Photos A Walk in Nature

Dan, your trip photos make me so jealous. 🤠 :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend :)

After Dan adopts me, we're going to go on trips like that all the time! :D ;) :thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::cool: I am still smiling/laughing about this one lol :thumbsup:

Dan - don't leave home without these. They are part of my EDC now and I couldn't have spent better money.

The pliers - not the knife - though that is a particular great EDC too from @Redmeadow Knives.

Here is a link for more and more info. KNIPEX XS COBRA
View attachment 1618141

Gracias Ray and Thank you ! :) :thumbsup:
I checked out that thread and then several reviews on it and before I knew it I found out that they will be here at my house next week :thumbsup::cool:
So looking forward to check them out, carry them and finding ways to put them to good use :thumbsup:
They look impressively well built !

Your Black Locust bowls that I've seen pics of are another story, quite beautiful.:thumbsup:
Gracias Greg :)
Had a little visitor this morning. 😊 He won’t go away, he’s actually still on my hand as I’m typing this, curious little fellow! I know it’s just a butterfly CelloDan CelloDan CelloDan CelloDan , but aren’t you proud of me!😂😂😂

COOL pic my friend ! :cool::thumbsup:
I am VERY proud of you ;)

I'll be working on part 3 for the second day of my trip in the next while that you won't want to miss lol :D

CF0C8DA2-005B-479F-B849-CC7AEB035505.jpeg
Nice job, Todd... that is a very Dan-esque picture. 🤠 :thumbsup:

Saturday, day 2: From Colonel By Island to Kilmarnock ( 40 km )

Part 3 🌧️

So after the motor issue I had at Poonamalie I was able to get going again and soon after I arrived at the city of Smith Falls at about 1:15 pm.
The Smith Falls Detached lock is just beyond the bridge.

tnCacrS.jpg

It was VERY hot and humid. I debated whether to continue on my journey or rest a little and grab something to eat.
The first lock is adjacent to the main city street and I could see all kinds of stores from where I was.

I decided to take it easy and walked to a Canadian Tire store a couple blocks away to buy a gas canister for my stove as I thought I may not have enough with me.

Canadian Tire stores are very ... Canadian :) 🇨🇦 ( this pic was taken much later in the narrative though ... looking at ground will give some clues ;))

bINRHip.jpg

So I got the gas and then I went by the raincoat section to look at what was available. There were so many and in different price ranges that I soon became a little overwhelmed and decided to just go back to Esperanza.

"What's a little summer thunderstorm anyway" I thought, "It's so hot I would probably just enjoy the rain for a little while and it will dry off in no time".
I knew they were calling for a 60 % chance of thunderstorms.
I also thought about getting 10 mm socket wrench or good pliers but did not.

On my way back I went by a KFC and got me some chicken tenders and a coke ( I had not eaten KFC in like 15 years ).

As I arrived at Esperanza, drops of rain started falling so I quickly covered my cargo with a blue tarp and went under a nearby tree to eat my lunch.

qfXhgJe.jpg

G4uYoRd.jpg

I had not even had time to finish the second tender when the floodgates of heaven opened up and started coming down hard.

TBUEzVW.jpg

The house boat in the above picture caught my attention and I had to take a pic in the middle of the downpour ( I later found out that it costs like
$ 110,000. CAD )

BTW the chicken tenders were SO SALTY and greasy :thumbsdown:, I could not finish them.
My fried bass/blue gills are 100 times better :thumbsup: :cool:

So by this time I was totally drenched and after hearing some explosive thunder decided that it was not wise to be standing under a tree so I went back to the KFC store. It rained so hard and it lasted for almost an hour.
I went to the bathroom and squeezed my clothes as dry as I could and tried to dry them in the hand dryer.

When it finally stopped I went back to Esperanza

ilTaGVc.jpg

I bailed out the water and then it started raining again ⛈️ so back to KFC I went and tried drying my clothes AGAIN the best I could as I got soaking wet AGAIN .

