Alone Season 2

Glad David was able to pull it out in the end. Can't wait for Season 3 in a new location.

So what was with the wolf scene? They made it seem like it was part of the show, but they never aired anything about it.
maxresdefault_zpsqgtrym6k.jpg

Yeah! They sure "got" us with that one. My wife and I both were very interested in what the wolf was up to, but apparently it's just random footage. Oh well
Bruce

bralexander - I asked David that same question over on Bushcraft USA Forum... his reply, "I have no idea."

bralexander - I asked David that same question over on Bushcraft USA Forum... his reply, "I have no idea."

Creative editing to suggest additional drama. No good footage of contestants rasselin' bears. It has been an enjoyable show and a good topic for conversation. Oh yeah... Congratulations Dave/pict! And again thanks for sharing with us here.

Yeah I was curious about the dog as well. Watched the last episode today. Congrats again Dave you deserve it!

Just watched the Reunion and thought it was great. Season 3 in Patagonia looks interesting. Going to be fun to see a whole new environment.

Mary Kate brought home a cool scar, but Larry's Alone tattoo....wow.

alone-history-channel1-e1464283595142.jpg

Yep, that's definitely a "one of a kind" tattoo; being Larry is from Minnesota, I wonder how often he gets to take his shirt off outdoors to show it off?

Very cool tattoo for sure, excellent art work!

Just watched the reunion last night to. Great stuff.

It was weird to see how they look being well fed and cleaned up.

Mary Kate brought home a cool scar, but Larry's Alone tattoo....wow.

Getting a mural permanently affixed to your body for something like that doesn't make any sense to me - let alone (no pun intended) in a spot you won't even see 99% of the time - but you gotta give him credit for maintaining a sense of humor about it. Notice the mouse that practically drove him over the edge is a prominent feature? I would have assumed that dude never wanted to see another mouse for as long as he lives. :p

Just got around to finishing this show (busy with other stuff), and wanted to say congrats to Dave. Not only were you up against stiff competition, you really had the worst possible luck in the early going but stuck it out to show some survival fishing mastery. You're one tough guy.

Did they really keep you out there 2 days past Larry? I guess that was worth it to have a family member flown in to tell you that you won. Hopefully there is more footage in the future, and you put up some videos discussing what you have learned.

Great stuff from Larry, Jose, and the others too.

Hey everyone--

I am not a survivalist myself, but I have really enjoyed Alone (both seasons). Being that I am not a survivalist, (and assuming that the editing timeline was close to reality) I found it odd that it seemed that Dave did not start fishing (with a line and for crabs) until day 30 or so. (Please believe me, I mean no disrespect.. just trying to understand...) maybe there is something I am missing, but it seemed odd that a trained survivalist such as Dave would 'forget' that he knows how to line fish for fish and crabs until he was 30 days into this experience.....? Once again, though, not ever having been in a similar situation or having been trained myself, I'm guessing I am just missing some info...

I know he spent a big part of his early days trying to get the gill net to work, but could that really keep someone from remembering/using a related skill (line fishing in this case)...?

Once again, no disrespect, just trying to understand and maybe learn something that I am missing.

Any chance anyone on here could weigh-in?

Thanks in advance!

Yup. You're missing something. It's called editing and happens a lot in TV productions.

I understand editing happens, and I'm not foolish enough to think that when they say "Day 15 - 1:52 p.m.," that they really mean exactly that time and probably in many cases, not even that day. I can understand fudging that reality but even several days or a week or so, but 32 days of wiggle room..?? Seems like that would have been a bit much. And besides, when Dave was talking about finally starting to fish via line for fish and crabs, he was obviously well into the experience, given his appearance (weight loss, beard growth, etc.).

Regarding weight loss etc in 'survival situations' such as Alone, where people have to gain nutrition from their surroundings.

The Truth About Wilderness "Survival": No Better Than Fasting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAdl63XpXX8

Links to reference notes below the video.

Alone 1 and Alone 2 are both mentioned, winners and other participants.
Definately food for thought - if not for the belly.

I didn't look at the link but yeah. Both seasons were a starving competition more or less.

I didn't look at the link but yeah. Both seasons were a starving competition more or less.

You could probably make that comment for Naked and Afraid, but I didn't see that from too many of the Alone contestants. Most of them seemed to be pretty active about their food gathering.

