Alright convince me why I should buy a ZT

Honestly not a fan
Every zt I have had was pretty lame in comparison to my other knives
I had a 560 which I thought would rock but the Elmax steel kinda sucked and the thing was thick and overall a disappointment
The only one I'd have any interest in buying would be a 450cf
Thing looks sweet!
Otherwise you can buy better knives( spydie sprints) for basically the same price soo...
Not gonna lie I have been considering giving the 560 another chance tho..

Same here. I've fondeled more ZTs than I could count and never got me excited enough to spend the money. I'm also not at all into flipper design knives. Early on in my knife collecting I thought they were cool, but that quickly went away as I got deeper into the hobby. all of ZTs flippers just remind me of a heavier, more expensive Walmart Kershaw product. There are just too many other great knife makers out there that put out solid products at a much better value to me to mess around with heavy gaudy looking knives. If I'm going to spend up over $200-$250 I'm going to go with a Sabenza or something similar.

I will say that the fan base of ZT here is obviously quite large because any time someone makes a negative remark about them they all come a running. I'm sure I will get some kind of respond to my opinion here, but there are so many nice knives out there and we are all lucky to have so many choices to take care of everyone's personal taste.

OP I would suggest going to a knife show and really spending some time handling some different ZT products before you spend the money. Lots of people love them, but lots of people also hate them, and it's a lot of money to spend to be disappointed. Also I've noticed that ZT seems to have way more issues posted here then any other brands. Lots of lock failures and broken blades from what I've seen. I'm sure things go in phases but it just seems that they have a lot of failures in comparison to other competitor brands.

I wouldn't call myself a total fan but when I see a quality made product I notice. That is what has made me keep coming back to the Chris Reeves knives, but the price puts me off. I had to handle a few different models first to get a feel for them which I did at a knife store. I am not really into pocket bricks, but on the other hand my favorite traditional knife is the GEC #42 (4.25" closed) which some consider a pocket brick. So, I guess it just depends on the knife. Handling them, I just wanted to feel what most everyone seems to like.

If you buy one sight unseen, I would choose a model that is sized about what you are comfortable with and don't accept a flipper when you want an assisted or vice versa. Also I would look at the blade thickness and judge if you are comfortable with a particular model.

Same here. I've fondeled more ZTs than I could count and never got me excited enough to spend the money. I'm also not at all into flipper design knives. Early on in my knife collecting I thought they were cool, but that quickly went away as I got deeper into the hobby. all of ZTs flippers just remind me of a heavier, more expensive Walmart Kershaw product. There are just too many other great knife makers out there that put out solid products at a much better value to me to mess around with heavy gaudy looking knives. If I'm going to spend up over $200-$250 I'm going to go with a Sabenza or something similar.

I will say that the fan base of ZT here is obviously quite large because any time someone makes a negative remark about them they all come a running. I'm sure I will get some kind of respond to my opinion here, but there are so many nice knives out there and we are all lucky to have so many choices to take care of everyone's personal taste.

OP I would suggest going to a knife show and really spending some time handling some different ZT products before you spend the money. Lots of people love them, but lots of people also hate them, and it's a lot of money to spend to be disappointed. Also I've noticed that ZT seems to have way more issues posted here then any other brands. Lots of lock failures and broken blades from what I've seen. I'm sure things go in phases but it just seems that they have a lot of failures in comparison to other competitor brands.

Your views are valid and appreciated, but I don't really agree with them:)

But variety is the spice of life. Enjoy :)

That's my favorite also. Pretty much feels like carrying a Delica in your pocket, but better.

Hi Ted -

I would also recommend the ZT0770CF since you like carbon fiber and lighter knives.

My version is the kniveshipfree version with M4 steel - ZT0770CFM4

D71_3904.JPG

If you are leaning to something larger an heavier, the ZT0620CF has the carbon fiber, but it's not a small or light knife -

0620cf_profile_1020x400.png

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0620cf

If you like a lighter knife, but still larger - you should look at the ZT0452CF - it is a great, slim Sinkevich design that is light. I love the styling of the ZT0450/452/454 models.

0452cf_profile_1020x400.png

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0452cf

And lastly, if you wanted to check out a Hinderer collaboration, the ZT05562CF is a great choice; it has many of the features and design queues that made people love the ZT0560, in a refined style. Another one that I really like.

0562cf_profile_1020x400_bladeshow.png

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0562cf

I literally have just about all of the ZT offerings, so if you have one in mind you would like to try and have not already been offered a test drive, just let me know.

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Nearly a year later and because of the generosity of a member and old friend here I've carried both the 0808 Ti Rexford and the 0770CF AO for nearly a year and they've both been in my pocket and used daily since I got them. To my benefactor thank you so much again I've literally enjoyed these 2 knives to the extent that it's allowed me to forget some of the long road of physical therapy behind and still ahead of me.

What I've learned about ZT in the last year.

1) They make some of the sexiest production knives for the money.
2) Their flippers especially the ones with the caged bearings are unbelievably fast and smooth.
3) They make tough EDC knives as well as knife jewelry, there's no reason you can't make a fun sexy knife for a reasonable price that's also quite the functional cutter.
4) Elmax is the S**T, I love how easily it takes an edge and it keeps it very well, from what I see performance wise it's very similar to M390 at least on the peck sheets.
5) I love the fact that they use back spacers instead of standoffs, one of the reasons I keep my Sebenza in a leather slipcase is so the fully open back doesn't allow my pocket debris to come in contact with the cutting edge while clipped to my pocket.
6) I love the feel of both knives in hand, the 0770CF has just the right amount of belly for slicing and does very well in most utility applications but I do love it for my dinner knife. The modified sheepsfoot which if you look at it is more of a reverse tan to makes a great work knife. With it's reinforced tip it punctures an can with ease and it's great for cuttin' out gaskets.

There is no perfect knife and these 2 are no exception but I have no problem makin' sure they're the first 2 knives clipped to my pockets when I get up.

I can't complain about much since the issues are so minor if hasn't stopped me from carryin' both knives every day.

The 0808 Rexford, my only complaint is that the flipper/guard gets in the way when you try to slice on a bench or a table. The flipper/guard prevents you from bringin' the entire edge of the knife in contact with the material your cuttin' unless the handle hangs off the table. No problem, the 0770CF has a nice about of belly to cut through most of the way.

As for the 0770CF? I can't think of any real complaint other than to soften some of the edges like on the flipper and make a un assisted version with phosphor bronze bushings.

I'd recommend both of these knives to anyone lookin' to check out ZTs. Next one will have to be one of the original tank built earlier models. :)

Here they are few sharpenings and a year later...

ihlvBZY.jpg

sHKUmbH.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who responded and a special thanks to one particular member. I saw this thread while I was searchin' and saw the date so I figured I'd follow up on my impressions. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing. I for one enjoy reading your post, which is based on your personal first hand experience.

Back