• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Alexander Dietz - worst customer service ever. Still don't have my knife 5 months

You're completely and inarguably wrong here, and it's clear to me that you're either Alex, or a friend of his in here defending him.

People like you that pretend to outrage over things that have nothing to do with them amuse me to no end.

Quiet,

I don't know Alex, never have spoken with him. Sorry.....blew that theory for you.

And your "People like you that pretend........", fits your own involvement here perfectly.

And no (not in my world anyway).......... a few missed emails (especially when 2 weeks prior to a stated completion date) does not constitute or justify an accusatory comment of being a thief. Since some of who have posted here, including the OP himself, are business owners, they should be smart enough to know that the impact of such a statement can be devastating to their business, especially when then also supported by unintelligent and totally partisan comments such as yours.

That you support the OP because he is a fellow 'board member' (as you have stated) should have nothing whatsoever to do with your opinion on this matter. That it clearly does (from your own words), speaks volumn's about your objectivity in regards to this matter or any other future posts where other 'associates' may be involved. Why wouldn't it.....?

Finally (and I mean finally), had the OP not used the word 'frankly', I might be convinced enough to believe that the rest of that sentence was just an off the cuff comment, unfiltered, bad choice of words derived from a bit of frustration and likely from a person with a type 'A' personality with the enhanced need to stay on top of everything that involves him. But as you may/should know, Webster defines 'frankly' as 'in truth'. Not perhaps, not maybe, not kidding, not sort of.......not any other things, but 'in truth'. So, I'm guessing that most other members here also knew the true meaning of 'frankly'. If we change the words, but not the meaning, this is how a visitor or member to this site and post (as I did from the start) would read this: "I'm being totally honest when I say that I doubt that since you now have my knife, I will ever get it back from you". I'm guessing that any reasonable person would, after reading that, choose to take his business elsewhere and any person that received such a glowing commendation from another fellow member, might just take offense to that and feel much more slandered and unjustifiably accused of being a thief than his, "very, very tame response.....", ever amounted to.......? Absolutely nothing that Alex did (not answering a few emails) mitigates the OP's actions in the least, especially when these slanderous allegations have now been viewed by potentially hundreds of thousands of viewers......all potential customers of Alex.

Take a few missed emails (again.......2 weeks prior to the agreed upon completion date), stack those Federal offense's up against, "I'm being totally honest when I say that I doubt that since you now have my knife, I will ever get it back from you". I suppose, especially to a 'fellow board member', that these 2 actions are no worse than the other and neither stands to lose the potential to feed and care for themselves or their family more than the other.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, I have not once justified Alex's behavior as far as what has been brought up to this site's attention by the OP. As pointed out earlier, I have hope that Alex reassess's his current business practices, in that regard. It is, has always been and continues to be about that one very unfair and inflammatory statement which the OP made that has no basis in fact and could still prove to be quite profound for Alex's business going forward.

With all of the business owners that posted on this thread, I'm not sure how or why this distinct possibility seems to be lost on you. I understand why it is of no concern and totally lost on both 'board members', but fellow businessmen.......over such trivial matters as compared to one's livelihood?

Last edited:
You're completely and inarguably wrong here, and it's clear to me that you're either Alex, or a friend of his in here defending him.

People like you that pretend to outrage over things that have nothing to do with them amuse me to no end.

I don't know Alex, never have spoken with him. Sorry.....blew that theory for you.

And your "People like you that pretend........", fits your own involvement here perfectly.

And no (not in my world anyway).......... a few missed emails (especially when 2 weeks prior to a stated completion date) does not constitute or justify an accusatory comment of being a thief. Since some of who have posted here, including the OP himself, are business owners, they should be smart enough to know that the impact of such a statement can be devastating to their business, especially when then also supported by unintelligent and totally partisan comments such as yours.

That you support the OP because he is a fellow 'board member' (as you have stated) should have nothing whatsoever to do with your opinion on this matter. That it clearly does (from your own words), speaks volumn's about your objectivity in regards to this matter or any other future posts where other 'associates' may be involved. Why wouldn't it.....?

