• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Alexander Dietz - worst customer service ever. Still don't have my knife 5 months

Please see the #46 post in the 'Sellers Remorse' thread as I very much believe that it belongs here, as well.

Last edited:
Having had two knives done by Alex before his unfortunate family issues, I can say I never had any issue communicating with him and my knives were done close to the estimated completion date. I am a very happy customer.

Alex, I really hope things work out for you in 2014 and that you continue to mod knives as you are a very talented individual.

It seems like I'm the only one to say this and maybe it makes me look like the bad guy, but here goes.

Personally speaking: I am terribly sorry to hear of Alex's personal troubles. I of course wish him and his family the best, as I do for all of you and mostly all human beings. Is it upsetting and sad? Yes. Am I happy to hear he seems to be doing better these days? Of course.

Professionally speaking: I don't care. Make it right. Apologize. Return money. Don't make excuses. And just so you know, I don't say "make excuses" as any implication these unfortunate events are not valid... I really mean, as a customer expecting a service, I don't want to hear your excuses. Not because I'm an inhumane asshole, but simply because it's none of my business. I'm not your best friend or family... you didn't miss my house warming party or kid's first birthday party because of personal hardship. You screwed up a service I hired you for.

With that said, it seems like Alex is back on the right track and it makes me happy to hear that for all the right reasons. I'm glad things are looking up for him personally and I'm glad he has a plan of action to get back on track professionally, and make things right with many customers.

Again, I consider myself a good person with a big heart but in my opinion... if you botched a service i paid you for? - all I need is to be told, "I'm sorry, I screwed up, here's how I'm gonna make it right", and then do it.

hope the op get some news soon,

thats said,

Alex, thanks , you broke my theory all artist are mentally deficient , Just me for sure. that is all i know for sure. so i am glad for all of us and your family. Things are getting better. for your sake, just be honest and don't make promises , people who you want as customers will understand. those are the type businesses everyone should support. let your work do the talking. stay focused and you got it. I'm a jack of all trades and truly a master of none. that takes giving your life to it. i'm hoping knife making will do that for me. it really involves everything. if not i know the consequences. no master

I wish you only the best!

James

Magnumb lol , that analogy fooled me, i assumed the guy with the dirty face was just a harder worker.

your right though. you can be a good teacher, easier to learn from than a bully.

foresight not; post 86

magnumb , very true, it takes thinking thru, sometimes hard to do but very valuable. consequences others could feel , should be considered prior. hard sometimes. forgive them for they know not what they do. here my dumber quote shakes crap. legally that could be binding. I better be nicer/kinder yet ready.

Last edited:
Magnumb lol , that analogy fooled me, i assumed the guy with the dirty face was just a harder worker.

your right though. you can be a good teacher, easier to learn from than a bully.

He most certainly could be a harder worker..... I, for one, wouldn't want to just make that assumption.

I'll leave that to the pro's.........that select few that just can't pass up any opportunity to waddle in the mud.......;).

It just takes some much longer than other's to come 'clean'..................if ever.

Last edited:
It seems like I'm the only one to say this and maybe it makes me look like the bad guy, but here goes.

Personally speaking: I am terribly sorry to hear of Alex's personal troubles. I of course wish him and his family the best, as I do for all of you and mostly all human beings. Is it upsetting and sad? Yes. Am I happy to hear he seems to be doing better these days? Of course.

Professionally speaking: I don't care. Make it right. Apologize. Return money. Don't make excuses. And just so you know, I don't say "make excuses" as any implication these unfortunate events are not valid... I really mean, as a customer expecting a service, I don't want to hear your excuses. Not because I'm an inhumane asshole, but simply because it's none of my business. I'm not your best friend or family... you didn't miss my house warming party or kid's first birthday party because of personal hardship. You screwed up a service I hired you for.

With that said, it seems like Alex is back on the right track and it makes me happy to hear that for all the right reasons. I'm glad things are looking up for him personally and I'm glad he has a plan of action to get back on track professionally, and make things right with many customers.

Again, I consider myself a good person with a big heart but in my opinion... if you botched a service i paid you for? - all I need is to be told, "I'm sorry, I screwed up, here's how I'm gonna make it right", and then do it.

Reminds me of the "It isn't personal, it's just business" approach to rationalizing all sorts of extreme behavior and words.

