Alright convince me why I should buy a ZT

You'll probably get different answers to that question, and this is JMO, but I think this is the knife that really put them on the map: The 0777 series:

IMAG2685_BURST002_zpsdde4bd6c.jpg

ZT0777-1_zps3a8c2282.jpg
That's a beautiful knife. I need to look into that model.
Are you AD Navy?

We're not going to "convince" you based on technical data - you've been around long enough that once you started thinking about it, you would have familiarized yourself with that stuff. All that's left is subjective; and that's just too, well, subjective. I've got a large micarta 21 insingo, a Southard Tolk, Strider SNG CC, Hinderer XM18 (3.5"), etc, etc, etc; but the knife that has been in my pocket almost exclusively (except for the 8 months I forced it out to try those other knives) is the ZT 0200kw.
The textured G10 was rough on my pockets, so I ground it down - that made a huge difference. It fit my hand perfectly before...but suddenly it felt like it belonged there. Sure, it's a fairly large knife, and many people balk at the size; but I like it - it's one of the best fitting/feeling knives I've ever used. It's also "heavy" - people squawk about knives over 5 oz, mine weighed in at 7.85 oz after I ground down the scales. I don't really notice it in my pocket if I'm wearing jeans, khakis, or cargo pants. It's not a knife that lends it self to business or formal wear...but that shouldn't need saying.
I'm also a fan of the 0560 - it's comfortable in hand and pocket, flips smoothly (as long as one knows how to open a Hinderer)...and it has functional thumbstuds. As has been mentioned, the detent is fairly light (the same can be said for the 0200). That was intentional...and I actually prefer it to the stiff detents of the newer dedicated flippers. I like that I can break the detent with minimal effort, and open the knife slowly when I choose to do so.
The 0550 - one of my favorites...but I find that I like it too much to carry. It's another one that people either love or hate; and the haters usually reference the thickness and weight, as well as the some difficulty opening them when new.
I never really got into the 0300 - that one felt big in the pocket.
There are many more, depending on your tastes. The various iterations of the 0770, subsequent Hinderer collabs, etc. It really comes down to what you want in a knife, and what style you like. My biggest gripe about the current models is that they're all dedicated flippers.

You've got a PM incoming.

I have 3, all bought from USAmadeblade. All anodized by Whitty and each one is a winner!
I have a 450, 452CF and a 562CF. All 3 have exceptional action and flip great. All 3 are perfectly centered with no movement. All 3 cut very well. All 3 have beautiful blade shapes.
These are the only 3 I've handled and none will be for sale any time soon.
Joe
f2fd534ce8f3ae1bbe2b1b4972ddbcfb.jpg

99d539ea5c3cab0fb2251a73043e5364.jpg

64f7923e583da7dc9c67905258be69b3.jpg

For me, the model that drove me over the line from liking them to absolutely loving them, was the 562CF. It just seemed too perfect for the broadest range of use. But almost felt that for just about every one I've purchased since also. The fit and finish of every recent sample I've acquired is bordering perfect. Here's a few to look at....

23ifqza.jpg

qq4nzk.jpg

How about I send you one to check out? Seriously - no strings - just shoot me a message or email. I've got three 0770's, and I wouldn't mind sending one your way to play with. Unless you're not digging the 0770 styling, then I'd totally understand. Anyhow, the 0770 is the model that got my into ZT's (that's why I have three of them - you never know if they're gonna be discontinued, right!).

Anyway, lemme know, brother. Here's a couple pics for ya':

These are the only ZT's I own. I like the Hinderer design finger guards. The larger 560 fits my hand better, but the build quality of the 562 is much better. Both knives carry remarkably well in pocket.

ZT 560BW
B4XX18i.jpg

ZT 562CF
Wj2XalY.jpg

Last edited:
For me, the model that drove me over the line from liking them to absolutely loving them, was the 562CF. It just seemed too perfect for the broadest range of use. But almost felt that for just about every one I've purchased since also. The fit and finish of every recent sample I've acquired is bordering perfect. Here's a few to look at....

23ifqza.jpg

qq4nzk.jpg

You need a 030X my friend to round out the collection :).

Honestly not a fan
Every zt I have had was pretty lame in comparison to my other knives
I had a 560 which I thought would rock but the Elmax steel kinda sucked and the thing was thick and overall a disappointment
The only one I'd have any interest in buying would be a 450cf
Thing looks sweet!
Otherwise you can buy better knives( spydie sprints) for basically the same price soo...
Not gonna lie I have been considering giving the 560 another chance tho..

That anodizing is all win. My next zt will come from Scott and be anodized for sure, nice blades you got there.
I have 3, all bought from USAmadeblade. All anodized by Whitty and each one is a winner!
I have a 450, 452CF and a 562CF. All 3 have exceptional action and flip great. All 3 are perfectly centered with no movement. All 3 cut very well. All 3 have beautiful blade shapes.
These are the only 3 I've handled and none will be for sale any time soon.
Joe
f2fd534ce8f3ae1bbe2b1b4972ddbcfb.jpg

99d539ea5c3cab0fb2251a73043e5364.jpg

64f7923e583da7dc9c67905258be69b3.jpg

Thanks Chris!
Scott does an amazing job. Have all 3 for quite some time. They've been carried and used plenty. The ano looks great!
I'd definitely highly recommend Scott. Absolute pleasure to deal with and he'll go above and beyond to make sure you get squared away. Great dealer!!
Joe

Because it's sexyyyyy!
c524e6b4c6222fcc2beeed747f671a17.jpg

752CF. This one is also less than five oz. which is the perfect weight to go unnoticed in the pocket. Since I bought this, I have no other need for any other folder!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they are some of the nicest production knives on the market. Design methodology, aesthetics are more opinions/preferences, but in terms build quality, materials used, and warranty support, they are an outstanding value.