Finally (and I mean finally), had the OP not used the word 'frankly', I might be convinced enough to believe that the rest of that sentence was just an off the cuff comment, unfiltered, bad choice of words derived from a bit of frustration and likely from a person with a type 'A' personality with the enhanced need to stay on top of everything that involves him. But as you may/should know, Webster defines 'frankly' as 'in truth'. Not perhaps, not maybe, not kidding, not sort of.......not any other things, but 'in truth'. So, I'm guessing that most other members here also knew the true meaning of 'frankly'. If we change the words, but not the meaning, this is how a visitor or member to this site and post (as I did from the start) would read this: "I'm being totally honest when I say that I doubt that since you now have my knife, I will ever get it back from you". I'm guessing that any reasonable person would, after reading that, choose to take his business elsewhere andany person that received such a glowing commendation from another fellow member, might just take offense to that and feel much more slandered and unjustifiably accused of being a thief than his, "very, very tame response.....", ever amounted to.......? Absolutely nothing that Alex did (not answering a few emails) mitigates the OP's actions in the least, especially when these slanderous allegations have now been viewed by potentially hundreds of thousands of viewers......all potential customers of Alex.

Take a few missed emails (again.......2 weeks prior to the agreed upon completion date), stack those Federal offense's up against, "I'm being totally honest when I say that I doubt that since you now have my knife, I will ever get it back from you". I suppose, especially to a 'fellow board member', that these 2 actions are no worse than the other and neither stands to lose the potential to feed and care for themselves or their family more than the other.

Again, as I pointed out earlier, I have not once justified Alex's behavior as far as what has been brought up to this site's attention by the OP. As pointed out earlier, I have hope that Alex reassess's his current business practices, in that regard. It is, has always been and continues to be about that one very unfair and inflammatory statement which the OP made that has no basis in fact and could still prove to be quite profound for Alex's business going forward.

With all of the business owners that posted on this thread, I'm not sure how or why this distinct possibility sems to be lost on you. I understand why it is of no concern and totally lost on both 'board members', but a fellow businessman.......over such trivial matters as compared to one's livelihood?

Just so you know, I didn't even read this response. Your opinion, like your clear bias, is already understood, so nothing else you said really matters. You want to be a huge apologist for Alex's piss-poor business practices, that's fine. Your first post in this thread told me (and others) all we needed to know. Unlike you, some of us refuse to put up with BS from people who don't understand how business works. Also, understand that I'm not being pointlessly dismissive. I just went back and did a quick scan of this mishmash of a post, and there were several points that I could handily refute, but the problem is that this thread is becoming more of a bickering session between you and I, rather than what it should be about: the OP getting piss-poor service from Alex and his poor business skills. So, I'm going to stop addressing you, as that's the more adult route to take here.

OP, I hope you get your knife back (eventually) and it turns out to have been worth the astronomical wait. I mean, waiting for months and months? For scales?! There are plenty of other folks here who could hook you up, and not take months doing it. I'd suggest getting your knife, and money back and going with one of them.

Last edited:
Best , I think he will come thru. He cares about his work. Even if it doesn't seem about the rest. I think sometimes a wake up call is in order. We all need one from time to time. If we don't we aren't living. I look forward to seeing your 583 when you get it back.

James

The way I see it, The work was to be done in 8 weeks. I would NEVER have asked for a status update after 4 weeks and I would not have made the statement about "frankly, not seeing my knives again" simply on him not responding to 3 "status updates" weeks before the work was supposed to be done. While I agree that Alex's business practices suck, I am not prepared to diagnose any mental defect (where some members come up with this stuff is beyond me) perhaps Alex is not the only one that needs to seek help;-)

I think both have handled this very badly: OP did the equivalent of a child asking "are we there yet" while driving and Alex has some serious issues when it comes to doing what people are paying him to do.

Hope the OP gets his knife and $$ back

Just sayin

Paul

Last edited:
pwerfel, perhaps, positively is more like it. Seeking help. Should I call the paramedics. :p

Pwerfel what serious issues does Alex have when it comes to doing what people pay him to do. Where do issues stem from?

I'm sure 95 percent of people could use a session.

