A 2016 Forum Knife. An apology, and The Crossroads!

My thoughts at this stage. IF a Lambfoot is chosen I really think it should ONLY be a single-blade version. That's what it's most at home with, additional blade detracts from its appearance and utility- probably makes it thicker and clumsier in the hand. They're unusual for a reason, they likely don't work so well

Seeing that Lambfoot Stag version the mountaineer Mallory carried on his doomed attempt on Everest in 1924 certainly interested me. I've seen some replicas or interpretations of that knife but none seem to catch the swoop of the handle to my mind. So it could be a very nice option at 4" or say 3.75 but using special jigged bone and elaborate but small bolster. Maybe butt cap on it but no end bolster? Certainly different.

However, I'd still prefer an Equal End but with Tip Bolsters. This has not been seen on a Forum Knife and GEC has yet to attempt this style despite many patterns having them in the past. Get the right type of shield on it and decent bone or wood and you'd have a remarkable and individual knife. I wonder if the 68 White Owl frame could be adapted for Tip Bolsters? It would look sensa!

Regards, Will

Will, I agree with you. While the lambs foot is still not my first choice I am really starting to warm up to it. I agree that keeping it single blade would be the best option. However, if we go that rout I would prefer something in the 3.25-3.5" range.
I would really like to see GEC add tip bolsters to their bag of embellishments.

PunchFoot :D

:D :thumbup:

Thanks for showing that r8shell :) I did a whole thread about that knife, but ImageShack reneged on their promise to host the images :grumpy:

Thanks for sharing the pics Jack!! So a Lamb's Foot with a pen/clip on a single spring could be an awesome knife! Bring it on :)

If it was a two-blade knife (with a PEN), it would have to be on two springs :thumbup:

I don't see how it could be on a single spring. It's a Jack Knife pattern.

:thumbup:

My thoughts at this stage. IF a Lambfoot is chosen I really think it should ONLY be a single-blade version. That's what it's most at home with, additional blade detracts from its appearance and utility- probably makes it thicker and clumsier in the hand. They're unusual for a reason, they likely don't work so well

I like both patterns, but I agree Will, I think it's better as a single-blade knife - and in my opinion, it really excels as a single-blade knife, just as the Sodbuster does for instance. The classic Lambsfoot is lighter, more pocketable, and will cost less to make :thumbup:

stick with a punch or awl as secondary, although the split spring awl/caplifter and main (clip or something with a lower point in relation to the blade) is an interesting idea and unusual. why not a shield with a blade forums logo? :) never hurts to advertise. didn't they used to make knives that did that?;) thanks, Neal

I guess I've done that myself...

TLAR-white-Micarta-jack.jpg

Ed J

As for lambsfoots in America, the only ones I've seen are the ones I've ordered from TEW.

Last edited:
This one came all the way from Australia, don't see em much around here. Only new ones I've seen have to order from England. I would like a single blade lambfoot. Have any pics of yours scrteened porch?

Here's an A.Wright and Son's:

I could go for one with a fancy rat tailed bolster. It should have a stovepipe kick, that would be something new for GEC. Maybe a nice cocobolo wood? Or a smooth oiled bone.

Wow. 13 pages and I'm very late to the party. I just don't get on forums much, now days. I can't read all of this ..... But, I would like to say that, Charlie your willingness to take on this task again shows you're a glutton for punishment. You're a better man than I Gunga Din. So, maybe to suspense with all the drama and knowing Charlies immense knowledge of cutlery, why not let him present a suggested BF knife pattern and then we can suggest some slight modifications, if necessary. It would simplify the process for Charlie and hasten a result. Just a suggestion.

i truly admire your dedication to the lambsfoot, but again the 3 3/4" equal end knife talked about by Waynorth would support both that blade and an awl,and possibly be the basis of a new gec model.being equal end should not increase the pocket size-as long as there is a blade/tool at each end. Neal p.s. that a beautful knife TLARbb. what are it's specifics?

Just my $0.02, but the Lambsfoot is too much like the Case Swayback, and I have enough of those.

Just my $0.02, but the Lambsfoot is too much like the Case Swayback, and I have enough of those.

I agree. Too many other patterns already exist that demonstrate the same utility of the lambsfoot. Let's go for something a little more interesting!

