A nice surprise

I spent time in the military and knowing what I know now, I would never bring a cheap Amazon blade with me into combat.
I bought a mini Mark II at Ranger Joe’s in Columbus, Georgia. Opened all my MRE pouches during my Army days.

Keep buying and opening loot boxes, PMCsoldier PMCsoldier . You’ll get that rainbow blade karambit that’s +5 vorpal sooner or later! Mom has plenty of room on her debit card.

Well I'm not a combat vet but if I hear Tagalog or Ilocano for a few hours it starts to come back to me. So I've spoken to a few Filipinos who are extremely familiar with kbits, moreso than most people who have not trained extensively with this particular knife.
If you can sharpen it well, your knife is probably at least average compared to kbits carried by people who have carried and trained with them since childhood.

Get a rack of pork or beef ribs and secure it to a sandbag. Take your kbit and stab it through. Scrape the blade along a hard edge. Gouge and twist around as you scrape to simulate the way the k ife could be stressed as your opponents throw whatever surprises they can at you. Do it again, faster. Again, faster. Keep it up as fast as you can for at least five minutes. The mentality I was taught was always defensive - one versus 3 at a time. So stick your blade in and scrape it along something hard, then get away to either deal with the other bad guys and/or give him time to bleed out.
Maybe repeat the test but first slather your knife hand in coconut oil, crisco, or vaseline. I was taught to expect to fight after I am soaked in blood.
This is how I was taught to test a kbit by a PI marine NCO. It shows you, on a tactile level how your blade will grip, how the edges and tip might deform or get stuck, and how it feels to not just cut but wrench that claw around along the varis axis (axises???)

I mention this because it changed my thinking more than blade tests from other sources.

Well I'm not a combat vet but if I hear Tagalog or Ilocano for a few hours it starts to come back to me. So I've spoken to a few Filipinos who are extremely familiar with kbits, moreso than most people who have not trained extensively with this particular knife.
If you can sharpen it well, your knife is probably at least average compared to kbits carried by people who have carried and trained with them since childhood.

Get a rack of pork or beef ribs and secure it to a sandbag. Take your kbit and stab it through. Scrape the blade along a hard edge. Gouge and twist around as you scrape to simulate the way the k ife could be stressed as your opponents throw whatever surprises they can at you. Do it again, faster. Again, faster. Keep it up as fast as you can for at least five minutes. The mentality I was taught was always defensive - one versus 3 at a time. So stick your blade in and scrape it along something hard, then get away to either deal with the other bad guys and/or give him time to bleed out.
Maybe repeat the test but first slather your knife hand in coconut oil, crisco, or vaseline. I was taught to expect to fight after I am soaked in blood.
This is how I was taught to test a kbit by a PI marine NCO. It shows you, on a tactile level how your blade will grip, how the edges and tip might deform or get stuck, and how it feels to not just cut but wrench that claw around along the varis axis (axises???)

I mention this because it changed my thinking more than blade tests from other sources.

I became familiar with Karambit knives training while learning Krav Maga. I had seen them like most people and had never seen one that was made well up until that point. One of the instructors was extremely good with one. Krav ( not so much in the US modified version) is an explosive aggressive fluid discipline. When you add a blade designed like the Karambit it just seems to work well together. Much like anything you must practice and try to work on the things that are unexpected. I shoot quite a bit of wild boar and during October November December and Jan. ( the only months cool enough to harvest meat) we shoot enough of them that we just pull the back straps and loins. I will hang a pig and practice knife work much like you describe. I tend to use medium sized hogs just because they are easier to hoist and when finished easier to haul away. The skin and muscle density is very close to human and I find I can take my time to work slow and make sure everything I’m doing is correct. I train in all tactics with the belief that slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I became familiar with Karambit knives training while learning Krav Maga. I had seen them like most people and had never seen one that was made well up until that point. One of the instructors was extremely good with one. Krav ( not so much in the US modified version) is an explosive aggressive fluid discipline. When you add a blade designed like the Karambit it just seems to work well together. Much like anything you must practice and try to work on the things that are unexpected. I shoot quite a bit of wild boar and during October November December and Jan. ( the only months cool enough to harvest meat) we shoot enough of them that we just pull the back straps and loins. I will hang a pig and practice knife work much like you describe. I tend to use medium sized hogs just because they are easier to hoist and when finished easier to haul away. The skin and muscle density is very close to human and I find I can take my time to work slow and make sure everything I’m doing is correct. I train in all tactics with the belief that slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
Awesome intel! Thank You Sir!--:)--KV

Did you know I have never owned a Cold Steel knife? I took the owners son in law Hog Hunting on a guided hunt he was really nice. I should break down and buy a couple and test them out. Do they hold an edge well?

