AD-15 lock pin/notch deformation and wear?

Knife has been replaced, enjoy!
That's great, thanks so much! Will I get a shipping notice or tracking number so i can keep an eye out for it?

Can you offer any insight as to what the inspection revealed?

That's great, thanks so much! Will I get a shipping notice or tracking number so i can keep an eye out for it?

Can you offer any insight as to what the inspection revealed?

Something was up enough for them to give you a new one a hold onto yours. Be interested to see what they come up with.

I got to thinking about my AD-15... or make that AD-15s, I've had two of them. The first one went back the day after I got it because I didn't like the mismatched edge grinds but I had a look at this photo of it that I posted on Instagram when I first got it. If you look closely, it's showing the same deformation around the lock pin notch.

Now this one was hardly used at all at the time of the photo - opened and closed a few times max. It was sent out to me on April 15th, arrived on the 17th, which was the day I took that photo, and then on the 18th, the dealer sent out a new one (along with an AD-10 that I ordered) and I sent this one back.

Looks like I've got some bad luck going on with the AD-15 :oops: The AD-10 however is everything I hoped it would be and more! Superb knife! :thumbsup:

Oh well, I sent the AD-15 to CS in Ventura yesterday. Should be there on Monday. I'm curious to see what they say.

ZjA5Do0.jpg

Hey everyone! We have reviewed these few complaints and came to a resolution. We will be strengthening that part of the tang going forward to accommodate for the abuse that is causing them to sustain damage in that little section. The odd wearing that the OP experienced is the only case of this that we've found, but the damage to the tang where the lock-bar sits is seemingly slightly more prevalent. All will be fixed on future knives and all is well. Thanks!

Thanks for the update Cold Steel Knives Cold Steel Knives . I haven't done much with mine but I don't see any deformation. What type of abuse are you referring to?

Ah yes, the classic "abuse" word drop to try to shift blame on users when your extra strong knives can't be opened without issue. "We will not know for a little while as to what happened," but it's certainly "abuse"!

At least the service side is being reputable with replacing them.

Hey everyone! We have reviewed these few complaints and came to a resolution. We will be strengthening that part of the tang going forward to accommodate for the abuse that is causing them to sustain damage in that little section. The odd wearing that the OP experienced is the only case of this that we've found, but the damage to the tang where the lock-bar sits is seemingly slightly more prevalent. All will be fixed on future knives and all is well. Thanks!
The knife you looked at was not the only example, read the post above yours and observe the picture. Are you insinuating that both users abused their AD-15's?

Not sure how repeated thumb flicking could be considered abuse...especially for a Cold Steel? Not wrist flicking, mind you...thumb only:confused:

Anyway, my new one should be here tomorrow...I'll measure the pin and take "before" pics.

Not sure how repeated thumb flicking could be considered abuse...especially for a Cold Steel? Not wrist flicking, mind you...thumb only:confused:

Anyway, my new one should be here tomorrow...I'll measure the pin and take "before" pics.

In CS's defense, they don't show the knives passing hardcore flicking tests in their videos :p

Hope it's all smoothed out for you! Haven't found another one like yours yet.

I'm really pleased to hear that Cold Steel is standing by their products - that's the right response - thanks guys!

However, as the owner of an AD-15 who has experienced this issue not once but twice, I'd love to know what you consider "abuse". What are you suggesting we did to the knives to damage them?

I wanna give CS mod benefit of doubt. Their social media personnel has always been reasonable here and on instagram. In multiple cases they would recognize issues even when the customer service didn’t.
In this case “abuse” could simply mean extra wear and tear in the yang area where the stop pin is repeatedly hitting, not actual abuse by user i.e. batoning etc.

I wanna give CS mod benefit of doubt. Their social media personnel has always been reasonable here and on instagram. In multiple cases they would recognize issues even when the customer service didn’t.
In this case “abuse” could simply mean extra wear and tear in the yang area where the stop pin is repeatedly hitting, not actual abuse by user i.e. batoning etc.
Then they could have used a different word, like stress or impact:rolleyes:

Anyway, mine is on the truck for delivery:)

Back