Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

All of the pictured knives look great. The ones that appeal to me right off the bat include the ARK, Gail Bradley, Firefly, and K2. CPM 10V should be pretty interesting, not to mention the nice clean design of the knife. Since I do often carry a neck knife, the ARK looks like a perfect little convenient carry blade. Mike

Well. It's been a long time since I've had a Spyderco. That Frontier has my utmost attention. I'll take two thanks.

Seems like the knives that catch my attention the most are right hand carry only models. Really depressing, for me a lefty.
Saw the Lil LionSpy and said “Oh no! Not another right carry only…why?” But then I noticed something novel on one of Mr Blonde’s fantastic photos that made me do a double take. The clip was attached to the butt of the knife allowing for 180 degree pivot so that even I will have the blessing of left hand carry. At least on this knife.

"Lefties Unite!" or maybe "Lefty Power" how about "Ignored Minority,""Lefties leaning Right"

Last edited:
I've been thinking a lot about the ARK. It's difficult to find an option that works well for runners. I'm not much of a runner when when I do run I usually have to wear workout pants with a zipper so I can throw one of my lighter knives in my pocket such as the Delica or Endura. But exercise clothes are designed without any rigid contact points that support knife carry. That's where the ark might come into play; a small lightweight knife that is rust resistant and can be put under a shirt while on a jog. Although having it bounce around might be annoying? The best option would be to have some kind of discreet wrist band that looks like a sweat band? I suppose that would be easy enough to have a local seamstress customize.

I realize that pepper spray is probably the best option for dogs and most people, I'm just focusing on knife options at this specific moment.

Hello Farid !
it's looks great ! it would be nice to get this from Spyderco,but from you it would be more better !

Hello Farid !
it's looks great ! it would be nice to get this from Spyderco,but from you it would be more better !

Hello slava, good to talk to you the other day, you already have the CPM REX 121 version so you know the K2 very well. Spyderco CPM-10v version is certainly going to be very high performance and a highly engineered tool.

Hello!

Farid, my friend! Great to see your K2 in here! Amazing move by Spyderco (this will indeed become my very first Spyderco...)!

I am lucky enough to own two K2 customs and can only say that we are all in for a real treat! :)

Best regards,
Alex

Hello Alex, thank you for your support and I am sure the Spyderco 10v version will become part of your K2 collection. Lets talk later my old friend. F

Seems like the knives that catch my attention the most are right hand carry only models. Really depressing, for me a lefty.
Saw the Lil LionSpy and said “Oh no! Not another right carry only…why?” But then I noticed something novel on one of Mr Blonde’s fantastic photos that made me do a double take. The clip was attached to the butt of the knife allowing for 180 degree pivot so that even I will have the blessing of left hand carry. As least on this knife.

"Lefties Unite!" or maybe "Lefty Power" how about "Ignored Minority,""Lefties leaning Right"

I'm with you BIG time!!!!!!

I've been thinking a lot about the ARK. It's difficult to find an option that works well for runners. I'm not much of a runner when when I do run I usually have to wear workout pants with a zipper so I can throw one of my lighter knives in my pocket such as the Delica or Endura. But exercise clothes are designed without any rigid contact points that support knife carry. That's where the ark might come into play; a small lightweight knife that is rust resistant and can be put under a shirt while on a jog. Although having it bounce around might be annoying? The best option would be to have some kind of discreet wrist band that looks like a sweat band? I suppose that would be easy enough to have a local seamstress customize.

I realize that pepper spray is probably the best option for dogs and most people, I'm just focusing on knife options at this specific moment.

Perhaps converting one of those iPod /phone Velcro arm bands might be the way to go? The ARK is 5 inches overall, might just slip right in there....

A lot of cool stuff, and different strokes for different folks....

I like ARK, Dragonfly super blue, Dog tag, Chubby, Dice. New models reach these shores at least 6 months after the States, and we are unlikely to get them all. So i make a list and then i see what pops up!

I’m back from a wonderful IWA Show, so here’s my next batch of photos from the various concept models, prototypes and production samples that were shown at the Amsterdam Meet.

This Mike Draper design folder has a very interesting look. It’s long and slender like a Police model, but at the same time it’s a bit wider and more rounded. It’s not my personal cup of proverbial tea. But if you like long slender folders, this is just the ticket. IIRC, The blue on this folder was done using the same process as on the tattoo Cricket & Dragonfly.

Since the specifications of the Mike Draper are already in the new catalog, we didn’t collect any measurements of this folder.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_handlespine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_mikedraper_clipside.jpg

The Native 5 Lightweight was a nice surprise, as I didn’t remember seeing this version last year. The handle has no liners in it, but there are little steel ‘barrels’ with threading in the handle, for a positive lock-up of the clip screws when you want to set up the clip for e.g. left-handed or tip-down carry. This one’s definitely on my wish list.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight_spacer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_native5lightweight_clipside.jpg

Although this very special Paramilitary 2 sprint was already shipping, Eric and Sal brought it along with them to the Amsterdam Meet.

IIRC, the most important reason to try and make this CPM 154/S90v composite blade was ‘to see if it could be done’. I remember Eric explaining that this blade has no real practical benefits over a regular S90V blade. However, it was a very complicated process to successfully combine these two steels in this composite blade. Hopefully, the knowledge gained during this process for this Paramilitary 2 Sprint, will lead to other related innovations that will prove practical. There will be more knives by Spyderco with this type of composite blade, but not in a Paramilitary 2 frame.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint_blade_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint_blade_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint_blade_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2014_productionsample_paramilitary2compositesprint_clipside.jpg

Even though the Mike Draper is beautiful from a Mr Blonde's more distant photo, a closeup reveals roughness around the edges. I hope for you righty carry only people, that that otherwise beautiful eye candy, will get refined. For me...oh well. Snubbed again as a minority left hander. (give me some cheese with my whine)

Back