Photos A Walk in Nature

Sunday. day 3: From Kilmarnock to Burrits Rapids ( 23 km )

Part 2:
A brand new day ☀️;) !

From here on it was all smooth "sailing" :)

12:45 pm
F212ugh.jpg

Arriving at Clowes Lock
rYRuruC.jpg

Arriving at Upper Nicholsons

B1MHOF2.jpg

In the channel between Upper and Lower Nicholsons Lock

Lower Nicholsons

tZLBNj1.jpg

Arriving at Burrits Rapids. 2:40 pm

jPgFDvx.jpg

It was exactly at his moment that my wife called me as they were arriving to the lock :).
Burrits Rapids is about a 1:15 hr drive from home.

We exchanged gifts ;) (love you ladies ❤️) and after spending a bit of time together they headed back home.

EuU64VIl.jpg

Hey, I know this boat ! The Kawartha Voyageur an her way back a week after

m8SIzeh.jpg

Found the perfect spot to feature my trusty Pioneer x, JohnDF JohnDF leather pouch and my yerba mate :thumbsup::) ( same spot where a couple months ago I caught " the lunker" :D

1btB3bh.jpg

Also found the perfect spot for Esperanza to spend the night :)

KDR21Q6.jpg

I then fished for while with no much luck, had an evening meal of fried fish " ala Panko" with the fillets I had in the cooler and went to bed early.

I slept so good 😴

Sunday. day 3: From Kilmarnock to Burrits Rapids ( 23 km )

Part 2:
A brand new day ☀️;) !

From here on it was all smooth "sailing" :)

12:45 pm
F212ugh.jpg

Arriving at Clowes Lock
rYRuruC.jpg

Arriving at Upper Nicholsons

B1MHOF2.jpg

In the channel between Upper and Lower Nicholsons Lock

Lower Nicholsons

tZLBNj1.jpg

Arriving at Burrits Rapids. 2:40 pm

jPgFDvx.jpg

It was exactly at his moment that my wife called me as they were arriving to the lock :).
Burrits Rapids is about a 1:15 hr drive from home.

We exchanged gifts ;) (love you ladies ❤️) and after spending a bit of time together they headed back home.

EuU64VIl.jpg

Hey, I know this boat ! The Kawartha Voyageur an her way back a week after

m8SIzeh.jpg

Found the perfect spot to feature my trusty Pioneer x, JohnDF JohnDF leather pouch and my yerba mate :thumbsup::) ( same spot where a couple months ago I caught " the lunker" :D

1btB3bh.jpg

Also found the perfect spot for Esperanza to spend the night :)

KDR21Q6.jpg

I then fished for while with no much luck, had an evening meal of fried fish " ala Panko" with the fillets I had in the cooler and went to bed early.

I slept so good 😴
Great pictures Dan. It’s funny how you never forget the “spots” where you catch a lunker! 😎👍

Monday: From Burrits Rapids to Ottawa ( 55 km )

Let's wrap up this trip, shall we ? :)

It rained for a couple hours early Monday morning however I was snug as a bug inside my little tent :thumbsup:
By 6 am it had completely stopped so I started packing up.

They were calling for a very hot day with heat advisories advising people to stay inside so I wanted to get going as early as possible.
I sure was glad to have a hat again 🤠

As a side note, the straw hats that I love so much are actually from the dollar store o_O ... I know lol.
The thing is is that I have a big head 😮 and those ones are the ones that fit me the best lol🤣, plus they really do a great job in protecting me from the sun while keeping me cool as well.

This week I grabbed me the last 2 they had, probably for the season until next year.

XDw3V5l.jpg

Here is one of the first pics I shared on the Porch a couple years ago for the toting thread :D

"I ain't toting no knife sir "

h8Ke2mBh.jpg

So anyhoo :D

6:00 AM Time to get up.

RVw2JEH.jpg

vev9kGk.jpg

I got on the water around 7:30 am and arrived in Ottawa 8 hours later for a distance of 55 km.
The whole trip down the Rideau River was uneventful and I really enjoyed it .