I'm not sure how much weight my opinion should have in this discussion because I have not participated in any of the annual knives (primarily because I have had a very limited knife budget in recent years, although I was sorely tempted by the 2014 offering). However, if you want an old pattern that is not produced anywhere today that would probably get me to pry open my wallet if offered in gabon ebony it would be a faithful reproduction of the classic cokebottle, like this one:

Barehead would be the only way to go, either one or two blades.

Seeing that Lambfoot Stag version the mountaineer Mallory carried on his doomed attempt on Everest in 1924 certainly interested me. I've seen some replicas or interpretations of that knife but none seem to catch the swoop of the handle to my mind. So it could be a very nice option at 4" or say 3.75 but using special jigged bone and elaborate but small bolster. Maybe butt cap on it but no end bolster? Certainly different.

Regards, Will

Will, I agree with you. While the lambs foot is still not my first choice I am really starting to warm up to it. I agree that keeping it single blade would be the best option. However, if we go that rout I would prefer something in the 3.25-3.5" range.
I would really like to see GEC add tip bolsters to their bag of embellishments.

These thoughts interest me greatly

We can however do a one-blade or two-blade knife, and possibly bring in a new pattern, ironically, the one that would form the basis of a future scout, a 3 3/4" Equal ender! That is if we wish. Otherwise, we can possibly make it on the #15 frame, or whatever they have in the schedule this year. I suggested a single-spring knife, and Bill said yes he could do that. Maybe we could do an abbreviated scout, with a utility blade at one end (a Radio-Scout? - 0r??). If anyone has an older knife with those blades, please post a pic, or send me one!

Then it's settled. :eek::D:) Lambsfoot it is, put me down for 2.

This one came all the way from Australia, don't see em much around here. Only new ones I've seen have to order from England. I would like a single blade lambfoot. Have any pics of yours scrteened porch?

That's a nice one, the shackle is unusual :thumbup: I'm sure there are many, many posters who've never had the opportunity to try a Lambsfoot, who think it perhaps looks like a Sheepsfoot or a Wharncliffe, but I find it quite different and much more versatile, superior to both except in the heavy cutting at which a big Sheepsfoot excels :thumbup:

Jack can bring the UK crowd over to host the Lambsfoot Tour!!

Here's an A.Wright and Son's:

I could go for one with a fancy rat tailed bolster. It should have a stovepipe kick, that would be something new for GEC. Maybe a nice cocobolo wood? Or a smooth oiled bone.

Very nice r8shell, I could certainly go along with that :) :thumbup:

i truly admire your dedication to the lambsfoot, but again the 3 3/4" equal end knife talked about by Waynorth would support both that blade and an awl,and possibly be the basis of a new gec model.being equal end should not increase the pocket size-as long as there is a blade/tool at each end. Neal p.s. that a beautful knife TLARbb. what are it's specifics?

I'm sure Charlie will be along to let us know what he thinks before too long (he's probably cackling over this thread I imagine!) :) If he's interested in a Lambsfoot, I'd be surprised if he wants to do it in any other form than a traditional one though :thumbup:

Naw, this one will knock the lovely Case Swayback out of the park! ;) They are in any case, quite different knives I think :thumbup:

Not like we are talking...

:thumbup:

I agree. Too many other patterns already exist that demonstrate the same utility of the lambsfoot. Let's go for something a little more interesting!

Have you ever used one Sam? For me, there is nothing which demonstrates the utility of a Lambsfoot other than a Lambsfoot :thumbup:

I'm not sure how much weight my opinion should have in this discussion because I have not participated in any of the annual knives...

You're a long-standing and well-respected member here I think. Your opinion is at least as valid as any of the rest of us :thumbup:

These thoughts interest me greatly

:) :thumbup:

Incidentally, for anyone who is unfamiliar with the story of George Mallory, it really is worth investigating. He was in many ways a fascinating character...with great taste in pocket-knives obviously! ;) :thumbup:

I hope some year we do a Lambfoot! That blade is more versatile than a sheep foot IMO.

BTW, Bill has a lot of work done on the 3 3/4" EE (future scout). We have an opportunity to have the "Triple P" version, if we choose!

Back