You could probably make that comment for Naked and Afraid, but I didn't see that from too many of the Alone contestants. Most of them seemed to be pretty active about their food gathering.

The research detailed in the video link above, and the notes - links below the video - taking start weights and finish weights,
and comparing them to controled starvations (under medical supervision) suggest that the contestants were not sucessful
at gathering enough nutrients to stay indefinately ie they were slowly, but surely, starving (ultimately to death).

They were simply not eating enough to maintain their bodies, and metabalising body fat, thus the weight loss in every case.
If you watch the video, which skims the researched documents mentioned, this is explained, and indeed backed up by
the research notes refered to.

E.g you need 25 squirrels per day to maintain body weight : or 4 rabbits per day : or 320 clams per day,
Salmon is excellent - provided you can catch it. A racoon will last 4 days, a turkey 2 days in terms of enough calories to catch, prep
and eat it.
The research and video are real eye openers. I am not criticising the contestants on any of the shows in any way,
merely pointing out a very important fact, made clear in the video (and notes).
The weight loss endured by the contestants is consistant with starvation rate weight loss,
and while this may be uncomfortable (Well if they did this ... Well I would do ... It wouldn't happen to me...) it is real!

This research may well stop somebody dying ie they re-evaluate their preparations and skills and abilities in light of it.

the only one who showed any sense at all was Dave M, and he did so only after getting lucky, finding the rope. At least he knew to make a net out of it. It also took him a month to realize that he COULD move down the coast a bit. When you take the right stuff and do the right things, it's 10x easier or more. There's tons of kelp. so make a big wooden mortar and pestle and JUICE the stuff! Fish and game offer no carbs. 2 hours of such juicing produces about a qt of kelp juice, about 400 more calories than you spent getting it. cut a chunk of tarp, use the duct tape to make a dry bag for the camera stuff. Tape the seam of that hard pelican case, wrap it in your other gear and the 2 tarps, and swim behind it to get down the coast. Or cut a few logs and make a pontoon outrigger raft with it. There's nothing saying you can't take a 2 person hammock, 1" mesh, made of 9 strand 750 paracord. So unravel it, remove the outer sheathing, and weave at least 200 sq ft of 3" mesh netting per day for 10 days. Hang each day's netting as a gill net, using sticks as floats and pebbles to weight the bottom edge. For the ends, have a BIG float and a big, thick cordage netting for some really big rocks, to keep the net where you left it. Tides and mudflats SUCK in cold weather, guys.

Alone Season 2 will be premiering in a few weeks:
[video=youtube;68FF0PtwnWw]

Looks like it is Vancouver Island again, and some interesting developments in the gear lists. Several people have taken extra rations (even doubling up at the expense of tarps) while a few of the military/wet weather experienced are taking bivy bags. The latter being a very good choice, I think. I like David McIntyre's setup best, apart from the stainless and folding saw (also would pick him or Mike Lowe to win having to go on bio alone).

Full Bios here (in Canada you'll have to use a proxy to access the American site, or just search 'Alone 2 Cast' with each individual's name and click on 'Cached'):
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

Here's the list for everyone:

Randy Champagne

1. Full Tang stainless steel knife

2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. Fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Crosscut carpenter saw
6. Ax
7. -20° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Handmade bow and 6 arrows (4 broad heads, 2 field points)
10. Wire

Mary Kate Green

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart cast iron pot
4. 300 yards of fishing line and 25 hooks
5. Bow saw
6. 26-inch axe
7. 0° Rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. 12 foot x 12 foot tarp
10. Emergency rations

Nicole Apelian

1. Full Tang curved carbon steel knife with maple handle
2. Ferro rod
3. 16-inch stainless steel pan
4. 200 yards of 30 lb test fishing line, 100 yards of 80 lb test fishing lines and hooks
5. Folding saw
6. 23-inch splitting ax
7. -30° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Mike Lowe

1. Full Tang hunting knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of 50 lb test fishing line and 25 assorted hooks
5. Curved blade saw
6. 2.5 lb hickory handled axe
7. 0° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Jose Martinez Amoedo

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart cast iron pot with lid
4. 300 yards of fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. 1-piece handsaw
6. Ax
7. Canvas and flannel sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Woodworking multi-tool
10. Emergency rations