D8ytIG1.jpg

Between the villages of Kars and Manotick the shores on both sides were completely filled with cottages, many of them with beautiful gardens and very nicely decorated. Some, every now and then were just huge blocks with no taste at all intended to display opulence perhaps but totally lacking in appeal.
Some folks had alternative modes of transportation parked right in their backyards 🛩️

oMV1YYj.jpg

4LrxZ53.jpg

IK9Yzqz.jpg

Long Island, just south of Ottawa

Bb2lqek.jpg

12:10 Arriving at the Long Island Locks ( a set of 3 locks for a drop of 25 feet )
jwHSPlv.jpg

01:05 It took almost an hour to go through. I had been on Esperanza since 7:30 that morning so I took the chance to walk around and cool off in the bathrooms which I was very surprised had air conditioning.

ktoWvf8.jpg

Vimy Memorial Bridge named after the Battle of Vimy Ridge in WW1

csGhpXl.jpg

Arriving at Black Rapids Lock, the last one for this trip.
My daughter's piano teacher is 10 min away from here ( I bring her every 2 weeks for lessons ) and yet you would not know you are in Ottawa already by looking around.

e6pCBcR.jpg

Arriving in Ottawa. Mooney's Bay Beach, a good place to be on a day like this one.

dJGksHZ.jpg

The boat's ramp on Mooney's Bay where I concluded this trip :)

KcksSc5.jpg

Thank you folks for coming along :)

Lesson learned:

Time outside in nature does the mind, body and soul a lot of good :thumbsup:
Time to start planning the next adventure :)

Cheers !

Monday: From Burrits Rapids to Ottawa ( 55 km )

Let's wrap up this trip, shall we ? :)

It rained for a couple hours early Monday morning however I was snug as a bug inside my little tent :thumbsup:
By 6 am it had completely stopped so I started packing up.

They were calling for a very hot day with heat advisories advising people to stay inside so I wanted to get going as early as possible.
I sure was glad to have a hat again 🤠

As a side note, the straw hats that I love so much are actually from the dollar store o_O ... I know lol.
The thing is is that I have a big head 😮 and those ones are the ones that fit me the best lol🤣, plus they really do a great job in protecting me from the sun while keeping me cool as well.

This week I grabbed me the last 2 they had, probably for the season until next year.

XDw3V5l.jpg

Here is one of the first pics I shared on the Porch a couple years ago for the toting thread :D

"I ain't toting no knife sir "

h8Ke2mBh.jpg

So anyhoo :D

6:00 AM Time to get up.

RVw2JEH.jpg

vev9kGk.jpg

I got on the water around 7:30 am and arrived in Ottawa 8 hours later for a distance of 55 km.
The whole trip down the Rideau River was uneventful and I really enjoyed it .

D8ytIG1.jpg

Between the villages of Kars and Manotick the shores on both sides were completely filled with cottages, many of them with beautiful gardens and very nicely decorated. Some, every now and then were just huge blocks with no taste at all intended to display opulence perhaps but totally lacking in appeal.
Some folks had alternative modes of transportation parked right in their backyards 🛩️

oMV1YYj.jpg

4LrxZ53.jpg

IK9Yzqz.jpg

Long Island, just south of Ottawa

Bb2lqek.jpg

12:10 Arriving at the Long Island Locks ( a set of 3 locks for a drop of 25 feet )
jwHSPlv.jpg

01:05 It took almost an hour to go through. I had been on Esperanza since 7:30 that morning so I took the chance to walk around and cool off in the bathrooms which I was very surprised had air conditioning.

ktoWvf8.jpg

Vimy Memorial Bridge named after the Battle of Vimy Ridge in WW1

csGhpXl.jpg

Arriving at Black Rapids Lock, the last one for this trip.
My daughter's piano teacher is 10 min away from here ( I bring her every 2 weeks for lessons ) and yet you would not know you are in Ottawa already by looking around.

e6pCBcR.jpg

Arriving in Ottawa. Mooney's Bay Beach, a good place to be on a day like this one.

dJGksHZ.jpg

The boat's ramp on Mooney's Bay where I concluded this trip :)

KcksSc5.jpg

Thank you folks for coming along :)

Lesson learned:

Time outside in nature does the mind, body and soul a lot of good :thumbsup:
Time to start planning the next adventure :)

Cheers !
Awesome Dan, save me a front row seat for the next adventure! 😎👍

Dan, I thoroughly enjoyed your trip. You traveled through some beautiful looking country and provided a great reminder to just get out and enjoy whatever you can, wherever you can. I look forward to your next trip…

Overlooking the Potomac. Not the greatest shot, but this was the first time I deliberately staged a photo with the intent of posting it here.
And to answer your question: walking, bicycling, and some camping these days. I did tons of hiking, boating, and fishing in my youth, but not anymore. I never was a hunter, though I did a lot of shooting.
I think that is a great photo!

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Nicholson's Lock and Burritt's Rapids are my favourite places to fish from shore. Caught lots of fish (smallmouth bass and pike mostly) from the little bridge at Nicholson's over the years. Merrickville is a nice place, a little too "touristy" for me though. Last time I was there was in '16 for the annual car show, however it seems that the organizers cancelled the show after that and '16 was the last year.