Reminds me of the "It isn't personal, it's just business" approach to rationalizing all sorts of extreme behavior and words.

Reminds me of making a vague, non-contextual statement that could mean a million different things.

simple word , empathy for both parties. to say how we would react without having been through it is reaching where you can't truly go. until we have been there.
so disagreeing about it is part of it. 2 parties affected. without evidence there is no truth. Alex has been through hell , I'm glade HE made it out alive.

a forum members daughter went through a rough time. like he said. he didn't give a crap about the rest of the world. he was scared to death of losing his daughter and her suffering. i will say. i had to apologize for real, not so long ago. Not because of this forum. but because i truly put the shoe on the other foot. I imagine someone treating my son like i treated someone son. I was hurt. Me as a dad took my mistake very personable. There was no getting away from it. I try and be better. wish every cloud had a silver lining.

Reminds me of making a vague, non-contextual statement that could mean a million different things.

Touché, chadridv. Well played. The readers of this thread will just have to reach their own conclusions.

simple word , empathy for both parties. to say how we would react without having been through it is reaching where you can't truly go. until we have been there.
so disagreeing about it is part of it. 2 parties affected. without evidence there is no truth. Alex has been through hell , I'm glade HE made it out alive.

a forum members daughter went through a rough time. like he said. he didn't give a crap about the rest of the world. he was scared to death of losing his daughter and her suffering. i will say. i had to apologize for real, not so long ago. Not because of this forum. but because i truly put the shoe on the other foot. I imagine someone treating my son like i treated someone son. I was hurt. Me as a dad took my mistake very personable. There was no getting away from it. I try and be better. wish every cloud had a silver lining.

James,

What does this mean and how is it related to the issue discussed? How does it help?

I am an educated man but I cannot follow most of your postings. They appear to be random phrases, strung together.

PAW

He most certainly could be a harder worker..... I, for one, wouldn't want to just make that assumption.

I'll leave that to the pro's.........that select few that just can't pass up any opportunity to waddle in the mud.......;).

It just takes some much longer than other's to come 'clean'..................if ever.

Did you ever hear the one about the bathtub of honey and the bathtub of mud?

James,

What does this mean and how is it related to the issue discussed? How does it help?

I am an educated man but I cannot follow most of your postings. They appear to be random phrases, strung together.

PAW

2 words, some things are like dove's feathers in flight. Whispy, and elegant. the world it hurts, strange things and solitude. we all must find our way, without maps to the afterlife. Truth is a wasteland, and we are garbage men. It helps those that seek it, it eludes those that seek not. I haiku when I'm sad. Beans.

... wish him and his family the best,

Make it right. Apologize. Return money. Don't make excuses. it's none of my business. Alex is back on the right track and it makes me happy to hear that for all the right reasons. I'm glad things are looking up for him personally and I'm glad he has a plan of action to get back on track and make things right with many customers.

all I need is to be told, "I'm sorry, I screwed up, here's how I'm gonna make it right", and then do it.

/thread.

We can check back in 3 months for an update, and either congratulate him or wipe mud on his face.

Goodnight

From your lead in, you had to know that you gave, at worst, tacit consent for less than supportive responses. That it occured shouldn't surprise you nor upset you.

We're all entitled to our opinions and positions, but all cases/matters/situations don't fit into one pigeon hole, no matter how much that would comfort us and make life easier (no grey area's).

That Alex's situation and post explaining such was waaaaay beyond the pale and certainly posted much earlier than your post.....one might have thought that enough was just that.....enough. If Alex hadn't been as forthcoming and had not taken responsibility for his actions at some point in this entire thread (as others have not when they certainly should have), a bit more 'piling on' might have been more easily overlooked. That Alex did bare his sole and took responsibility and that fact has been quite obvious and extremely evident and has now for sometime, makes your post 'stand out' as far as it's actual intent at this particular juncture, especially when we all agree that communication is the key........no argument nor conflicting opinions on that subject, whatsoever.

That horse has loooong since succumbed to the whip and he accepted his punishment with as much grace as one could expect. I don't expect that you are an 'inhumane asshole', but a lesson learned is a lesson learned. If Alex, subsequent to this thread, demonstrates that not to be the case, I expect that there will once again be plenty of whippin' to go 'round. But he deserves that opportunity, unencumbered by posts that would seem more a directive than not.