Just so you know, I didn't even read this response. Your opinion, like your clear bias, is already understood, so nothing else you said really matters. You want to be a huge apologist for Alex's piss-poor business practices, that's fine. Your first post in this thread told me (and others) all we needed to know. Unlike you, some of us refuse to put up with BS from people who don't understand how business works. Also, understand that I'm not being pointlessly dismissive. I just went back and did a quick scan of this mishmash of a post, and there were several points that I could handily refute, but the problem is that this thread is becoming more of a bickering session between you and I, rather than what it should be about: the OP getting piss-poor service from Alex and his poor business skills. So, I'm going to stop addressing you, as that's the more adult route to take here.

OP, I hope you get your knife back (eventually) and it turns out to have been worth the astronomical wait. I mean, waiting for months and months? For scales?! There are plenty of other folks here who could hook you up, and not take months doing it. I'd suggest getting your knife, and money back and going with one of them.

Quiet,

Just so you know.........not once was I a huge nor small apologist for Alex's, as you say, "piss-poor business practices", in any of my posts. Along with the other 'points' that you care not to 'handily refute', please add this one to your list.

Since, just as the OP did to Alex, you have called me out wrongly and have stated and assumed that I don't understand nor have any business sense. Business itself, how the world market works, and more importantly, how to conduct myself in most situations (business dealings included), I was able to fully retire at age 53 and have been able, for almost the last decade, to enjoy the fruits of what 'business sense' I was able to muster without your thoughtful guidance. BTW - not one penny from 'blood money' either. Had you not asked, I would not have responded in kind. Now that you did and I have, please allow others to learn the simple and civil message that was the intent of all of my posts, which has certainly and not unexpectedly been lost on you. Had you acted like 'an adult' from the very beginning, as any other adult should have expected you to do, you would never have had to default to the 'ole, "I'm gonna do the adult thing now". Sure, we're well past any real helpful suggestions at this point, but I surely didn't expect the 'ole 'adult thing' fallback.

Don't assume, especially don't always assume the worst, you are no better than anyone else and finally...... your dad can't beat up my dad.......;)........which I will agree with you as to where we find ourselves now, has turned this thread sideways. As can be 'handily argued' on my end however, I certainly didn't take first swipes at you nor made assumptions about you that can't be substantiated in your previous posts.

Have a better day..................

Last edited:
JCP,

You just had to apologize on another GBU thread for some ill conceived remarks the other day, Alex has not even posted a response and you are speaking to his alleged mental state... Seriously man.. WTF?!

As to needing a session, please speak only for yourself.

Alex cannot meet his deadlines, I don't know the reasons, I do not much care. I do know that unlike yourself, I actually have to see and talk a person to make an assessment of their medical or psychiatric state.

Why do people pay for stuff prior to completion? This has always confused my pea sized brain, why pay until the Maker says "it's complete and ready to ship." This way if stuff happens along the way that makes the delay just too much to bare you won't lose any money by cancelling the deal.....

I think money comes into play because these aren't local people they are dealing with. Although having a guys knife is collateral. When the jobs done get paid then ship. I can't explain why. Must be something wrong with peoples shoestrings.
I'm not a trained professional . I'm just a living example.

All good things in all good time.

9691pcj

Last edited:
Quiet,

Just so you know.........not once was I a huge nor small apologist for Alex's, as you say, "piss-poor business practices", in any of my posts. Along with the other 'points' that you care not to 'handily refute', please add this one to your list.

Since, just as the OP did to Alex, you have called me out wrongly and have stated and assumed that I don't understand nor have any business sense. Business itself, how the world market works, and more importantly, how to conduct myself in most situations (business dealings included), I was able to fully retire at age 53 and have been able, for almost the last decade, to enjoy the fruits of what 'business sense' I was able to muster without your thoughtful guidance. BTW - not one penny from 'blood money' either. Had you not asked, I would not have responded in kind. Now that you did and I have, please allow others to learn the simple and civil message that was the intent of all of my posts, which has certainly and not unexpectedly been lost on you. Had you acted like 'an adult' from the very beginning, as any other adult should have expected you to do, you would never have had to default to the 'ole, "I'm gonna do the adult thing now". Sure, we're well past any real helpful suggestions at this point, but I surely didn't expect the 'ole 'adult thing' fallback.

Don't assume, especially don't always assume the worst, you are no better than anyone else and finally...... your dad can't beat up my dad.......;)........which I will agree with you as to where we find ourselves now, has turned this thread sideways. As can be 'handily argued' on my end however, I certainly didn't take first swipes at you nor made assumptions about you that can't be substantiated in your previous posts.

