All time favorite movie

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned a bunch of my favorite movies in different genres. But if I had to pick one movie that I would say is currently my all-time favorite of the lot, I’ll have to say it’s Your Name (Kimi no Na wa, 2016). And I am NOT a big anime fan. I had read some really good reviews on it, decided to give it a try, and was surprised, to say the least. It brought back that special feeling for me of watching an epic movie for the first time and knowing I’m seeing something special that was going to be a new favorite; something I hadn’t felt about a new movie in a long time. It’s one of those movies that gets better and better the further into the story it goes. A few Christmases ago, I gifted DVDs of this movie to various family members, all of whom are adults, none of whom had ever watched anime before, and they all loved it.

Jim
Your description reminds me of The World's Fastest Indian. I've loaned it out to several people and they've all liked it. Male, female, complete not-into-motorcycles or anything greasy types, and its been universally praised. Fun when that happens. Also, the sign of a well made movie with a good story.

Since this got bumped-

Along with killgar’s already-mentioned Escape From New York! Although I did feel that the sequel, Escape From LA, sucked.

I'm surprised I didn't say it at the time, but I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement. To the point that I pretend that movie doesn't exist. I saw it once, and will NEVER see it again.

Heck, I'm only ten months late. But I just had to say it 😁 .

Michael Mann “Heat” (1995)
Harold Ramis “Groundhog Day” (1993)
I love Groundhogs day as a guilty pleasure category
It's one of the most terrifying/horrific movies ever made!!!
All that Blood, Murder, and Rape.

Other guilty pleasures.....and honorable mentions
Jaws
Humanoids from the Deep
No County for Old Men
The Shining
Amélie
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Shadow of the Vampire
The Galapagos Affair
Being John Malkovich
Fight Club
Valhalla Rising
Nosferatu
The Island of Dr. Moreau
(Val Killer, Marlon Brando, Ron Pearlman)
The Burbs
Pet Cemetery
Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic,
and Rushmore

Best Western: Dead Man (B&W Johnny Depp) if I was a history teacher, I'd show it to my highschool class as a documentary for what the American West was like.... I also like Ravenous (1999) and The Brotherhood of the Wolf

They Live
isn't a science/fiction so much as a documentary too......

Best war movie: Jojo Rabbit

Romance: The Virgin Suicides
this movie Speaks to me on a thousand levels, as I'm a child of the 70's. Very nostalgic film. Beautiful film.

Favorite Horror:. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original from the 70's)
*Actually my all-time favorite movie. It's more fine cinema than horror!
Fun fact......no one dies from a chainsaw. ;)

Sci-fi: Blade Runner, Alien series, Fifth Element, 2001, City of Lost Children, Twelve Monkeys, Legend,

Zombies: Return of the Living Dead

best musical/soundtrack: O Brother Where Art Thou

obviously Die Hard and Gremlins, and the Christmas Story is the best Christmas movie.....Haha

I'm admittedly a movie snob, I like So Many that were already listed, but
*I usually HATE tarientino movies.
He's a Scab who steals and plagiarizes Everything. Way Over rated
I'd rather watch a disney movie........ Nah, I Wouldn't. :)

Last edited:
I saw one of my all-time favorite movies recently, so I thought I'd share for any who might not know about it but might be interested in the subject matter. It's a movie about the cold, hard reality of survival versus the sentimentality of civilization.

The movie is "Abandon Ship" from 1957.

The story- A cruise ship sinks in the Atlantic ocean. There is only one lifeboat (actually just a row boat). There are several survivors from the sinking, but too many for the one boat. The boat is overloaded, and there are several people in the water clinging to the sides of the boat.

No distress signal was sent. No one is coming to save them. The nearest land is Africa, 1500 miles away. They have very little in the way of provisions. And there's a storm coming.

The captain is dead, and the acting captain decides that the only chance for survival is to row to Africa. But not everyone can go. Like I said, there are too many people in the boat, it's on the verge of capsizing, and they can't make the journey with people clinging to the sides. Some people will have to be left behind to the sea (and certain death).

So the captain has to decide- does he follow the "rules of civilization", sacrifice the strong and leave the weak, the sick, and the injured in the boat, in which case everyone will surely die, because the weak, sick, and injured have no chance of rowing to Africa.