An interesting story from my old CB days in the mid 80's. I used to spend a lot of time (too much actually) listening to the CB radio and late one evening overheard a conversation between two lads, one from Kar's and the other guy was from Winchester Springs, talking about fishing on the stretch from Manotick to Kemptville. The guy from Kar's (who apparently was a pro guide) was saying how the Ottawa and the Rideau rivers are some of the best rivers for fresh water fishing in the world. I don't know about that but I have heard that the area around Kar's was one of the best areas for varieties of fish in the Rideau. Must be all those leaky septic tanks from cottages ;)

He said that one fishing trip he was guiding a couple of guys and one of them caught the biggest largemouth bass he had ever seen from those waters. He said the mouth looked as big as a dinner plate. He yelled for a net and before he was able to net it, the bass went ballistic and threw the hook. Before the guy said $##t, the guide's rod almost bent double and after what seemed like an eternity he pulled in a 30+ pound muskie. Had to be a big fish to get a lunker bass to act like that.

Interesting story and I'm not totally sure if it's completely true (they were anglers :)) but there are big fish in the Rideau and very large muskie have been caught in both rivers over the years.

They were driving cattle down my road this morning. Lot of mooing and a heck of a racket. This happens frequently around here. Either moving cattle up to or down from the National Forest or just moving them from pasture to pasture. This is a picture of the end/drag of the drive. Note the youngster on the white horse and the cattle dog just off the road in the sage brush under the brown horses hooves.

View attachment 1618987
Thanks for sharing Ed that is so cool!

Awesome Dan, save me a front row seat for the next adventure! 😎👍
Gracias Todd, will do :thumbsup: :cool:
Dan, I thoroughly enjoyed your trip. You traveled through some beautiful looking country and provided a great reminder to just get out and enjoy whatever you can, wherever you can. I look forward to your next trip
Thank you Jim :)
Thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Nicholson's Lock and Burritt's Rapids are my favourite places to fish from shore. Caught lots of fish (smallmouth bass and pike mostly) from the little bridge at Nicholson's over the years. Merrickville is a nice place, a little too "touristy" for me though. Last time I was there was in '16 for the annual car show, however it seems that the organizers cancelled the show after that and '16 was the last year.

An interesting story from my old CB days in the mid 80's. I used to spend a lot of time (too much actually) listening to the CB radio and late one evening overheard a conversation between two lads, one from Kar's and the other guy was from Winchester Springs, talking about fishing on the stretch from Manotick to Kemptville. The guy from Kar's (who apparently was a pro guide) was saying how the Ottawa and the Rideau rivers are some of the best rivers for fresh water fishing in the world. I don't know about that but I have heard that the area around Kar's was one of the best areas for varieties of fish in the Rideau. Must be all those leaky septic tanks from cottages ;)

He said that one fishing trip he was guiding a couple of guys and one of them caught the biggest largemouth bass he had ever seen from those waters. He said the mouth looked as big as a dinner plate. He yelled for a net and before he was able to net it, the bass went ballistic and threw the hook. Before the guy said $##t, the guide's rod almost bent double and after what seemed like an eternity he pulled in a 30+ pound muskie. Had to be a big fish to get a lunker bass to act like that.

Interesting story and I'm not totally sure if it's completely true (they were anglers :)) but there are big fish in the Rideau and very large muskie have been caught in both rivers over the years.
Hello neighbor 🇨🇦, thank you :)
Cool story and so nice to have a fellow Porch member be so familiar with the places I just travelled trough :)

I took my little bathtub🛀 sailing ⛵ in the Saint Lawrence :cool:

My case sodbuster jr and my treasured leather slip stayed safely on shore though.

Rv1D8ve.jpg

5gKWr6p.jpg

EQjF1Za.jpg

Gracias Todd, will do :thumbsup: :cool:

Thank you Jim :)

Hello neighbor 🇨🇦, thank you :)
Cool story and so nice to have a fellow Porch member be so familiar with the places I just travelled trough :)

I took my little bathtub🛀 sailing ⛵ in the Saint Lawrence :cool:

My case sodbuster jr and my treasured leather slip stayed safely on shore though.

Rv1D8ve.jpg

5gKWr6p.jpg

EQjF1Za.jpg

Dan,

In an other life your name was Jacques Cartier.

tQBdYUl.jpg

Dan.

Dan,

In an other life your name was Jacques Cartier.

tQBdYUl.jpg

Dan.

:thumbsup::cool:😁
Still cracks me up Dan lol
Our sailboat found a new home yesterday. Gonna miss her but we're stepping up work on the kayak so we can get out easier than with the sailboat.
View attachment 1621985View attachment 1621986View attachment 1621987View attachment 1621988View attachment 1621989
So cool guys :thumbsup::cool:
Wish you the best on the build :thumbsup:.
It's very satisfying to get on the water on something that you built !