Have a better day..................

Oh, are we playing this game now? :rolleyes:

Criminy, I just cannot stand Internet people who first victim-shame others, then try to act like a victim themselves. I have a few minutes, so let's do this. Yes, let's do add your statement to my list. By "list", I assume you mean, things I can easily refute.

You just said:

Quiet,

Really? Well, Alex responds to the OP with"Frankly you don't need to be emailing me constantly a bout your knife it's here its fine and will get done I'm pretty behind so It will be a bit. Alex.

That is a sad, pathetic, petulant, childish answer. Period. A fact that you tried to downplay. How did you say it? Oh, right:

Alex then responds to your email saying that you need not email so much, it will get done and he's running a bit behind. To be quite honest, Alex's response was much more reserved and professional than your previous email inferring that Alex was somehow going to deprive you of your knife.

So, Alex's jackass response is, in your opinion, "much more reserved and professional" than the OP's email.

Now, I'm sorry, were you, or were you not defending Alex and attacking the OP in post #3 of this thread? Yes, or no? We all know the answer is yes, it's now time for, at 63 years old, to man up, and accept that you aren't talking your way out of this one, guy. And yes, I DID use the "adult thing", because it's clear that you aren't acting like an adult, and don't have any actual business sense. So, let me set you straight. You aren't smarter than I am, and nothing you have said here has been beyond my comprehension. No points you've tried to make have gone over my head. The bottom line here is this: if you are communicating with a customer, who is upset that you have blown him off twice and he sends you an email with a statement that is mildly irritating, what is the correct response? Hint, it's not that jerkbag response Alex gave him. Tell you what, Mr. Retired. Allow me to give you a few possible responses that Alex could have made to OP, that are actually professional and reserved (I am pretty sure you don't know what those words mean). Ok, class is in session:

"Hey Alex,

I'd like a status. This is the 3rd email in the last 10 days. We're coming into week 8 right now, just wondering if there's an outside shot of it coming. Frankly wondering if I'll ever see my knife again right now.

Let me know."

Possible responses:

1. "Best, I'm very sorry that you feel that way. I apologize for not responding sooner, I have not gotten started on your commission as yet, it is currently in the queue, however I'll send you an email letting you know when I've started work. Would that work for you?

Thanks,

Alex"

2. "Best, I have had some personal issues that impacted my work schedule, and apologize for the delay in my responses to your emails. Right now, you are 17th down on the list, and I hope to get to your knife here in the next two weeks. Sorry for any frustration I may have caused. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Alex"

I could go on, but hopefully this point hasn't flown over YOUR head. There is no time where it's acceptable for a businessperson (who expects to gain business from others) to lash out with some whiny little "STOP PESTERING ME!!! I'M BUSY!" petulant little footstomping. Because you know what? There will always be times you have to deal with customers, and customers run the entire range. You might have a guy who sends in his knife, never gets any contact, forgets all about it, and is happily surprised when months later, his new/customized knife arrives in his mailbox. Then you might have people like the OP, who don't like communication blackouts. Guess what? A professional business person has to be able to deal with both.

So in conclusion, I hope you have a better day as well, as soon as you learn to stop blaming customers for bad business practices, and defending those businesspeople perpetrating them.

P.S. Modstaff, sorry we crapped up this thread with this short business lesson.

Last edited:
Quiet,

Consider me schooled in business now. Let me share what I've learned.

I've learned that if a real businessman says that there are many points that can be 'handily refuted', that really means only a single one, not several, not many......one. But you sure did offer up a bunch of 'possible responses' that were of no consequense whatsoever.......kind of like administering the antidote after the guy died, at best. I also learned that stating an honest opinion of the way each actor acted is totally a sign of taking sides, even though the comment of the OP was thought to be way off base by myself and others. That others agree that the OP's comment went well beyond that which was reasonable or civil evidently means nothing and had zero to do with Alex's follow up comment. I have also learned that when asked, you choose not to respond how you would have reacted had you been on the receiving end of the 'thief' statement. But from your attitude here, I have also learned that real businesmen, like yourself, never entertain possibilities other than those that shine the worst possible light on another, especially if the matter involves a friend of that real businessman. I also learned that statements that I made that mentioned Alex's poor business practices and that he could have been more responsible actually mean, to a real businessman, that I was totally blind to the fact that Alex could have done a better job of communicating with the OP.

