A smaller ZT

Would you buy a small ZT/ Kershaw in the ZT 0550 price and quality range?

• Yes! I would have no problem spending $200 to $300 on such a knife.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only if it was less expensive ($100-$199)

• No, the only premium KAI products i want are knives built like the current ZT line (tanks)

• No, I wouldn't purchase any high priced KAI knives

• Total voters
I like the tanks - but I also would be in for a smaller ZT -

I also understand that there is not a lot of savings in making a smaller knife to the same quality and material standard as a larger knife.

Simply stated, it costs just as much to make a 3" folder using premium materials as it does to make a 4" folder.

best

mqqn

I don't understand what you guys are looking for. Doesn't the 0350 and the 0550 cover these bases? Kershaw makes plenty of knives in smaller sizes which gives ZT the green light to cover big tough blades. Zero Tolerance's motto is "Serious knives for serious missions". This motto doesn't scream small blade to me. If you start making smaller knives you are going to sacrifice toughness.

So do you guys really just want a smaller version of the 0560?

Well stated Tony. I don't get it either.

Yeppppppppp!!

So it's not a smaller line of ZTs you want, it's just a scaled down 0561. It may happen. That's how the 0350 came about. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

I just don't see the point of small ZTs when Kershaw covers that side of things.

Exactly!!!! A 3.25" 0560 would be absolutely ideal. I want zt design/materials/build quality and I like a stout knife but really don't need anything larger than 3-3.25" in a pocket knife. I carry a 0350 as part of my work rotation, and unassisted(I really dislike AO), it is an excellent edc knife, but the wide profile and chunky weight leave something to be desired. A smaller, more pocket friendly kvt flipper knife with a weight in the 3-4 ounce range would be pretty slick IMHO.

Exactly!!!! A 3.25" 0560 would be absolutely ideal. I want zt design/materials/build quality and I like a stout knife but really don't need anything larger than 3-3.25" in a pocket knife. I carry a 0350 as part of my work rotation, and unassisted(I really dislike AO), it is an excellent edc knife, but the wide profile and chunky weight leave something to be desired. A smaller, more pocket friendly kvt flipper knife with a weight in the 3-4 ounce range would be pretty slick IMHO.

I do not disagree. A smaller 0560 would be nice. Who knows, it may happen in the future.

I'm just saying that there are so many other knives to choose from not only in the Kershaw lineup, but in the entire knife world. ZT seperates itself by offering tough and heavy duty designs throughout the lineup. A 3" 0560 would be more along the lines of a Kershaw folder and not a ZT folder.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for high end Kershaws that are smaller in size. I've always wanted to see a high end Blur and I would love another high end Leek with a Ti frame and a new super steel. Infact, I'd like to see that entire lineup (Chive, Scallion, Leek, Shallot) done up with Ti frames and super steels. I love my Ti/ZDP Mini Cyclone! I just don't think ZT should mess with the formula that has made them so successful.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for high end Kershaws

This would be fine as well, I really could care less which name is on the blade, it just so happens that most of the designs put out by KAI that appeal to me are ZTs. The only problem is they are just a little too large for me to carry practically. Heck, the cryo 2 looks basically exactly what I'm after design wise (Hinderer flipper, 3.25" blade), but I'd like to see a USA made, titanium, kvt manual version with some super steel (m390 would be my preference but zdp-189 seems to be more of Kershaws cup of tea). A m390 leek with a Ti frame lock and a cf opposite scale would be awesome as well. I would pay zt prices for knives like that, regardless of the ZT name.

3 inch ZT, would open up ALOT of doors for those with 3 inch legal EDC requirements. Just saying.

I think some of you are missing the point. while kershaw has a range of smaller knives they don't have any that have the same quality of construction and materials that the ZT line does. Name me 2 kershaw knives that hold up against a 0550/0560 on the quality front. To start, I want to see a titanium framelock in a pocketable size with something like s35vn. I don't much care if it has the ZT on it.

Give me:
Blade shape of the 0551 or 0560
3" Thinner blade in good steel - Doesn't have to be Elmax - s30v or s35vn works for me.
Ti frame lock - Thinner stock than the 0551 kind of similar to the Spyderco Chokwe.
Blue grooved G-10 - Like the G-10 of the 0560.
Low rider clip - Maybe ti and blued?
A flipper would be great but isn't a must have... though I would love one.
Blued thumb studs? That would look nice.
Stonewashed blade and ti.