Or, does he sacrifice the weak, sick, and injured, and leave the strong in the boat, because they can row, in the hopes of at least saving some people.

Great movie. It's free on Youtube.
I'll check it out.....thanks.
Sounds dreary.

The darkest movie I can think of (The Road) is a movie based on The Road book by Cormac McCarthy..... Very dark, grey....

Should be mandatory viewing for every prepper.
This, is what the end of the world Will look like.
Can You survive?

In terms of a movie touching on things that matter to me, probably Black Panther (I like the hopefulness of a Wakanda, or a Star Trek-style universe where humanity has left most of its divisions behind and put its energy into better things).

And just to be inconsistent, if I went with the movie I’ve actually seen the most times, probably Die Hard (because better that than all the artificial sweetener they shove down our throats every Christmas).

And yeah, Jaws I—classic, despite the fact that by today’s standards, Bruce the shark looks like a big phony.

I'll check it out.....thanks.
Sounds dreary.

The darkest movie I can think of (The Road) is a movie based on The Road book by Cormac McCarthy..... Very dark, grey....

Should be mandatory viewing for every prepper.
This, is what the end of the world Will look like.
Can You survive?
It’s a great movie. Copies can be hard to find but it has been posted to YouTube. I often compare “Abandon Ship (aka Seven Waves Away) to Lifeboat; and Abandon ship always comes out way ahead.

n2s

I love Groundhogs day as a guilty pleasure category
It's one of the most terrifying/horrific movies ever made!!!
All that Blood, Murder, and Rape.

Other guilty pleasures.....and honorable mentions
Jaws
Humanoids from the Deep
No County for Old Men
The Shining
Amélie
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Shadow of the Vampire
The Galapagos Affair
Being John Malkovich
Fight Club
Valhalla Rising
Nosferatu
The Island of Dr. Moreau
(Val Killer, Marlon Brando, Ron Pearlman)
The Burbs
Pet Cemetery
Royal Tenenbaums, Life Aquatic,
and Rushmore

Best Western: Dead Man (B&W Johnny Depp) if I was a history teacher, I'd show it to my highschool class as a documentary for what the American West was like.... I also like Ravenous (1999) and The Brotherhood of the Wolf

They Live
isn't a science/fiction so much as a documentary too......

Best war movie: Jojo Rabbit

Romance: The Virgin Suicides
this movie Speaks to me on a thousand levels, as I'm a child of the 70's. Very nostalgic film. Beautiful film.

Favorite Horror:. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original from the 70's)
*Actually my all-time favorite movie. It's more fine cinema than horror!
Fun fact......no one dies from a chainsaw. ;)

Sci-fi: Blade Runner, Alien series, Fifth Element, 2001, City of Lost Children, Twelve Monkeys, Legend,

Zombies: Return of the Living Dead

best musical/soundtrack: O Brother Where Art Thou

obviously Die Hard and Gremlins, and the Christmas Story is the best Christmas movie.....Haha

I'm admittedly a movie snob, I like So Many that were already listed, but
*I usually HATE tarientino movies.
He's a Scab who steals and plagiarizes Everything. Way Over rated
I'd rather watch a disney movie........ Nah, I Wouldn't. :)
Didn't Franklin die via chainsaw?

I have to mention Treasure of the Sierra Madra and Citizen Kane. And Big Jake. And Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for instruction on knife fighting rules and cliff jumping. Full Metal Jacket captured USMC boot camp really well and the flavor of what it was like to be in Viet Nam in 1968. Training Day for how to run a drug enforcement unit. Silverado for just a damned good western. Has anyone called out Shane? Or To Kill a Mockingbird? This could go on for a long time....

A tossup between "The Third Man" (1949), and "Great Expectations" (1946).

I can certainly list a lot of other great motion pictures (most of which are mentioned in this thread), but these two vie for the pinnacle.

Didn't Franklin die via chainsaw?
It's been a couple years....
In the woods at night with Sally? Maybe?

Haha.... franklin shouldn't count as he was such a whiny b*tch!
I'd have killed him too! 😂

My 3 all time favorite movies are Blazing Saddles, Blues Brothers, and Dr. Stangelove. Honorable mention are Godfather 1 and 2, Patton, Enemy at the Gates, and the first 3 Star Wars which are episodes 4,5,and 6. Just my humble opinion.

Back