After 45 min or so it stopped raining so back I went to bail Esperanza ... again.

It was then that I noticed a rabbit in the water, desperately trying to swim and unable to climb the rock walls of the docks.
I pulled out an oar and tried to help it but every time it would fall out of the oar back into the water just as I was about to get him to the top. A couple times it sank and stopped struggling before resurfacing a few seconds later.

Finally it swam towards Esperanza and I was able to "wedge" it between the boat and the dock walls and slowly lifted it up and put it on the ground.
It must have been in shock because it did not move for a little while. I was afraid it would run back into the water but finally with a little nudge from the oar it scampered off to safety :)

XulFZzV.png

At this point it started raining AGAIN ⛈️o_O

This time I ran off to a McDonalds and had a coffee and a donut ( and attempted to dry my clothes YET again in the bathroom LOL)
When it finally stopped I went back to the lock, not realizing that I was forgetting my precious straw hat behind :(.

As I arrived the attendant told me that they had closed the lock after the basin as the lockmaster had to leave to attend to and correct the water levels at a dam one hour drive away. He said he could not tell me if they were going to open it that day.

My heart sank :(
I decided to wait and see and go for a walk in the meantime to take pictures of the locks, basin etc.

If they did not reopen I was going back to Poonamalie ... NO WAY I was camping in the middle of the city ( with only a porta potty for a bathroom vs the nice bathroom in Poonamalie where I could wash up :) )

So off for a walk I went.
There are two locks at Smith Falls with a huge basin in between them where there is a marina and boat rentals ( big ones to cruise the Rideau )

h63meCK.jpg

The way out of Smith Falls after the second lock.

96u8obY.jpg

Dam

CR4Znm4.jpg

3XJtU4e.jpg

Basin

tZCsgDR.jpg

So after my walk I went back to Canadian Tire and took my sweet little time buying me the best raincoat and rain pants I could find 😁.
I also grabbed a set of wrenches 😎

I went back to the lock and as I arrived a boat owner nearby told me the lock attendant was looking for me just 15 min before as they had opened the locks.

YEAH, I was on may way again :thumbsup::)
The attendant phoned the lock after the basin and the one after that ( only 1 km away ) to coordinate my passage as it was likely the last one for the day.

In the basin ( can you spot my new rain gear ? :p )

edffNJe.jpg

znAivMt.jpg

Arriving at the lock on the other side.
This a huge, modernized (hydraulic) lock that was built to replace 3 locks just beside it. It's called "Combined"

kf5ktI6.jpg

jHpgmgN.jpg

c18v76T.jpg

YEAH, I AM FREE. BYE BYE SMITH FALLS 👋 :)

6:03 pm ( is getting a bit late now though )

Eq7OBNH.jpg

( to be continued lol )

Last edited:

Part 3 🌧️

So after the motor issue I had at Poonamalie I was able to get going again and soon after I arrived at the city of Smith Falls at about 1:15 pm.
The Smith Falls Detached lock is just beyond the bridge.

tnCacrS.jpg

It was VERY hot and humid. I debated whether to continue on my journey or rest a little and grab something to eat.
The first lock is adjacent to the main city street and I could see all kinds of stores from where I was.

I decided to take it easy and walked to a Canadian Tire store a couple blocks away to buy a gas canister for my stove as I thought I may not have enough with me.

Canadian Tire stores are very ... Canadian :) 🇨🇦 ( this pic was taken much later in the narrative though ... looking at ground will give some clues ;))

bINRHip.jpg

So I got the gas and then I went by the raincoat section to look at what was available. There were so many and in different price ranges that I soon became a little overwhelmed and decided to just go back to Esperanza.

"What's a little summer thunderstorm anyway" I thought, "It's so hot I would probably just enjoy the rain for a little while and it will dry off in no time".
I knew they were calling for a 60 % chance of thunderstorms.
I also thought about getting 10 mm socket wrench or good pliers but did not.

On my way back I went by a KFC and got me some chicken tenders and a coke ( I had not eaten KFC in like 15 years ).