David McIntyre

1. Stainless steel knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. 270 yards of 50 lb test fishing line, 30 yards of 100 lb test line, 25 circle hooks
5. Straight-blade folding saw
6. 2 lb ax
7. 0° rated sleeping bag
8. Bivy bag with US Army-issue Gore-Tex cover
9. Gill net
10. Emergency rations

Larry Roberts

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
5. Collapsible saw
6. Ax
8. Gill net
9. Paracord
10. Emergency rations

Justin Vititoe

1. Multi-tool with 17 different tools
2. Ferro rod
3. 5 quart pan
4. 10 meters of 8mm climbing rope
5. 1-piece handsaw
6. Ax
7. Down sleeping bag with sleeves
8. Nylon netted hammock
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Desmond White

1. Full Tang knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of 40 lb test fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Folding saw
6. Ax
7. -10° rated sleeping bag
8. Bivy bag with Gore-Tex cover
9. Gill net
10. Emergency rations

Tracy Wilson

1. Hunting knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. 200 yards of 40 lb test fishing line, 100 yards of 20 lb test line and 25 hooks
5. Collapsible saw
6. 3 lb ax
7. -40° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations
Alone Season 2 will be premiering in a few weeks:
[video=youtube;68FF0PtwnWw]

Looks like it is Vancouver Island again, and some interesting developments in the gear lists. Several people have taken extra rations (even doubling up at the expense of tarps) while a few of the military/wet weather experienced are taking bivy bags. The latter being a very good choice, I think. I like David McIntyre's setup best, apart from the stainless and folding saw (also would pick him or Mike Lowe to win having to go on bio alone).

Full Bios here (in Canada you'll have to use a proxy to access the American site, or just search 'Alone 2 Cast' with each individual's name and click on 'Cached'):
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

Here's the list for everyone:

Randy Champagne

1. Full Tang stainless steel knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. Fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Crosscut carpenter saw
6. Ax
8. Gill net
9. Handmade bow and 6 arrows (4 broad heads, 2 field points)
10. Wire

Mary Kate Green

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart cast iron pot
4. 300 yards of fishing line and 25 hooks
5. Bow saw
6. 26-inch axe
7. 0° Rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. 12 foot x 12 foot tarp
10. Emergency rations

Nicole Apelian

1. Full Tang curved carbon steel knife with maple handle
2. Ferro rod
3. 16-inch stainless steel pan
4. 200 yards of 30 lb test fishing line, 100 yards of 80 lb test fishing lines and hooks
5. Folding saw
6. 23-inch splitting ax
7. -30° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Mike Lowe

1. Full Tang hunting knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of 50 lb test fishing line and 25 assorted hooks
5. Curved blade saw
6. 2.5 lb hickory handled axe
7. 0° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Jose Martinez Amoedo

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart cast iron pot with lid
5. 1-piece handsaw
6. Ax
7. Canvas and flannel sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Woodworking multi-tool
10. Emergency rations

David McIntyre

1. Stainless steel knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. 270 yards of 50 lb test fishing line, 30 yards of 100 lb test line, 25 circle hooks
5. Straight-blade folding saw
6. 2 lb ax
7. 0° rated sleeping bag
8. Bivy bag with US Army-issue Gore-Tex cover
9. Gill net
10. Emergency rations

Larry Roberts

1. Bushcraft knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
5. Collapsible saw
6. Ax
8. Gill net
9. Paracord
10. Emergency rations

Justin Vititoe

1. Multi-tool with 17 different tools
2. Ferro rod
3. 5 quart pan
4. 10 meters of 8mm climbing rope
5. 1-piece handsaw
6. Ax
7. Down sleeping bag with sleeves
8. Nylon netted hammock
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Desmond White

1. Full Tang knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot with lid
4. 300 yards of 40 lb test fishing lines and 25 assorted hooks
5. Folding saw
6. Ax
7. -10° rated sleeping bag
8. Bivy bag with Gore-Tex cover
9. Gill net
10. Emergency rations

Tracy Wilson

1. Hunting knife
2. Ferro rod
3. 2 quart pot
4. 200 yards of 40 lb test fishing line, 100 yards of 20 lb test line and 25 hooks
5. Collapsible saw
6. 3 lb ax
7. -40° rated sleeping bag
8. Gill net
9. Emergency rations
10. Emergency rations

Back