Alright convince me why I should buy a ZT

Yo Napot kivanok!

You should start with an 0560CBCF.

No longer available new, but you can find some unused examples on the exchange.

It's the knife that has "everything ZT" in it, or would that be, on it?!....anyway, a great knife that I think is the perfection introduction to what ZT is as a knife company.

Yo Napot kivanok!

You should start with an 0560CBCF.

No longer available new, but you can find some unused examples on the exchange.

It's the knife that has "everything ZT" in it, or would that be, on it?!....anyway, a great knife that I think is the perfection introduction to what ZT is as a knife company.

Jó estét, hogy vagy? ;)

I'm gonna hafta make a list and look up some pics and specs. :)

There's only one way to be convinced, own one.
There's been a few models that were not flippers, I think currently they're flippers. I don't mind the flippers, it makes one handed opening a breeze. I've only been in two situations that the flipper came in handy and neither one was life threatening, more like a convenience.
For the price point, they're some of the best bang for the buck.
We're not getting any younger, while the wanting to try new things spark is there, why not indulge in a ZT.
Having a ZT will be something different, that's all.

Really like them for a carry knife. I carry a 350 daily for work. The 0452cf is my "going out" knife. The 909 is my hiking folder. Such a beast of a knife.

I'm itching for a full titanium folder next.

Well, I've lost a long post, due to ignorance, but here's the gist. I've owned a lot of ZT models, but this 0808 is a mid-sized sweetheart that might tempt me to leave my large Sebbie and AVO in the safe. It's large enough and small enough and tough enough. Here's some points that make this a standout among ZT's.
Blade length, width, and S35VN steel. Solid no-stick lockup at about 40% that doesn't move under thumb pressure. Lockbar steel insert. Smooth, manual flipper on KVT bearing. Chamfered, conformal grip that feels slim and good. And yes, you can find one "as-new" pretty regularly on the Exchange for $150 or so. A darned nice knife.

ZT customer service is second to none. They made solid high quality knives with great steel options.

For an old school kind of overbuilt zt i would suggest the zt0560, zt0801, or zt0300. I still have a 0560 being thats my favorite 'big' one. Detents in them tend to be a little weak for flipping, but the blades so heavy that it does most the work. I think 0801 was the most balanced mechanical wise.
My favorite overall is the zt0452cf. Its like a medium-sized zt, that is light, slim, and still remains the best looking one to me. Most the detents in them are really strong though. They require a break in cycle or modification if your impatient.
Ive owned 0560, 0801, 0452cf, 0450cf, 0300, 0350, 0808, 0801.

And yeah the tomahawk looks pretty awesome, still kicking myself for not buying one on the exchange for really cheap recently.

The convincing really comes with the owning and using. You will hear stories for and against, but most people who use their ZT's understand why the brand is so popular and why they are doing so much right. Great quality, fantastic designs and some of the best customer service in the industry. Top that off with American Made and you just can not go wrong.

The question comes down to which ZT to get? I read you are thinking about maybe starting with one of the knives that put them on the map. I would have to say that is either the ZT0301 or ZT0350. They no longer make the 301 so you will probably have to buy one second hand or maybe find a dealer or 2 with some still in stock. The next knives that really set them off and running are the 560 and 562CF. Out of these I like the 562CF and it seems to be more popular (based on our sales numbers). I can understand looking for a little piece of their history as a true knife knut like yourself but do not overlook their newer models. The 220, 909 and 804CF are all beastly knives that will definitely put the overbuilt, quality made goodness in your hand, and still give you the true sense of what a Zero Tolerance knife is all about. Good luck in your decision. If you decide to buy one, I hope you will report back your thoughts after using the knife for a month.

Top to bottom 220, 909, 301, 804CF and 560BW

https://flic.kr/p/FPeBYj https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

Well, I've lost a long post, due to ignorance, but here's the gist. I've owned a lot of ZT models, but this 0808 is a mid-sized sweetheart that might tempt me to leave my large Sebbie and AVO in the safe. It's large enough and small enough and tough enough. Here's some points that make this a standout among ZT's.
Blade length, width, and S35VN steel. Solid no-stick lockup at about 40% that doesn't move under thumb pressure. Lockbar steel insert. Smooth, manual flipper on KVT bearing. Chamfered, conformal grip that feels slim and good. And yes, you can find one "as-new" pretty regularly on the Exchange for $150 or so. A darned nice knife.

Thanks and thanks for the photo comparison it helps with perspective and size, as far as tryin' one, I wanted a Sebenza from day one, hell I wanted a CR one piece knife from day one. It took me 25 years till I pulled the trigger on a Sebenza and even then I traded for one rather than drop $350. I'm glad I got a Sebenza and feel like an idiot for not buyin' one earlier and can't imagine bein' without one now. Let's just hope I don't wait so long with the ZTs, are there any passarounds with a ZT that anyone's aware of?

BTW thanks Stabman, those were great posts.