I currently have the 0801, 0562CF, and 0392. I've sold many of my higher end customs and mid-techs as these ZTs really check all the right boxes for me (operative word being "me").

Honestly, ZT filled a niche when everyone was filling their pants over "overbuilt hard use knives" which has calmed down somewhat since but become a market of its own. The current offerings are much more focused on being varied but effective cutting tools as opposed to the bricks that cut like bricks that they had produced for a while.

The 0770CF is really hard to beat as a cutting tool. Lightweight, good looks, good steel, good price. I would suggest that, maybe the 0909 and 0804CF just based on what I have heard from others (no personal experience or interest)

I will say that I was massively impressed with the build quality of the 0392 models I have handled, but the price point on those is way out of proportion with the materials. Collector pricing and all that. If they were a production model, I would recommend one of those if you want that "classic" ZT feel while still actually being able to cut things.

Aside from that, the 0200 was easily the cuttingest of the older models that I can think of off the top of my head. You might seriously look into getting your hands on a 0600 if you really want a big honking tank of a knife. If you want a big knife that's light and slicy, check out the 0452CF.

If you want a good knife that has a lot going for it, you would do well with the 0770CF, 0801 (I can't believe I just remembered this model; it is excellent!), 0808, 0450, and 0566.

It's pretty clear that ZT has the field well covered. IMO, the majority of their models are designed for heavier duty that I would need. I've owned perhaps ten or more models, but never held onto any of them. I don't personally want any folder greater than five ounces, so even the CRK Zaan and Sebbie just barely fit in my good bucket.
On the other end, you have the 0770...a fine folder. I've had both the M390 and the Elmax version, and they are both exceptional, although this model is too short for me to hold onto. I did just buy the 0880, as I mentioned earlier, and it's a fine "mid-size" which will stay with me for a while...
ZT makes something for everybody...you are bound to be able to find one that fits, and they have a wide range of nice blade-steels to pick from...

Oh man. Why did you guys have to tell him about the 0770CF? Now he'll buy one and the price will increase.
It's my lightest knife which still can do everything I need a knife to do. It's elmax slipped into concrete when cutting irrigation tubing and showed no chipping.
I better shut up now.
Nothing to see.

let me put it this way: anyone who has never tried out or owned a ZT should not claim him/herself to be a knife person.

Oh man. Why did you guys have to tell him about the 0770CF? Now he'll buy one and the price will increase.
It's my lightest knife which still can do everything I need a knife to do. It's elmax slipped into concrete when cutting irrigation tubing and showed no chipping.
I better shut up now.
Nothing to see.

I agree . Para what??lol this sentence is gonna cause a stir but I stick to it .

Thanks folks for all the input, I have gotten 2 generous offers to check them out and I'll be getting back to you guys. You're right I see the specs, and the pics are helpful but the next phase is to hold one in hand. So what I'm going to do is make a list and put faces to all the models I'd like to check out. I'm going to keep this thread going with my thoughts and what I find out and when I'm ready to check some out I'll post pics and opinions as I take them and form them.

For the next few weeks I'll be busy getting ready for the Mrs back surgery beginning of next month and once she's home and settled in I'll have time to play around with em and get a feel for whether I want to get 1 or 2 or 10 ;) it took me 25 years to get a Sebenza and I had a second one in less than a year and am looking into getting a large 25 for my next Sebenza.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the CF models seem to be more light duty, more refined. I'm a big fan of CF I have a CF Warren Thomas/Beretta Avenger with a CF/VG10 laminated blade, this is a big hunk of knife, very strong and very lightweight, not unlike some of the chunkier ZTs but I wouldn't dare do to it what I do to my Sebenza. I have some serious research to do and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along in the upcoming weeks.

I want to thank you folks again for helping me out, there's a reason BFC is the best knife forum on the internet and it's people like you who have knives as the common denominator and a desire to expand their knowledge and share their stories, thanks.

Stay tuned to this thread as it unfolds and we see what ZT I'll pick as my first. :)

Need convincing? You obviously are interested and curious. Which to me means you will eventually buy one. Choose carefully. I read so much about how everyone liked them that last year I bought my first, the 0770CF which I have been very pleased with. It is just the right size for regular carry. It's assisted which makes it a bit of a novelty for me as I don't have many assisted openers. That was something I first got into about 5 years ago and then moved on. Been very pleased with the knife. Now I am semi-interested in another.... but I don't want metal scales; pretty much has to be carbon fiber.

My suggestion is to go handle a few at a knife store if that is possible. That is pretty much what I did and I looked at the big ones and when the 0770CF was released, I sensed I would be happy with it as the size works for me. The smoothness is one of the things that impressed me.

I picked up the ZT 0456, chunker but pretty tuff

ZT0456_closed.jpg~original

ZT0456_partial.jpg~original

ZT0456_open.jpg~original

G2

Back