a thread about folding knives

I just read through the whole thread, and this stuck out:

Yes, I can buy a replacement CRK clip and screw for $15. This is a massive advantage. I can also bend, rebend, adjust, and generally fuck up my clip without worrying too much. A replacement clip for a Shiro costs a lot more and doesn't work as well.

Aesthetically I agree, it does look "nicer."

If there's a CPK folder, I hope they consider the CRK clip since it's (1) proven; (2) used by other makers already; (3) cheap. Offer a milled clip option for those that really need the aesthetic, but I'll take a stamped bent clip for usability every day of the week.

the bit about the clip is a super good call out. Tough call. I had blown through many a clip on my edc. They need to be bendable at the “hinge” so they can fit over pockets but still make the clip tight once in place.

In addition my thoughts on a folder are:
1. 4 inches, no more no less. This is a must.
2. Blade Thickness is key. It’s CPK so it’s not going to be paper thin but at the same time I don’t want or need a folding chopper. Really.
3. I love flippers. None of that assisted crap though.
4. People seem to need 3 different bearing options, I think this is rediculous and just want one very smooth one, probably ball or roller bearing. No bushings. Not a slip joint please.
5. Overall frame + scales thickness is also key. I don’t want to feel it when I sit down. Scales should be thin but slightly rounded.
6. Overall ergonomics...probably the hardest part to get right. Many current folders have an interesting offset of the blade from the handle. I have yet to try one but I like the idea. I do a lot of slicing and don’t want my knuckles dragging.

Im sure I’ll keep adding to and editing this.

I'm very active on the Spyderco forum and have been pushing for 3V, 4V, and Cruwear folders over there for a few years now. I will definitely be in for a 3V CPK FK2-esque folder. Unbuffed micarta scales and a strong backlock would be perfect for me. I have been carrying my Cruwear Delica and now Cruwear Shaman lately. Interested to see what Nathan comes up with.

I can relate to Josh K’s small, thin folder thoughts. That’s certainly where I lean. I’ve never been drawn to super beefy folders. If I need that level of strength, which usually centers around tip integrity, I’m going fixed blade.

I mean look at this tank for example.
This is a non-CPK version of a folding EDC, basically. It’s actually THICKER! Of course you gain compactness for giving up some strength. I get it.
But but...

The EDC is a pocket friendly fixed blade that is virtually unbreakable! What more could you want?!

To conclude my babbling, it would still be hard to resist a CPK folder. Because I have a weakness for CPK. And 3V. And Cruwear. And micarta. And knives. :cool:

IDZRQPZl.jpg

1zeROnul.jpg

mb> mb> , what we really need is for Nathan to do a collaboration with Spyderco to create a Micarta Shaman with a Delta 3V blade!

You think the Cruwear Micarta Shaman is causing a frenzy?? What do you think a Delta 3V Shaman with OD Green Micarta would do?? Probably break the internet! :eek:

As it happens Nathan still seems to judge most folders against the Sebenza in terms of a simple and very efficient construction. IIRC, Mr. Carothers has been carrying CRKs for many many years, both Manadi and the Sebbie. He also acknowledges the Achilles heel of the CRK brand so I’m quite optimistic that although the first CPK-Folder will be inspired by Chris Reeve’s Sebenza mechanically, it will benefit from the kinda steel and HT that CPK leaves those other folder makers in the dust.

Bottomline: the first CPK folder may not win many congeniality awards but it will smoke ‘em when It comes to what knives are supposed to do ;)

Intrigued by the statement in bold... Particularly on his mnandi use and thoughts. Just never pictured Mr. Delta 3v fixed blade with something this (as some would say) "dainty". Even though when directly compared to some slip-joints is quite beefy. Would CPK possibly eventually consider something in this realm? Lately I've been gravitating to smaller lighter thinner slicers for daily use.

Intrigued by the statement in bold... Particularly on his mnandi use and thoughts. Just never pictured Mr. Delta 3v fixed blade with something this (as some would say) "dainty". Even though when directly compared to some slip-joints is quite beefy. Would CPK possibly eventually consider something in this realm? Lately I've been gravitating to smaller lighter thinner slicers for daily use.

There is a photo from a very long time ago, when Nathan was unveiling the proto-BC for the first time and there it was, his Manandi laying next to that BC for size/scale :)

As of two days ago I decided I'm not purchasing anymore folders. I only have a few and I rarely use them. I am EDCing pocket sized fixed blades. Thus, as opposed to or in addition to, I would humbly suggest a CPK offering in this genre.

I will do that for you.

I can relate to Josh K’s small, thin folder thoughts. That’s certainly where I lean. I’ve never been drawn to super beefy folders. If I need that level of strength, which usually centers around tip integrity, I’m going fixed blade.

This is a non-CPK version of a folding EDC, basically. It’s actually THICKER! Of course you gain compactness for giving up some strength. I get it.
But but...

The EDC is a pocket friendly fixed blade that is virtually unbreakable! What more could you want?!

To conclude my babbling, it would still be hard to resist a CPK folder. Because I have a weakness for CPK. And 3V. And Cruwear. And micarta. And knives. :cool:

IDZRQPZl.jpg

1zeROnul.jpg

Mark, is that micarta really grippy?

Mark, is that micarta really grippy?

I was thinking the other day it felt a little slick Mat. But I just compared it to my unbuffed EDC2 micarta. It’s slightly coarser in texture on the flats than the EDC. I’d say grip is about the same.

I think part of my perception of slick is the tapered butt. That feature just makes for a less secure feeling grip in general. Sort of like the UF. Not nearly as bad as the Yojimbo 2.

But “grippy” is subjective, right? Take your thumb print and push into the side of a micarta scale. Press down hard and slide your thumb along. Now do that on your smooth G10 Junction. Everyone complains about that smooth G10, but I think you’ll find it offers more friction in this thumb test than unbuffed micarta.

All that said, micarta is one of my favorite handle materials for the balance of properties it has. :)

Aaaand (and I’ll stop), if you sink your index finger into that big choil grip, you could put eel snot on the handle and still have a solid grip. I don’t typically use that grip, but I did a little cutting the other night and it worked really well. This knife seems especially suited for it.

Some interesting observations in this thread on the Shaman micarta:
https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85070

This is why I picked up another EDC. It’s hard to beat the cutting performance of a thinner blade, and if I’m mucking around at the shop it’s more reasonable than a folder. I had no idea the Shaman was that thick.

But most days an Impinda or Small 21 is perfect, and I don’t see a lot of competition among established makers in the 3” range, never mind under 4”. I say this not to dissuade plans, but to point out, maybe repetitively, that a compliment to a quality fixed blade is often a smaller folder :D

Sorry little late to the party:)
D2 or D3V, (AEB-L?)
Washers, framelock, thumbstuds, Casey Lynch Clip (or hole pattern that would accept)
3.5-3.75, 1/8-3/16 FFG
More on the slicey side but would be happy with robust.
Regardless I bet it's gonna be great.
Cheers

Back