Lastly, I learned that real businessmen make very broad, assuming statements and they like to infer a great deal about other people that they have absolutely no clue about. Such as.........a member (actually a couple of us) not knowing anything about business or we would think exactly the same way as a real businessman.. When an honest response is then made that was offered only in an effort to alleviate the real businessman's anxiety about some of us underlings lacking the necessary skills to match those of a real businessman, and then learning that he might have been in error in his assumption, real businessmen then use childish responses such as, "Tell you what, Mr. Retired"!! I also learned that real businessmen have a problem with math and/or the term, "and for almost the last decade". 63-53=10 (10 years= one decade). Almost a decade, to us fake businessmen, would likely be in the 8-9 year range, maybe 7+ years even, but certainly not a full decade.

Thanks for the business lesson..........it was certainly enlightening. I shall now go forth and finally be able to prosper.

Last edited:
magnumb, quiet

I'm not sure what the point of the back and forth it. I probably should not have said I don't know if I'll ever see my knife again, however, it does not really matter what I said. I should never have been ignored and I should have never received a response like that. magnumb if you're arguing that was acceptable I am glad you are not in business anymore, that's no way to treat a customer. If he worked for a company with a superior I would have been on the phone the instant I received that email and raising hell.

The long and short is I should never have been ignored, period. End of discussion. To get a response like that is inexcusable, under any circumstances. Justify it all you want, perception is reality. My perception was that I was being completely scammed, and clearly I'm not alone in that sentiment.

There has been developments to the story.

Talked to Alex the past few days, he did apologize for the delay and wishes that it had never happened.

However, he messed up the material he was using for my scales. Crap happens, I completely understand. Then we switched scales to a blue/silver twill and he made a mistake on that as well and there wasn't enough to complete the job.

So he ordered some material to have by Monday. So we're doing red/silver/black lava flow, carbon backspacer, and acid washed blade. Should come out really well on my tanto 583.
12835085804_9f0c2f24ce_o.jpg

Mods, if you can help Alex get his bladeforums account back in order we would appreciate it, as he currently states that he is unable to access his account on this site (maybe password issues?)

Really? If he needs help, Tech Support would be a good place for someone to ask. Hoping a moderator comes across this request buried in the thread is not.

Also, I don't know who he is or what his user name is. How do I begin looking? The really best way to get help would be for him to contact one of us with the details of what isn't working. That's why I post my email in my sig line.

I've sent Mr. Dietz an email with a link to instructions on how to reset his password and Sparks email if it is another issue he's having.

A number of knife pimpers are suddenly becoming knife-makers because it is a higher status profession. And they are ignoring pending pimp jobs to promote their new custom knife making business. My impression is that they aren't great business people, although they may be very creative and manually skilled. But business is about integrity and communication and customer service. Good luck to the OP.

EVERY businessman who expects to make money has the same goal: Satisfy his customers. That certainly includes communication and customer service.

Quiet,

Consider me schooled in business now. Let me share what I've learned.

I've learned that if a real businessman says that there are many points that can be 'handily refuted', that really means only a single one, not several, not many......one. But you sure did offer up a bunch of 'possible responses' that were of no consequense whatsoever.......kind of like administering the antidote after the guy died, at best. I also learned that stating an honest opinion of the way each actor acted is totally a sign of taking sides, even though the comment of the OP was thought to be way off base by myself and others. That others agree that the OP's comment went well beyond that which was reasonable or civil evidently means nothing and had zero to do with Alex's follow up comment. I have also learned that when asked, you choose not to respond how you would have reacted had you been on the receiving end of the 'thief' statement. But from your attitude here, I have also learned that real businesmen, like yourself, never entertain possibilities other than those that shine the worst possible light on another, especially if the matter involves a friend of that real businessman. I also learned that statements that I made that mentioned Alex's poor business practices and that he could have been more responsible actually mean, to a real businessman, that I was totally blind to the fact that Alex could have done a better job of communicating with the OP.