As I arrived at Esperanza, drops of rain started falling so I quickly covered my cargo with a blue tarp and went under a nearby tree to eat my lunch.

qfXhgJe.jpg

G4uYoRd.jpg

I had not even had time to finish the second tender when the floodgates of heaven opened up and started coming down hard.

TBUEzVW.jpg

The house boat in the above picture caught my attention and I had to take a pic in the middle of the downpour ( I later found out that it costs like
$ 110,000. CAD )

BTW the chicken tenders were SO SALTY and greasy :thumbsdown:, I could not finish them.
My fried bass/blue gills are 100 times better :thumbsup: :cool:

So by this time I was totally drenched and after hearing some explosive thunder decided that it was not wise to be standing under a tree so I went back to the KFC store. It rained so hard and it lasted for almost an hour.
I went to the bathroom and squeezed my clothes as dry as I could and tried to dry them in the hand dryer.

When it finally stopped I went back to Esperanza

ilTaGVc.jpg

I bailed out the water and then it started raining again ⛈️ so back to KFC I went and tried drying my clothes AGAIN the best I could as I got soaking wet AGAIN .

After 45 min or so it stopped raining so back I went to bail Esperanza ... again.

It was then that I noticed a rabbit in the water, desperately trying to swim and unable to climb the rock walls of the docks.
I pulled out an oar and tried to help it but every time it would fall out of the oar back into the water just as I was about to get him to the top. A couple times it sank and stopped struggling before resurfacing a few seconds later.

Finally it swam towards Esperanza and I was able to "wedge" it between the boat and the dock walls and slowly lifted it up and put it on the ground.
It must have been in shock because it did not move for a little while. I was afraid it would run back into the water but finally with a little nudge from the oar it scampered off to safety :)

XulFZzV.png

At this point it started raining AGAIN ⛈️o_O

This time I ran off to a McDonalds and had a coffee and a donut ( and attempted to dry my clothes YET again in the bathroom LOL)
When it finally stopped I went back to the lock, not realizing that I was forgetting my precious straw hat behind :(.

As I arrived the attendant told me that they had closed the lock after the basin as the lockmaster had to leave to attend to and correct the water levels at a dam one hour drive away. He said he could not tell me if they were going to open it that day.

My heart sank :(
I decided to wait and see and go for a walk in the meantime to take pictures of the locks, basin etc.

If they did not reopen I was going back to Poonamalie ... NO WAY I was camping in the middle of the city ( with only a porta potty for a bathroom vs the nice bathroom in Poonamalie where I could wash up :) )

So off for a walk I went.
There are two locks at Smith Falls with a huge basin in between them where there is a marina and boat rentals ( big ones to cruise the Rideau )

h63meCK.jpg

The way out of Smith Falls after the second lock.

96u8obY.jpg

Dam

CR4Znm4.jpg

3XJtU4e.jpg

Basin

tZCsgDR.jpg

So after my walk I went back to Canadian Tire and took my sweet little time buying me the best raincoat and rain pants I could find 😁.
I also grabbed a set of wrenches 😎

I went back to the lock and as I arrived a boat owner nearby told me the lock attendant was looking for me just 15 min before as they had opened the locks.

YEAH, I was on may way again :thumbsup::)
The attendant phoned the lock after the basin and the one after that ( only 1 km away ) to coordinate my passage as it was likely the last one for the day.

In the basin ( can you spot my new rain gear ? :p )

edffNJe.jpg

znAivMt.jpg

Arriving at the lock on the other side.
This a huge, modernized (hydraulic) lock that was built to replace 3 locks just beside it. It's called "Combined"

kf5ktI6.jpg

jHpgmgN.jpg

c18v76T.jpg

YEAH, I AM FREE. BYE BYE SMITH FALLS 👋 :)

6:03 pm ( is getting a bit late now though )

Eq7OBNH.jpg

( to be continued lol )
Wow, what a story Dan! Glad you made it through, and I agree with you about the KFC! 👍

He said "DAM" :rolleyes: - probably more than once through that afternoon. 🤔 You could have just let it rain on your KFC and washed off all that salt and grease. I bet they would have remained crispy. :) That poor little bunny was probably blinded by the rain too and fell off the invisible edge into the canal. But Dr. Doolittle Dan saved the creature and all the world came back together right for him (and bunny). :cool:

I'm having fun with you Dan. Nice and dry though...