Adding more salt to the wound before it's even healed enough to fully recover does little to enhance one's chances at 'healing'. If to embarass and instill guilt is the intent, then I'd suggest that those attempts have already been posted in spades.

When a guys down, it would seem only fair to let him gain his feet, clean himself and his act up......or not, before deciding to apply more of the same.

Just sayin...................

Last edited:
So the thread started out as a problem with a craftsman, and has degenerated into squabbles among the commenters. That helps a lot, doesn't it?

Nooo, it does not. Please stay on topic and leave your own personalities out of it.

From your lead in, you had to know that you gave, at worst, tacit consent for less than supportive responses. That it occured shouldn't surprise you nor upset you.

I don't expect that you are an 'inhumane asshole', but a lesson learned is a lesson learned. If Alex, subsequent to this thread, demonstrates that not to be the case, I expect that there will once again be plenty of whippin' to go 'round. But he deserves that opportunity, unencumbered by posts that would seem more a directive than not.

Adding more salt to the wound before it's even healed enough to fully recover does little to enhance one's chances at success. If to embarass and instill guilt is the intent, then I'd suggest that those attempts have already been posted in spades.

When a guys down, it would seem only fair to let him gain his feet, clean himself and his act up......or not, before deciding to apply more of the same.

Is there a specific response you are speaking of that you think made me upset? I'm not upset.

I don't feel like 'the bad guy', nor did I ever. Looking like the 'bad guy' however is easy when my opinion on this situation his been steady while many others seem to blow back and fourth like grass in a field. The mob was ready to put this guy in a mental hospital or jail two days ago and now the tide has turned. That's frankly frustrating.

As for pouring salt in the wound, I definitely do see your point. Maybe I should have start an entirely NEW thread called, "how to properly handle screwing up business", because frankly I just don't agree with divulging all your personal stress, hardship and problems on to customers you've already wronged, and the entire internet for that matter. Aside from improved communication (which you mentioned), a simple apology, and pledge to make things right would do just fine. If I were wronged as a customer that's all I would ask for and nothing more.

Obviously this is just my opinion. If you think it's appropriate to supplement an apology to your customers, with every aspect of your personal hardship in an explanation to why they've not received their money back or the services paid for, than we simply disagree.

To others chiming in, I implore you to go back and read my post magnum is speaking of. I clearly state I feel for this person and his family... and sincerely do wish them the best. I just don't find this the appropriate forum to gather that support.

To be clear and in your behalf, your stated 'best wishes' was never in question and I fully expect that they were sincere.

We need not 'simply disagree' because on that point, we don't disagree. Having said that, it may not be my choice to divulge such personal information as Alex did, but that was his choice and in doing so, it clearly explained his actions or lack thereof. That he did so should then cause us to accept his explanation and proposed efforts going forward as both true and an attempt at regaining our trust and confidence.

It is at that very point in the thread that I would have fully expected a more tempered approach in any subsequent post. No hugs necessary, but neither did I expect a continuation of very 'focused' comments reiterating exactly the same position as had been stated many, many times prior to Alex's 'tell all' post.

What a thread.

I think there is an important message somewhere in the following posts . . .

for a job that was supposed to last a day and he's off shooting and vacationing and all those things when there's customers that have been waiting for months that's not OK. His response when I called him out on that was "I'm a person, I'm allowed to live a little." - well yea, that's true. However, you're also a small business owner and you have work that you have to do. It definitely seems like he just works on whatever he wants and customers just get the short end of the stick.

I am currently working mon through friday on orders to try and clean house

five days a week just is not going to cut it.

I agree with Marko, as much as it sucks owning a small business sometimes you have to work 6-7 days a week.

And a question left by the following posts . . .

According to him, I'll have tracking tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath.

I spoke to him today after I made this thread, he says I'll have a tracking number Friday.

I look forward to my tracking number today so we can get this all behind us.

Did you ever get that tracking number? If you already posted that you did, I missed it. Since you started this thread here, I think it would be good if you update this thread with the outcome.

Good luck!

My two cents here.....these types of devolving/personal threads is making me hesitant to even frequent this forum any longer......the editorializing and life experiences is simply over-the top!! I come here for knife-related information....INFORMATION......instead I get a made-for-television soap opera!! Get a room or take it elsewhere and spare the rest of us the drivel........

To the OP, it looks like he has some WIP pics of your knife on his Instagram today. Hope it all works out for you

Back