And yeah that about covers it.

I posed this question today in the ZT forum, and Thomas confirmed there are currently no plans for a smaller 0561...I would buy one in a heartbeat as others have suggested.

My hope is the Cryo II will fill the gap, and that they may offer an upgraded version with G10 scales and S30v or S35V steel.

I think some of you are missing the point. while kershaw has a range of smaller knives they don't have any that have the same quality of construction and materials that the ZT line does. Name me 2 kershaw knives that hold up against a 0550/0560 on the quality front. To start, I want to see a titanium framelock in a pocketable size with something like s35vn. I don't much care if it has the ZT on it.

Ti/ZDP-189 Leek
Ti/ZDP-189 Cyclone
S30V/G-10 Leek -- not a Ti framelock
440V Whisper -- not a Ti framelock, but does have a Ti handle with a one of a kind lock
S30V Ti Bump

For those that want something larger than a 3.5" blade...

Ti/SG2 JYDII
Ti/CPM D2 Tyrade
Speedform
Volt
Tilt

The ZDP-189 and the S110V Shallots are pretty badass as well. The handles may not be Ti, but the blade steels more than make up for that.

These knives may not be the easiest to find, but if you hunt you can find what you're looking for.

Ti/ZDP-189 Leek
Ti/ZDP-189 Cyclone
S30V/G-10 Leek -- not a Ti framelock
440V Whisper -- not a Ti framelock, but does have a Ti handle with a one of a kind lock
S30V Ti Bump

For those that want something larger than a 3.5" blade...

Ti/SG2 JYDII
Ti/CPM D2 Tyrade
Speedform
Volt
Tilt

The ZDP-189 and the S110V Shallots are pretty badass as well. The handles may not be Ti, but the blade steels more than make up for that.

These knives may not be the easiest to find, but if you hunt you can find what you're looking for.

I currently have the Leek and have had the Bump. While they are good knives they simply are not as heavy duty as ZT knives. While it's true that there are options from other companies I really like ZT. I currently have the 301, 300, 350, 200, 550/551 and 560 so I do really like them. But I do travel to many areas that restrict blade length. I currently use either a Strider SJ-75 or Small Sebenza in those areas but would love a 3" version of the 560. Even Hinderer makes a 3" version. Just saying....

I had a 0561 and it was too large for me. Then I bought a 550 and it was also too big to EDC. I loved it's build quality and weight. If it was 20% smaller it would have been perfect. I bought a Jim Burke Runt but would easily have bought a small version of the 560. I like the flipper.

I'd love to see them make a smaller ZT 0560 with a 3" ~ 3.25" blade. Maybe change the texture on the G10 scales, and offer these knives in other colors; like blue or orange.. :)
listen up KAIi!!!!! I WANT THIS KNIFE IN ORNGE!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!! I BEG OF YOU!!!!! :D :jerkit:

I would be happy if they just made a flipper version of the 0550.

I would LOVE to see Kershaw move upmarket a little bit more with their USA products and do what people are asking in this thread. I think they dominate the <$75 and ZT dominates in the 150+ markets. They need something to fill in the middle because there is a lot of good competition between 75-150.

I think they might be inching there because they have a few new Blurs coming out in 154cm.

I don't understand what you guys are looking for. Doesn't the 0350 and the 0550 cover these bases? Kershaw makes plenty of knives in smaller sizes which gives ZT the green light to cover big tough blades. Zero Tolerance's motto is "Serious knives for serious missions". This motto doesn't scream small blade to me. If you start making smaller knives you are going to sacrifice toughness.

Yes, the 0550 is still a very large knife. The 0350 is an entirely different blade shape that is not appealing to me. A small 0550 and 0560 would sell IMO. Like the Strider PT and small Sebenza.

Kershaw makes NICE EDC Knives. (Tilt, Speedform, Volt I)

Kershaw=EDC/Daily Use (Love my Shallot. It was my first non-mall ninja production folder)
ZT=Hard Use Tank-Like Knives (I've pried nails out of 2x4's with my 0301)

I know not all the knives under these 2 brands fit these rigid profiles, and I'm sure a bunch of you will disagree, but IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Back