Thanks for sharing.

Had a little visitor this morning. 😊 He won’t go away, he’s actually still on my hand as I’m typing this, curious little fellow! I know it’s just a butterfly CelloDan CelloDan , but aren’t you proud of me!😂😂😂
View attachment 1618391
Well done Todd :cool: :thumbsup:
:D:thumbsup::cool: I am still smiling/laughing about this one lol :thumbsup:
Thanks Dad! :D ;) :thumbsup:
Poor Runny Babbit... he looks soaked.
Your rain pictures won't sway Jack from getting adopted, he's used to that kind of weather.
My first thought on seeing that rain, was 'That's Yorkshire weather'! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

I'm really enjoying your adventures CelloDan CelloDan , no wonder the animals love you so much :) I hope you managed to get your hat back buddy :thumbsup:

They were driving cattle down my road this morning. Lot of mooing and a heck of a racket. This happens frequently around here. Either moving cattle up to or down from the National Forest or just moving them from pasture to pasture. This is a picture of the end/drag of the drive. Note the youngster on the white horse and the cattle dog just off the road in the sage brush under the brown horses hooves.

1628870807802.png

Last edited:

Part 4: or "Are we there yet ? :D

Thanks folks for kindly coming along with me on this adventure :)
Let's wrap up this day very long day, shall we ? :)

So after finally leaving Smith Falls I navigated a little more than a kilometer to the Old Slys Lockstation, a double lock.

160OVxJ.jpg

The next lock was Edmonds, about 3 km from Old Slys.

I had told the lock master and attendants at Smith Falls and Old Slys that I would be stopping at Edmonds to camp for the night since it was getting a bit late in the day.

When I got to Edmonds the lock master informs me that they did not have washrooms, just a porta potty and told me I could continue on to Kilmarnock if I wanted, about 8 km away.
There would be nobody at Kilmarnock by the time I got there but camping upstream from the lock was very nice and they had nice bathrooms too lol.

I had set out initially that morning to reach Kilmarnock and I was still in time to make it before sunset so I waved good by to the lock master and continued on .

It was a pleasurable ride through vast flooded plains and marshlands. I had to stick to the marked canal as tall weeds were everywhere else just a few inches below the surface.

wb71gIZ.jpg

7:10 pm

32QoK4m.jpg

7:30 pm

I finally see the entrance to the channel that will lead me to the lock station (visible at the far left corner of this pic )

t8HokLV.jpg

I turned around into the setting sun and was treated to a vista that I will treasure. A treat after such a long day :)

D1YJrTA.jpg

cesq5xZ.jpg

I soon arrived to find a very nice spot to set up camp :thumbsup::)

As I removed the blue tarp I found out that my sleeping bag was the main casualty of the torrential downpour. It's bag and the tarp had done nothing to prevent it from soaking up a very large amount of water. It weighted a ton 😮
My sleeping mat was a bit wet on the outside but since it was rolled up it was ok inside.
The tent was a bit wet too but "livable" lol. Everything else was dry as it was in water proof bags.

I set up camp as fast as I could as the sun was setting and the mosquitoes were out in full force.
I then remembered that I still had the fish that I had caught that morning in the ice cooler. I could not let it go to waste so I cleaned them up while donating some more blood to the mosquitoes and returned the fillets sealed in ziplock bags to the cooler that still had a good amount of ice in it.

Finally I was able to wash up and change clothes and go to bed.
Things were a bit damp inside the tent and the air was still hot and muggy. I also had this nagging cough and phlegm from a cold I had caught a couple days before ( a kind gift from my youngest daughter who caught it at camp lol ) I called my wife and she was in worse shape actually.