Lastly, I learned that real businessmen make very broad, assuming statements and they like to infer a great deal about other people that they have absolutely no clue about. Such as.........a member (actually a couple of us) not knowing anything about business or we would think exactly the same way as a real businessman.. When an honest response is then made that was offered only in an effort to alleviate the real businessman's anxiety about some of us underlings lacking the necessary skills to match those of a real businessman, and then learning that he might have been in error in his assumption, real businessmen then use childish responses such as, "Tell you what, Mr. Retired"!! I also learned that real businessmen have a problem with math and/or the term, "and for almost the last decade". 63-53=10 (10 years= one decade). Almost a decade, to us fake businessmen, would likely be in the 8-9 year range, maybe 7+ years even, but certainly not a full decade.

Thanks for the business lesson..........it was certainly enlightening. I shall now go forth and finally be able to prosper.

Which others would those be? I read the entire thread, and see you, and Justice. Oh, and Alex, so I guess Justice and Alex are the "others" you mention. Huh, ok. There was no one else just up and attacking the OP, and trying to downplay Alex's terrible business communications skills like you did.

None of the rest of your post made any sense, and I have to assume you were on some sort of narcotic when making it. I don't see anywhere there that you admitted to what I pointed out, that you, in Alex's defense, tried to downplay his transgressions while at the same time attacking the OP.

In fact, you know what I pictured you as when I read your first post (and all the rest)? This is you, right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfcxUlGqJk

Man, love it when Bill nails it. LOL

OP, you showed REPREHHHSNBLE BEEHAAVIOR, you should kiss Alex's feet and apologize for bothering him, because this Baby Boomer magnumb said so! :D

magnumb, quiet

I'm not sure what the point of the back and forth it. I probably should not have said I don't know if I'll ever see my knife again, however, it does not really matter what I said. I should never have been ignored and I should have never received a response like that. magnumb if you're arguing that was acceptable I am glad you are not in business anymore, that's no way to treat a customer. If he worked for a company with a superior I would have been on the phone the instant I received that email and raising hell.

The long and short is I should never have been ignored, period. End of discussion. To get a response like that is inexcusable, under any circumstances. Justify it all you want, perception is reality. My perception was that I was being completely scammed, and clearly I'm not alone in that sentiment.

There has been developments to the story.

Talked to Alex the past few days, he did apologize for the delay and wishes that it had never happened.

However, he messed up the material he was using for my scales. Crap happens, I completely understand. Then we switched scales to a blue/silver twill and he made a mistake on that as well and there wasn't enough to complete the job.

So he ordered some material to have by Monday. So we're doing red/silver/black lava flow, carbon backspacer, and acid washed blade. Should come out really well on my tanto 583.
12835085804_9f0c2f24ce_o.jpg

Hey, it was a slow day yesterday, so I had a good spirited debate with magnumb to pass the time. I hope Alex makes it right. Hopefully, he'll post up in this thread after he gets his login figured out, so he can let the other customers back on page 1 know the status of their orders also. Good luck with it, man.

So best... After all this time he's just now working on your knife.. glad you're getting your knife back if he wanted to truly make it right he would refund you completely and do the job.. but this scares me away from ever sending out a piece of my own for suree.

Personally speaking, if I'm quoted 8 weeks on a service... I'm looking for a status update on day 55. I'm not saying the OP was wrong for checking the status with the service provider, but for me, I usually try to give these guys some space to work.

Otherwise I'm on board with the general consensus that what's been happening is definitely an example of very bad customer service. There have been lies and negligence. I am a small business owner and can attest that my career is based on deadlines. I don't always hit them. Sometimes you run into a major setback, sometimes a project is just more complicated than you originally assessed and of course sometimes life gets in the way. No matter what! I always do my very best to be honest and up front with my clients. If the project will be late, I let them know. If I forget to let them know, I apologize profusely.

With all that said, I am not trying to defend the actions of the accused here, and I am certainty not contesting the accusations of the OP, however this thread seems to be falling off the rails here, with all the talk of how "nuts" artists can be, and how we're likely dealing with mental illness here. None of us are psychologists treating this patient.

If we expect professionalism here from the accused, let's keep our evaluation of the situation equally professional and based on facts.

Back