An invaluable resource that most likely you are aware of is Duckworks.
It was essential for me when I built Esperanza 13 years ago. From supplies, to plans, the their online magazine is the best thing that happened for home boat builders.

--------------------------

Yeah !!!
Today I got my little Knipex Cobra XS pliers :thumbsup::)

My little Honda outboard better behave now ;)

RS4mn7c.jpg

Nice little pliers aren't they? Next you will need a sheath for the Knipex Pliers/Wrench XS 4" (not the Mini. at 5").
I don't think they are available yet but soon, if not already in stores.

Last edited:
Nice little pliers aren't they? Next you will need a sheath for the Knipex Pliers/Wrench XS 4" (not the Mini. at 5").
I don't think they are available yet but soon, if not already in stores.

Yes, I found out about them too :thumbsup::cool:
They said September 2021 release and I am keeping a close eye for those as well. I really want them too :)
I loved the video by Knipex where the airplane mechanic uses them to check all the nuts and bolts in a small plane.

Oh, btw, I thrive in the company of enablers LOL 😁:cool:

Booked the day off for some mid-week hiking (weekends are hectic on the trails out here)! Went for a double today, starting out with an easy hike to Boom Lake, followed by a short hike up to Silverton Falls.

Weather looked like it was going to cooperate today! Rain stopped, smoke from the fires nowhere to be seen. Driving out, we started seeing some low clouds coming over the mountains.

SCC6iZL.jpg

As we got higher up, we ended up in them.

QqJucKP.jpg

In the parking lot heading out, and starting along the trail

NFZ3CfE.jpg

H9VqMzf.jpg

After about a half hour, the clouds started burning off and we were greeted by blue skies :)

PGE7Zkh.jpg

His and her poles on a rest to take off layers as it got warmer.

RFowdoc.jpg

As I took this shot, 10 feet away a pretty big tree fell over, and scared the heck out of us! Thankfully it fell into the forest instead of on the trail (and on us!). Now we know that if a tree falls in the forest and you’re standing beside it, it does indeed make a sound…

Oh, and another 47 in the pocket today :)

dv65byX.jpg

After that, not much to see along the trail until we came out at the lake.

1aGsTWR.jpg

Greeted by a dog swimming around (braver than either of us)

igyNO2w.jpg

NkZoqur.jpg

The lake views were definitely worth the easy hike to get back there!

vf4tFyZ.jpg

Caught Christina staring at the mountains…

j1msiNm.jpg

She caught me doing the same

GYgijPE.jpg

After that, it was a quick walk back to the car, followed by a trip down the highway. Stopped to walk up to Silverton Falls. Was a very short hike, but really neat multi level falls.

XbKI4ka.jpg

Sorry for the shaky video - I had unsteady footing and was trying not to fall over ;) Also a little loud.

Booked the day off for some mid-week hiking (weekends are hectic on the trails out here)! Went for a double today, starting out with an easy hike to Boom Lake, followed by a short hike up to Silverton Falls.

Weather looked like it was going to cooperate today! Rain stopped, smoke from the fires nowhere to be seen. Driving out, we started seeing some low clouds coming over the mountains.

SCC6iZL.jpg

QqJucKP.jpg

NFZ3CfE.jpg

H9VqMzf.jpg

After about a half hour, the clouds started burning off and we were greeted by blue skies :)

PGE7Zkh.jpg

RFowdoc.jpg

As I took this shot, 10 feet away a pretty big tree fell over, and scared the heck out of us! Thankfully it fell into the forest instead of on the trail (and on us!). Now we know that if a tree falls in the forest and you’re standing beside it, it does indeed make a sound…

dv65byX.jpg

1aGsTWR.jpg

igyNO2w.jpg

NkZoqur.jpg

vf4tFyZ.jpg

j1msiNm.jpg

GYgijPE.jpg

After that, it was a quick walk back to the car, followed by a trip down the highway. Stopped to walk up to Silverton Falls. Was a very short hike, but really neat multi level falls.

XbKI4ka.jpg

Sorry for the shaky video - I had unsteady footing and was trying not to fall over ;) Also a little loud.

Wow, beautiful pictures, and that video had me holding on to my chair! 😳 Thanks for sharing Crazy Canuck. 😎👍

SCC6iZL.jpg

QqJucKP.jpg

NFZ3CfE.jpg

H9VqMzf.jpg

PGE7Zkh.jpg

RFowdoc.jpg

dv65byX.jpg

1aGsTWR.jpg

igyNO2w.jpg

NkZoqur.jpg

vf4tFyZ.jpg

j1msiNm.jpg

GYgijPE.jpg

XbKI4ka.jpg

Wow Mike, what a fantastic post! :cool: What a shame you had to miss work though! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Back