After some tossing and turning, laying on a bare mat I finally fell asleep 💤

Lessons learned ;)

1 Do not ever buy KFC again for the rest of you life 🤮
2 Carry a quality set of pliers/wrenches.
3 PROTECT YOUR SLEEPING BAG at all costs from H2O. Tarps are mostly useless in this type of scenario. My wife had actually reminded me that she had put a few big black garbage bags in the back compartment of Esperanza in case I needed them for my stuff and/or to make me a quick rain poncho . It would have been so simple to protect my it and myself with them ... but I forgot I had them :eek:
4 DO NOT LOOSE you hat. This is a totally essential part of equipment when out in the sun for hours on end.
5 If you get a chance to obtain important equipment ACT ON IT . I could have bought the rain gear the first time I was at Canadian Tire.
6 Check the weather more often and be flexible in your plans. I could have camped at Poonamalie as I would have had enough to time to set up and ride out the rain taking a nice nap inside the tent :) ... but as they say " Hindsight is 20/20" right ?
Having said that I am confident that next time I could do quite well in a similar situation by having EVERYTHING in waterproof bags and by wearing rain gear 👍

(to be continued :) )

Beautiful scenery :)

I was drawn to the waynorth lamb on your post Josh :thumbsup::), then as I was admiring the nature shots in Mrsr&T post I see a similar lambsfoot.
I went back and forth comparing both knives, magnified the pics, looked at them again.
It looked like it was the same knife ! How could this be ? I was thinking, the markings are all exactly the same.
Then it hit me :thumbsup:;):cool: ( unless both of you have twin lambs lol )

Lessons learned # 7 - Look back from whence you come, every now and again. ;)

:thumbsup: :) yes, thank you my friend !

Sunday. day 3: From Kilmarnock to Burrits Rapids ( 23 km )

Part 1:
A brand new day ☀️;) !

I got up early as usual on Sunday and went for a walk around the area. An early morning fog was still hovering around resisting the advances of the rising sun.

I was taken by the beauty of this place and the variety of trees and plant life all around me. There were so many shades and tones of green.

HGZrmNS.jpg

BRHRUcg.jpg

Camp at Kilmarnock

mqPFzDK.jpg

L2tY3gl.jpg

Kilmarnock 360 view

I was drawn to the beauty of this example of early 1800's canal engineering.

8jFCXb1.jpg

I packed up camp and got ready to cross the canal as soon as they opened.

Today's journey, although not very long would required going through 7 locks. Three of those seven would be in the small and picturesque village of Merrickville. This very pretty village is filled with various artisan shops and stores that cater to visitors.

So I left Kilmarnock at around 9:30, with remnants of the early morning fog still stubbornly clinging around.
After an hour an a half of navigating through more of vast expanses of flooded plains I arrived at Merrickville

p3mUpIL.jpg

TG1zM24.jpg

While I was waiting to cross the first lock a lady approached me and we talked for a little while. I asked her about the artisan shops. " Oh yes" she said with excitement, " lots of candles and jewelry" ... she looked at me as if waiting for me to participate in her joy but I am afraid my face revealed some disappointment LOL ... I thought " what ? .... no pocket knives ? "

The Merrickville crossing has 3 locks with a channel in between.
I crossed all the way to the other side and went for a walk to take pictures.

Retro boat :) :thumbsup:

m0RBOls.jpg

Swing Bridge

ORnkjTC.jpg

lCCINT3.jpg

On the other side of Merrickville

WclrRF1.jpg

I also went for a little walk around town, bought some ice, an ice-cream and a bag of their famous Sea Salted Caramels :thumbsup:
I had actually heard on the radio a few days before about these famous sweets and was happy to find the store.
It would make the perfect gift for my wife and daughter who would later meet me at Burrits Rapids to graciously hand me a dry sleeping bag, a new hat and towels and stuff :)

I just managed to take a pic with the last one :)

Hb84FSs.jpg

Back