You're welcome. :)
I should be able to show a bit more use of the 0804CF after the weekend, if all goes as planned.
Use and carry so far tells me it should work out just fine, but I'll know for sure afterward.

I think once you have gone where you have gone (sebbie ect ect) the zt might not do it for you .
But if you see one you like .... :)

I like all sorts as far as zt I have an 0560 great flipper. And as soon as I saw that stabby 0452 I had to grab one as I like large folders

( this is one knife that absolutely uses the maximum amount of blade that can fit in the handle)

Also there is a little less guilt using a sub 300$ knife but you've already broken that barrier :)

I agree with those touting the 0560/0561 series. IMO, ZT peaked with that model. It'll be a classic and I'm glad I own them.

I don't like ZT's newest line/models they've been introducing for about a year now. Too radical design changes, strange blades, ugly enhancement features, and a numbering system I lost track of quickly. None of the current models appeal to me aesthetically.

They are good knives though. If you like one of the current models, buy one.

I have the 0452cf and the 0200, they are both fine knives.

0cBn9a6.jpg

i1N30px.jpg

XZNAgwu.jpg

TmfLw6e.jpg

I've been buyin' knives for an awfully long time, goin' on 40+ years now, up until a few years ago I had every Knife periodical and many of the collector's guides so I'm no youngster in this game by a long stretch.

I'm far from a newbie and I think my time on BFC speaks for itself in regards what I know about cutlery but when it comes to Zero Tolerance I hafta admit I'm totally ignorant. I don't know one model from another, which are most desirable and which are standards everyone should have in their collection or ECD rotation.

I've got Sebenzas, Benchmades, Benchmarks, SOGs, Gerbers, Emerson, customs, I'd say I'm pretty diverse as far as what I collect and use so here's your chance to influence what might possibly be my next experiment in cutlery, give me solid reasons why or why not I should get into ZTs. By all means share pics of your knives (ZTs only) and stories about how wonderful or horrible they are, please no fiction only facts. Thanks, I look forward to an engaging discussion.

Hey friend . What model are you interested in? I've owned basically the lineup when it comes to zts .

Basically you are getting a lot of knife for the money fit and finish and actions are as good as any Imho.

Great warranty and they have blade replacement service. If you want a slicer the 0770cf is possibly my best slicer and that includes spydercos etc.

The 0909 is a nice knife , thick liners ,good action, better ergos etc. Only gripe is the jumping on the flipper can eat your finger if you finger bang the knife a lot .

My only problem just came about a few days ago. I have an 801 that's a few years old . If you squeeze the lock it goes to 100% and wedges itself open ,that's after 2 years of use though.

The 630 is possibly the smoothest no it is the smoothest action of any folder I've handled you'll swear it's on bearings but it's not .

Simple to take down and maintain .

Another gripe and this is personal here . I don't like the factory edge angles at all . I've reprofiled all I've decided to keep and carry .

Dang forget I have the 562 in m390 and carbon fiber . Same as the rest of them except is cuts a lot better . Seems like ZT may run there m390 a little softer than other companies , same with s35vn .

Now it's not bad in any sense of the word . Elmax is a great steel regardless of what may of happened or may not of happened years ago Elmax is good stuff the 0770cf will slice with the best of them . Personally I'd go with an n390 or whatever version they use of m390 or similar steel first say a 562cf. If those don't do it for you I don't have enough time with ZTs s35vn to say I'd get it over Elma but I have a lot of time with Elmax and it's a great steel.

I like the CF models mostly because I like a light knife but I'd like to experience the overbuilt tank of a knife.

PURPLEDC, if I were to start off with one that best represents the brand and what they were when they started out, a historical ZT, not necessarily the very first but the first that mad them a household name, (at least in househo;ds where they talk about knives ;) ) which one would that be?

I vote the 0550. I've owned a half dozen and they're consistently smooth, solid, and tank-like.

The quintessential ZT for me is the 0560. The 550 is right there as well. 0562cf is maybe the best ZT I have owned. I've had a couple of 801s and 200s. My deassisted 301 is not going anywhere. They are well made and backed by a great company. However, lite they are not. If I were to get one of their new models it would be that 909 pictured above. It is the most true to their roots ZT of the new lineup IMO.

20160518_163252_zpszg9lb8bn.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with ZT Customer Service. I mailed off my 0566 on the 9th of May and had it back yesterday the 18th. I paid $30 and had a new blade put on. It came back much nicer than when it left my house. They replaced the pivot, handle screws, clip, and torsion bar. The reason for needing (wanting) a new blade was I let some "professional" local knife sharpening knucklehead sharpen my knife. Let's just say the original blade shape was grossly altered.

If I were to start off with one that best represents the brand and what they were when they started out, a historical ZT, not necessarily the very first but the first that mad them a household name, (at least in househo;ds where they talk about knives ;) ) which one would that be?

This is JMO, but I think this is the knife that really put them on the map: The 0777 series:

IMAG2685_BURST002_zpsdde4bd6c.jpg

ZT0777-1_zps3a8c2282.jpg

Back