Shame on you. Choke yourself, and go buy one.

My drinking buddy in Lapu-Lapu City was a local plain clothes policeman known for hard core badassedness. When some of my fellow American friends begged for martial arts training he agreed. He gave one a stick and told him use it as a knife. Before he could strike Gerardo had pulled his snub nose thirty-eight and had it aimed at the end of his nose. "Fight over!"

My drinking buddy in Lapu-Lapu City was a local plain clothes policeman known for hard core badassedness. When some of my fellow American friends begged for martial arts training he agreed. He gave one a stick and told him use it as a knife. Before he could strike Gerardo had pulled his snub nose thirty-eight and had it aimed at the end of his nose. "Fight over!"
Like this?
pd58Exc.gif

:rolleyes: Dumb , fat and happy . Disrespect the knife to your own detriment !

It's in "close quarters" that the blade is superior . Much harder to disarm or hold off a DE fighting knife than any firearm , and most people who CC have no training / practice with gun retention . Many have no real skill at hand to hand combat whatever .

The gun is great at a distance . Not so much once " in the clinch " .

Lots of cops have been disarmed and sometimes even shot with their own guns . So , better methods of gun retention were developed . Some of those techniques involve using a knife to "protect" the gun ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:rolleyes: Dumb , fat and happy . Disrespect the knife to your own detriment !

It's in "close quarters" that the blade is superior . Much harder to disarm or hold off a DE fighting knife than any firearm , and most people who CC have no training / practice with gun retention . Many have no real skill at hand to hand combat whatever .

The gun is great at a distance . Not so much once " in the clinch " .

Lots of cops have been disarmed and sometimes even shot with their own guns . So , better methods of gun retention were developed . Some of those techniques involve using a knife to "protect" the gun ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
If you have a pistol then the "close quarters" shouldn't happen. I'll take a .38 snubbie over a blade "in the clinch" all day long. To say that a blade is superior over a firearm in any S.D. situation is arguable at best and this has been proven by professionals numerous times and they weren't dumb or fat. Maybe happy that they had a pistol instead of a knife.--KV

There are many “tactical” classes that teach you how to do all that high speed stuff. Just like this guy.....

There are many “tactical” classes that teach you how to do all that high speed stuff. Just like this guy.....

Darwin is very unforgiving, to those unable to properly handle a sidearm and those who bring a knife to a gun fight.

Fat dumb and happy... Gents I consider myself all three and therefore, if my dumbness ever gets me in a situation I have to resolve with a gunfight I do hope I have a knife.
I drove a cab for four years. The self defense scenario I trained for happened to a coworker: had his hands full of luggage and three 'customers' drew firearms. No choices he would have made differently in hindsight. Then he was struck on the back of the head, his wrists were taped, he was robbed and they drove the cab away.
So yes I'm dumb enough to let somebody get me in a clinch or injure me before I pull a gun.
Also I did spar with a few friends, one was law enforcement and also worked as a BJJ instructor, using airsoft pistol and trainer blades.
Now I grant that a lot of criminals are just not real bright but there's an awful lot of scenarios where, if you need a gun in one hand, it sure is nice to have a knife in the other. That's if you're fat dumb and happy like me.
Back at the topic though - PMCSoldier I hear you about practicing smooth and correct techniques.
However as an alternative thought. Train for that, yes. Test your blade for harder use, ie incorrect hasty techniques. Hope you never have to abuse it that way, maybe after receiving concussions and broken ribs, or a club to the bones of the hand and forearm.
To your point though - I was emphatically told I was not being trained to fight, I was being trained to survive. But that's what I believe kbits excel at, survival rather than art.

Don't expect the experienced mugger to give you any warning or reason / justification to draw your gun prior to striking . Real world predatory criminals don't do a cute "sword dance " for you while standing at a convenience range to be shot down . :rolleyes:

They often operate in teams , and use every possible means of stealth and ruse / distraction to get in close without alarming the victim(s) . They understand that victims might be armed and need to be taken by surprise . Strike brutally , disarm , rob , depart .

Just maintaining "situational awareness " and "avoidance" (not hanging around bad stupid people in bad stupid places) , probably is more valuable than any weapon or fighting skills . :cool:

Still , if you every do get in a physical contest over possession of a gun ...it can really help to have a knife . YMMV ;):thumbsup:

Back