#81 Bull Moose Thread

Hi Harry
Where did you reserve it?
I love Appaloosa Bone, but I can't seem to find it.
Thomas
I had it reserved at Collector Knives . I am not sure that they are showing them to anyone other than those who had them On Reserve . Good Luck finding what you like . I am sure that there will be some available .

Harry

My 81 arrived today. It’s a very nice knife, but a bit soft in the springs for my taste. After a thorough cleaning and oiling, I’d call the pull on the clip blade to be about a 4.5. Not too bad. The spear runs about a 4. Not much snap, and very little talk. Not so good.

I have a 2 1/2 hour drive coming up tonight, sitting in the passenger’s seat. I’ll cycle the spear blade a thousand times and see if it gets any better.

Received shipping notification on the Osage Orange and natural micarta and am pretty stoked :D The only GEC retailer here in germany has also listed the Appaloosa bone and damn; I usually don't like the Northfields but that looks so nice

I’ve sold some second handers to German natives over the internet. They all seem to echo the common complaint that it’s hard to find them in Germany, but there seems to be a market over there.

Got my Antique jigged bone today. Wow, what a looker. I love the covers on this one, the fit and finish is near perfect, the blades are centered, the action is smooth, but, I have to agree the pull is light. Not an issue for me, but, I do prefer a heavier pull. All things considered I am very happy with this one. Tried to snap a few shots, but its alright dark here.

81s.JPG 81s_3.JPG 81s_3.JPG

I’ve sold some second handers to German natives over the internet. They all seem to echo the common complaint that it’s hard to find them in Germany, but there seems to be a market over there.
There definitely is; I recently saw a bladeforums-barlow sell for about 450€(about 525$) which is just ludicrous. Goes to show how hard that stuff is to get here. And well importing new ones yourself from the US also is a costly endeavors.
But since about a year there are some really cool guys that import GEC officially so it's getting better.

There definitely is; I recently saw a bladeforums-barlow sell for about 450€(about 525$) which is just ludicrous. Goes to show how hard that stuff is to get here. And well importing new ones yourself from the US also is a costly endeavors.
But since about a year there are some really cool guys that import GEC officially so it's getting better.

I usually don’t sell internationally on the big auction site, but I’ve been contacted a couple of times regarding listings and usually try to help out my Germanic knife knut friends.

Importing from the US is expensive? I’ve honestly just done the customs forms and sent them on their way, I never thought about any hoops or fees a buyer would have to pay after it reached Germany.

I usually don’t sell internationally on the big auction site, but I’ve been contacted a couple of times regarding listings and usually try to help out my Germanic knife knut friends.

Importing from the US is expensive? I’ve honestly just done the customs forms and sent them on their way, I never thought about any hoops or fees a buyer would have to pay after it reached Germany.
Sorry to all that this is kindof getting off-topic.

Yeah we have a tax (basically VAT) that is to be payed for everything we import. That alone means about 20% of the value of the item+shipping we have to pay.
Since shipping is often around 50$ that can be quite a bit.
Also if the whole package exceeds 150€ there's and additional 8,5% on knives.

All of that doesn't apply if we buy from another country in the EU.

Received my Osage Orange yesterday (still waiting for the natural micarta :'( ) I'd like the pull to be about double as strong (I'd say it's about a 3/10) and the clip grind at the tip isn't really good(as is unfortunately often the case with GEC).
But ergos are definitely better than expected and finish is as expected from GEC(though I wouldn't say it's better than usual). Blades are dead center
Overall a nice knife(but definitely needs a sharpening) :D
jA6l33D.jpg

I was looking forward to getting one of these but all the reports of soft pulls has changed my mind. I think I saw somebody said a pull of 3 on a scale of 1 to 10? Ugh.

I was looking forward to getting one of these but all the reports of soft pulls has changed my mind. I think I saw somebody said a pull of 3 on a scale of 1 to 10? Ugh.

I have handled a couple hundred and seen nothing near what I would call a 3. But if you want a bear trap - this is not it.

How does it compare to the first Roundhead? That is about the lightest I'd want on a slipjoint.

I love the pull on the Roundhead. Absurdly fluid movement. It has a lighter pull, but extraordinary snap into the open position. The clip blade on my 81 is close to that good, but not quite. The spear blade is weaker, and with far less snap.

Back