AD-15 lock pin/notch deformation and wear?

Right off the bat, this one feels smoother in the lock pin to tang interaction. Also, I can feel the ridges in the tang notch when unlocking (like a file skating), which I didn't feel on the other one. If I had to guess, I'd say the blade on my previous one may be a tad soft which combined with a slightly tapered pin led to the noticeable deformation.

Ive had mine since it first came out haven't had any trouble might have just been a lemon, it happens still think its a great knife....

I got one yesterday. The same deformation on a brand new knife. Intentionally inspected it before the first opening. The same grinded off spot on a lockbar pin. It is obviously the work of some grinding machine. Due to its pattern. Steel by steel can not make this kind of wear. Maybe with a help of some heavy hummer pounding)) But there will not be a grinding pattern only a flat surface if a pin is softer than a blade tang. Contrary - a dent in a blade and pin intact. I think this wear is made at factory to adjust locking mechanism. Scalloping deformation may be the result of not chamfered sharp edges being hit by stop pin. The lock bar can be shifted sideways a little when it engages so stop pin hit can take small right or left angles.

I got one yesterday. The same deformation on a brand new knife. Intentionally inspected it before the first opening. The same grinded off spot on a lockbar pin. It is obviously the work of some grinding machine. Due to its pattern. Steel by steel can not make this kind of wear. Maybe with a help of some heavy hummer pounding)) But there will not be a grinding pattern only a flat surface if a pin is softer than a blade tang. Contrary - a dent in a blade and pin intact. I think this wear is made at factory to adjust locking mechanism. Scalloping deformation may be the result of not chamfered sharp edges being hit by stop pin. The lock bar can be shifted sideways a little when it engages so stop pin hit can take small right or left angles.
Please send it back to us.

I finally got mine from Massdrop delivered to me in Europe and its without visible deformations, but with a bad case of lock-rock when opened. I guess I will be contacting CS support. :( Scorpion lock should have zero vertical blade-play, right? You guys need to talk with the factory ASAP and tighten the tolerances/quality control on that pin/blade notch contact zone. Hopefully these are just first production issues that will be solved. Just measured my lock pin. Inside aluminum one side is 0.186in and other 0.189in if that is whats causing these problems?

P.S. On the other hand, not to be all negative, my AD-10 that I got together with this is flawless. ;)

Last edited:
I finally got mine from Massdrop delivered to me in Europe and its without visible deformations, but with a bad case of lock-rock when opened. I guess I will be contacting CS support. :( Scorpion lock should have zero vertical blade-play, right? You guys need to talk with the factory ASAP and tighten the tolerances/quality control on that pin/blade notch contact zone. Hopefully these are just first production issues that will be solved. Just measured my lock pin. Inside aluminum one side is 0.186in and other 0.189in if that is whats causing these problems?

P.S. On the other hand, not to be all negative, my AD-10 that I got together with this is flawless. ;)
Send it on in! We're working hard to make sure there's no further issues with them. They seem to be hit and miss which is unacceptable.

Send it on in! We're working hard to make sure there's no further issues with them. They seem to be hit and miss which is unacceptable.

Happy to hear that :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to getting mine back and putting it to use.

I was told three weeks minimum before the team would even be able to look at the one I sent back and a six week turnaround... does that sound right to you?

Happy to hear that :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to getting mine back and putting it to use.

I was told three weeks minimum before the team would even be able to look at the one I sent back and a six week turnaround... does that sound right to you?
Sounds about right!

A quick update re. my AD15. Cold Steel says the one I sent in has been replaced with a new one, which is good news :thumbsup:

Sadly, they're still out of stock for at least a month longer :thumbsdown: Bought the knife in April, won't get to actually use it till August or September, which is pretty much a poor showing all round IMO.

A quick update re. my AD15. Cold Steel says the one I sent in has been replaced with a new one, which is good news :thumbsup:

Sadly, they're still out of stock for at least a month longer :thumbsdown: Bought the knife in April, won't get to actually use it till August or September, which is pretty much a poor showing all round IMO.
Yours shipped out yesterday.

New production run? What’s the difference?

Hey everyone! We have reviewed these few complaints and came to a resolution. We will be strengthening that part of the tang going forward to accommodate for the abuse that is causing them to sustain damage in that little section. The odd wearing that the OP experienced is the only case of this that we've found, but the damage to the tang where the lock-bar sits is seemingly slightly more prevalent. All will be fixed on future knives and all is well. Thanks!

Here's some photos from the new run. You can see the coloring from the heat treatment on the part of the tang where the lock bar sits.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3674.jpg
    IMG_3674.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3670.jpg
    IMG_3670.jpg