had to settle on some Indoor Shots . Ugh !!!!

Harry
Those are some great indoor shots Harry :thumbsup:
If I wasn't so set on Ebony your pictures about made switch covers .

Man Collector Knives packaged them up fast !
Ordered last night and already received tracking info on my Ebony :thumbsup:

Me too.

I got my Natty Canvas 81 today and its very nicely made. The actions are pretty smooth. A Vic SAK is my standard to measure spring tension and snap. My 81 is light compared to the vic. The snap shut is good. The snap open is kinda weak. Hopefully my Ebony will be better. I will post pics when I am done modding them

Last edited:
No Doubt and I noticed on my Ebony Churchill the fit and finish along with walk and talk was the best out of my 3 35's.
I'm hoping that will be the same with the 81's . Plus for some reason it seems the later releases are better all around and more dialed in but that could be just from my experiences with GEC. But thats not to say there earlier releases are not good because there all very nice .

as far as a traditional, this one has the cleanest build of my few.

On a whim I also ordered a buck large stockman with my 81. Its a literal POS. Dull, gaps every where, weak springs, blade rub. Sorely disappointed. Its one of the USA made ones too.

Hold it next to the 81 and its plainly obvious why GEC seems to be the standard for production traditionals right now.

Here is a pic of my planned modification... i already started grinding it on my belt grinder. This 10-95 is surprisingly difficult to grind. (My belt is old though) I am dipping the blade in ice water and never letting it get beyond warm to the touch. I probably should have used a dremel with a cut-off wheel, but this will be finished tonight. After the mod is done I will force a light patina with a vinegar soak. Dont judge me. I like the gray look of an old blade and I am too impatient to wait for it!!!

4B5141DB-3761-48A0-9AFD-BEFB88A03780.jpeg

Back